SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What popular band most missed their potential?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What popular band most missed their potential? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
For me, The Replacements could have been a much bigger band, all of the elements were there; chemistry, songwriting, etc. But due to their negative attitude with the industry, their hatred of conventional marketing & self-promotion, all fueled by self-destructive alcohol consumption, they alienated so many record industry folks that their potential rise in sales and stature was never going to go anywhere. Even though they always made the top 10 critic's lists each year, they barely sold any albums.

+100

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
[snip]Another band that should have made it bigger was XTC.

Agreed. I absorbed every minute of their material. From the In-Your-Face brash seventies, through the huge Todd Rundgren production on Skylarking, & on into mega-giants (IMO) Oranges & Lemons, and Nonsuch. I'll never fathom how they weren't more widely acclaimed.

ditto on XTC,
started listening to them after seeing Urgh, a Music War at a midnight movie in the early 80's,

fantastic band,

stage fright supposedly kept them from touring,

apple venus and wasp star were fantastic as well,

another great that seems to not be well known, and should be is Kate Bush

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of XTC, too, particularly Skylarking.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
The Eagles left a lot on the table. Went years before releasing any new music until they finally released Long Road To Eden.
Until then they released and re released their Greatest Hits about 3 times.
Henley hated the internet downloading services like Napster and refused to put out any new music until the internet free downloading services were put in check.

Then there was the well documented internal fighting between band members. The Henley, Frey and Felder feud.

And of course Frey passed away recently so that is that.
As much music that came out of that band in a few short years there was a lot of unrealized potential for much more.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean, Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi, and Michael Stuart: This ensemble is the classic line-up for the band Love on its third album Forever Changes (1967). The album still ranks high on "best of" lists today.

According to John Einarson's detailed biography of Arthur Lee, the original band imploded in early 1968 because of drugs, mistrust, and conflicts over money. Arthur Lee went on with "Love" as composed of backing musicians. The magic of the original line-up was gone for good.

Lee was a royal jerk. He had felony convictions, did prison time, and alienated everyone who tried to help him. I remember him as a guy still hanging around the Sunset Strip in the 1970s. It was an unfortunate display of talent wasted. Lee was his own man, but this angle was not in a good way.

The band Mazzy Star recorded one of his songs, "Five String Serenade" in the 1990s. This recording probably sold more than everything else Lee wrote or recorded.

As for the album, Forever Changes, it has probably gone gold, but its record label, Elektra, has never submitted it for certification because it has gotten lost in the many ownership changes the label has gone through in the last 40 years.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mazzy Star recorded one of his songs, "Five String Serenade" in the 1990s. This recording probably sold more than everything else Lee wrote or recorded

I've always liked that version, and Mazzy Star in general.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
While I am a Stevie Ray fan, I think he got to say most of what he was going to say. His mainstream career was almost twice that of Hendrix (seven years vs four), and his material was nowhere even approaching the variety of what Hendrix produced. Jimi was all over the map, musically, and listening to his live playing, he approached music in a completely different way than Stevie. Stevie mastered a few handfuls of really cool licks and found pleasing ways to string them together. His playing was juicy and clean, yes. He was more of a guitar guy than Jimi, for whom it was merely a vessel for the song. Listen to five live Stevie songs and you'll hear all the same licks, in each song, just jumbled up in different ways. Listen to some live Hendrix, and listen to an artist playing to the song. The amazing variety in the different live performances of "Machine Gun" would be my best example. The two different recorded live shows at the Filmore, and the live performance of it on a variety show all have the same structure and lyrics, but are wildly different in tone and feel. The Band of Gypsies version still absolutely blows me away every time, and that was more or less right at the end for him.

My old boss explained it to me this way: "Jimi was exciting because nobody knew what he was going to do when he took the stage. Nobody knew because he didn't know what he was going to do, either. It just all happened, and it was rock 'n roll." Stevie went onstage every night knowing every note he was going to play, and so did his audience.

I realize what I'm saying is tantamount to heresy for plenty of guitar players out there, but it's my opinion formed of having to listen to a lot of both at work, all the time.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I am a Stevie Ray fan, I think he got to say most of what he was going to say. His mainstream career was almost twice that of Hendrix (seven years vs four), and his material was nowhere even approaching the variety of what Hendrix produced. Jimi was all over the map, musically, and listening to his live playing, he approached music in a completely different way than Stevie.

Exactly, and I'm a big fan of SRV, too.

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
While I am a Stevie Ray fan, I think he got to say most of what he was going to say. His mainstream career was almost twice that of Hendrix (seven years vs four), and his material was nowhere even approaching the variety of what Hendrix produced. Jimi was all over the map, musically, and listening to his live playing, he approached music in a completely different way than Stevie. Stevie mastered a few handfuls of really cool licks and found pleasing ways to string them together. His playing was juicy and clean, yes. He was more of a guitar guy than Jimi, for whom it was merely a vessel for the song. Listen to five live Stevie songs and you'll hear all the same licks, in each song, just jumbled up in different ways. Listen to some live Hendrix, and listen to an artist playing to the song. The amazing variety in the different live performances of "Machine Gun" would be my best example. The two different recorded live shows at the Filmore, and the live performance of it on a variety show all have the same structure and lyrics, but are wildly different in tone and feel. The Band of Gypsies version still absolutely blows me away every time, and that was more or less right at the end for him.

My old boss explained it to me this way: "Jimi was exciting because nobody knew what he was going to do when he took the stage. Nobody knew because he didn't know what he was going to do, either. It just all happened, and it was rock 'n roll." Stevie went onstage every night knowing every note he was going to play, and so did his audience.

I realize what I'm saying is tantamount to heresy for plenty of guitar players out there, but it's my opinion formed of having to listen to a lot of both at work, all the time.

Spot on assessment of both imo. You can still enjoy listening to SRV more while recognizing the avant garde exploratory genius of Hendrix.

My only caveat to it would be that SRV filtered his style down to the things that worked, for the most part. Jimi flowed so freely that there was some really weird, frankly non-musical stuff that came forth.

As far as this thread, I agree it is more exciting to think about what Jimi would have produced than what Stevie still had to show us. Jimi had all of that R&B influence too... I think he could have given us what Sly Stone and Prince gave us, and then some.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am a Pink Floyd fan but agree that the Syd Barrett material is pretty much trash

David Gilmour brought it all together, and provided a level of writing that made them what they are today

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with:

Holly

SRV

Allman

And add, Chapin and Hank Williams

And, while I like some of Jimi Hendrix stuff, I agree that some of it was pretty far out there and more noise than music IMO.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tango Sierra
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to have seen more from Audioslave.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Rural North Central Illinois | Registered: November 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Rage Against the Machine. They were ripping it then bam, Zach is out.

Hendrix was unfulfilled, left us too early.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many great names have been suggested, and I wouldn't argue against any of them. However, I wish Lowell George (Little Feat) had stayed with us longer...his slide work was amazing, as was his storytelling. RIP

Steve

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
Many great names have been suggested, and I wouldn't argue against any of them. However, I wish Lowell George (Little Feat) had stayed with us longer...his slide work was amazing, as was his storytelling. RIP

Steve

yes! Lowell and LF were probably the best live band I've ever heard (not in person, mind you, on record.) Music just poured out of Lowell.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Spot on assessment of both imo. You can still enjoy listening to SRV more while recognizing the avant garde exploratory genius of Hendrix.

My only caveat to it would be that SRV filtered his style down to the things that worked, for the most part. Jimi flowed so freely that there was some really weird, frankly non-musical stuff that came forth.

As far as this thread, I agree it is more exciting to think about what Jimi would have produced than what Stevie still had to show us. Jimi had all of that R&B influence too... I think he could have given us what Sly Stone and Prince gave us, and then some.

I think both would have wondered over to Jazz or Jazz type stuff on occasion, and I think that would have been a good thing for us

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Agreed, and I think we got a glimpse of that with "Riviera Paradise," which is tied for my top two favorite SRV pieces alongside "Life by the Drop."

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Didn't see him mentioned but Harry Chapin had some stories left to tell I'm sure.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OMC? I dunno, I'm not good at bands

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Buddy Holly.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post