SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Doctor is...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Doctor is... Login/Join 
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted
... a woman. Yeah, everyone saw this PC move coming. Jodie Whitaker is the 13th iteration of the Doctor. I'll giver her a shot, she was good in Attack the Block & Broadchurch. Hopefully she does this role justice.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Change doesn't have to be PC. A female Doctor opens up new lines of storytelling. I think I would have preferred Tilda Swinton, though, for that (assuming she was available and wanted it).

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'll give it a shot, but this last series just wasn't very good. I hope they get back to good storytelling and less preaching.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
My Mrs.' reaction: "It's a WOMAN! The internet is bleeding!'

We watched Broadchurch and found her to be a competent actress, I hope she does well.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
I'll give it a shot, but this last series just wasn't very good. I hope they get back to good storytelling and less preaching.

This!
I stopped watching halfway through this latest season just because I got tired of all the liberal bullshit they were shoveling at us.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I expected this move and will give it a go. I didn't care for her character that much in Broadchurch. I also thought this past season was one of the weaker ones.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Yawn, nothing all that new.

Romana was a Time Lady/Lord and went through a regeneration. Mary Tamm -> Lalla Ward

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:

This!
I stopped watching halfway through this latest season just because I got tired of all the liberal bullshit they were shoveling at us.

I didn't care so much about the liberal stuff, than the fact that the stories just *SUCKED*. They seemingly gave up on story-telling, and tried to go all dark and edgy. I really like Capaldi's Doctor. He's a great actor and a great fit for the role, IMO, but he has absolute garbage to work with plot- and story-wise. Not even David Tennant could make the show good with these crap storylines.

Season 8 was good, except for that insufferable Clara Oswald. There were some truly great episodes (and I've seen all the new episodes), such as Into the Dalek, The Caretaker, Mummy on the Orient Express, and my favorite Christmas episode; Last Christmas. Even though I didn't like Clara, I could tolerate her. I so looked forward to her leaving the show.

THEN, she had to come back for season 9. With the exceptions of the two-part season premier and the Christmas episode, they were all depressing crap. Same thing with this past season. The Doctor was still good, I even liked Bill, the new companion, and there were MAYBE 2 episodes I liked (like the 19th century Brits on Mars). However, what they did to Bill in the finale was inexcusable. Again, Capaldi was excellent, but the plots were depressing and mostly garbage.

This pic I found on the innerwebz sums up my thoughts about Seasons 9-10 aptly:

So, I don't much care if there is a woman Doctor or not. Done well, she can be a great actress in a crap show if they don't pull their heads out of their butts and write good stories. The best actors in the world can't save a show with crappy writing.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
Expanding on my earlier thoughts, I don't care much that they've chosen a woman so much as I believe there were better choices available. Kris Marshall being one IMO. But that said, at least she's not ginger.

Really though I'm just glad that Moffat is gone as show runner now. IMO his captaincy was the worst thing that happened to Doctor Who. Yes he had a few great episodes but even a broken clock is right twice a day. His storytelling was disjointed and at times downright confusing. If it weren't for him I believe Capaldi would've been as great a doctor as Tennant.

New show runner is also creator of Broadchurch, the English version, which I've really liked. Nice clear, concise well thought out direction. And he's worked with Ms Whitaker for three seasons already so hopefully they will be able to put out some good stuff that actually makes sense.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I just read up on Moffat on Wiki, and it was interesting to see that he wrote The Girl in the Fireplace (perhaps the best Who episode ever, IMO). That one was beautiful and full of hope, joy, and (at the end) sadness. It is one of my all-time favorites. He also did Last Christmas and A Christmas Carol, the best and second-best Christmas episodes.

However, DW lost its way in the past two seasons. Giving Clara the boot was a step in the right direction, but they took the show into a very dark and depressing era.

A female Doctor can be good. I LOVE what they did with Missy - she is outstanding. I just hope they brighten up the overall tone of the show (more joy and wonder at the inexpressible glory of the space-time continuum; less death and depression).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
So it's a she... that just means they can get her hooked up with a lady-friend and not only make the PC crowd extra happy, but the 100s of thousands nerds that are tuning in again.

Faptastic. Roll Eyes

Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Doctor Whohah.

so, who's the next Jamie Bond?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Hasn't the Doctor reached the maximum regeneration count?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

There's always a loophole.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:

Missed Matt Smith's final episode, did you? Cool

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I kinda stopped after the 5th Doctor, but have seen some Christmas specials, most of Tennant, that's about it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I think that the next Doctor's new assistant should be a nice Yeshiva boy.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
I kinda stopped after the 5th Doctor, but have seen some Christmas specials, most of Tennant, that's about it.

Ah. Short version: he saved the entire universe and for that the Time Lords granted him a whole new regeneration series. Yeah, loophole big enough to drive a <pick something really really big> through. Tennant was probably the best of the "new" Doctors.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Expert!

I prefer the pacing and creativity of the older ones.

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My favorite always was, and continues to be, Tom Baker (#4). Wink