SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    'Red Platoon' -- book about Afghanistan battle for COP Keating -- authored by MOH winner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'Red Platoon' -- book about Afghanistan battle for COP Keating -- authored by MOH winner Login/Join 
posted
If you like true accounts of combat action this is an excellent, easy-to-read book about one of the major engagements in the GWOT

a lot is said about the 'Greatest Generation' but when you read accounts like this you realize the USA is still fully capable of producing battlefield heroes

God Bless these modern day vets

in any case it is written by Clinton Romesha who earned the MOH for his valor that day - just an incredible story on many levels

the book has been out for a few years - and 2 movies about it are forthcoming ... one starring Casey Affleck and the other Clint Eastwood's son - Scott Eastwood

not a 'fun' book to read - but a powerful one nonetheless

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good read, I ordered it. Will receive it Monday.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
I read that book this past winter and I concur 100%.

It is an excellent read.

Posts: 1295 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will check out the book. What amazes me is the persons or persons who thought it was tactically sound to base troops at the bottom of that valley were not court martialed.
One photo I saw of the base showed destroyed Soviet BMPs on the base perimeter, left over from the Russian invasion.
That should have been a hint.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
What amazes me is the persons or persons who thought it was tactically sound to base troops at the bottom of that valley were not court martialed.

no doubt

in addition -- various requests to further improve their defensive fortifications were 'vetoed' by commanders which is another travesty

and there are at least 2 other absolutely dumbfounding aspects pertaining to their perimeter I won't give away...

in spite of all this having the deck so completely stacked against them - their heroism was off the charts

what I liked about the book - it captures the teamwork, spirit, and courage of SMALL UNIT action. Forget area, global, theater level operations or strategy. It's about fighting with what you have RIGHT NOW with the men to your left and right.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I read another book about the battle. "The Outpost: An Untold Story of American Valor," by Jake Tapper.

https://www.amazon.com/Outpost...books&sr=1-2-catcorr

As much as I despise the author, it was a good book.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read the book last summer and thought it was a terrific read.

I also read the book the Sigmund mentioned in his post and it just pissed me off.

We have talked about the leadership failures regarding the firebases that they located at the bottom of the Korengal Valley. My father cannot believe the incompetence of the leadership that made that bone head move, nor the fact that no one was held responsible. My father believes that they must have deleted military history from the curriculum at West Point, and he makes the comparison of the Korengal to Khe Sanh and Dien Bien Phu.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I read the book a few years back after hearing Clint on a podcast. Great story and truly incredible what they where up against that day.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post