SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Accountant, revisited:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Accountant, revisited: Login/Join 
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I really liked this movie, I hope there is a sequel.

I figured out the brother pretty early, but I never saw "the voice" coming

Exactly my reaction.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I really liked this movie, I hope there is a sequel.

I figured out the brother pretty early, but I never saw "the voice" coming

The ending DEFINATELY makes me believe there will be a sequel.... I too loved this movie.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the story a little confusing regarding the Robotic Co.? They hired him, for what particular reason? And just decide to take everyone out? Wouldn't have been easier just to take the female Jr. Accountant out in a car accident? But I guess there wouldn't be a movie if that happened.

The best fight scene to me was the 2nd to the last attacker which the Accountant took out with FB grenade, that guy pretty much had him finished, fast and realistic type fighting.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
Wasn't the story a little confusing regarding the Robotic Co.? They hired him, for what particular reason? And just decide to take everyone out? Wouldn't have been easier just to take the female Jr. Accountant out in a car accident? But I guess there wouldn't be a movie if that happened.

That was explained at the ending (sort of)...

***SPOILER***

They were about to do a public offering. The error found by Dana (female junior accountant) could've caused problems. They brought in Chris (The Accountant) so they could say, "Hey, we brought in a consultant to examine our records." Wolff confirmed the missing money. The CFO was forced to commit suicide, making it look like he did it. The alleged money leak was now plugged, making it all look good for potential investors. But they still had loose ends to tie up, which is why they sent the hitmen after Dana and Chris.

At least, that's how I understood it.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
quote:

***SPOILER***

They were about to do a public offering. The error found by Dana (female junior accountant) could've caused problems. They brought in Chris (The Accountant) so they could say, "Hey, we brought in a consultant to examine our records." Wolff confirmed the missing money. The CFO was forced to commit suicide, making it look like he did it. The alleged money leak was now plugged, making it all look good for potential investors. But they still had loose ends to tie up, which is why they sent the hitmen after Dana and Chris.

Right, but why did the Robotic company boss's sister (?) end up with a hole in her forehead? I believe that was her and the CFO interviewing Chris. There was a commencement picture on the wall with the boss and her (?). If that is so, that would mean the CFO, the staff accountant, the sister (?), and the hired accountant all met an untimely death, all around the same time.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

***SPOILER***

Right, but why did the Robotic company boss's sister (?) end up with a hole in her forehead? I believe that was her and the CFO interviewing Chris. There was a commencement picture on the wall with the boss and her (?). If that is so, that would mean the CFO, the staff accountant, the sister (?), and the hired accountant all met an untimely death, all around the same time.

Yeah, the sister's death is the one I still don't get. At least, why a bullet in the head. They made the CFO commit suicide. It looked like they were going to make Dana disappear (they were going to put her in the box). I don't know what they were going to do with Wolff (shoot him, I suppose...?). And it does seem odd to have all these deaths/disappearance around the same time. Other than the CFO's death, it seemed like tying up loose ends wasn't given much thought.

Oh, well. I still enjoyed the movie.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

***SPOILER***

Yeah, the sister's death is the one I still don't get. At least, why a bullet in the head. They made the CFO commit suicide. It looked like they were going to make Dana disappear (they were going to put her in the box). I don't know what they were going to do with Wolff (shoot him, I suppose...?). And it does seem odd to have all these deaths/disappearance around the same time. Other than the CFO's death, it seemed like tying up loose ends wasn't given much thought.

Oh, well. I still enjoyed the movie.

Yep, I did too! I've never seen air stream camper like that, but if I do I'll always give it a 2nd look.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
They were inflating the value of the company by putting money INTO the company ahead of the public offering.

CEO hired Wolff to "leak test" the accounting. They did not expect him to get so close and figure it out so quickly.

Kill CFO by suicide to make it look like he was stealing money, to account for the cooked books. Killed sister (VP?) because she knew too much she could eventually figure out that money was going in, not out. Kill Dana and Wolff to get rid of loose ends.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
They were inflating the value of the company by putting money INTO the company ahead of the public offering.

CEO hired Wolff to "leak test" the accounting. They did not expect him to get so close and figure it out so quickly.

Kill CFO by suicide to make it look like he was stealing money, to account for the cooked books. Killed sister (VP?) because she knew too much she could eventually figure out that money was going in, not out. Kill Dana and Wolff to get rid of loose ends.

I think it is this order:
1. Kill CFO, make it look like he stole the money.
2. Kill Dana and Wolff to get rid of loose ends......when this failed, proceed to step #3
3. Kill sister for either of the following reasons: to keep her from talking and to hid the crime(s) being committed or to make it look like Wolff did it...or a combination of the two reasons. I got the feeling that she suspected something and said something to her brother who had to have her killed.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned it...but the best "hardware" moment had to be the pull down "Mini Gun", I was smiling so much my son had to ask what it was that was so funny!! Just so cool the way it was set up, just pull down and shoot, to bad it wasnt loaded up. And the Treasury guy help set it up as well...the back is well covered but wonder how the guy watches the front (adlib)..someone could just roll right up. LOL

posted Hide Post
******** Spoiler

The girl on the computer at the end was the accountant's sister and "handler" when she called him on the phone.

But at the very end, didn't the lead "counselor" walk outside with that new couple and say that it was his daughter? I thought the Dad of sister and the accountant was killed at the funeral home? Am I missing something?

MDS

Posts: 375 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My thinking was at the beginning of the movie was that it was not his sister, but someone else there with the "counselor" who was advising the Accountants parents at the time, maybe another patient, that's why he looked so surprised when she handed him the missing puzzle piece....but during the movie as they showed the brothers in the martial art scene, and the fighting the bullies scene, she was nowhere to be seen. Until she re-appears and introduced as being the counselor's daughter at the end of the movie.

The other thing that threw me was when the Investigators (Treasury), couldn't ID the accountant, and they mention the mom's funeral and his dad (presumed), but they state they couldn't ID the dad as well?? Guess I have to read the book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rpm2010,

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Caught this movie on a flight to CO last week and really enjoyed it, need to rewatch on a real TV to pick up all the detail in this thread.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harleysbluff:
******** Spoiler

The girl on the computer at the end was the accountant's sister and "handler" when she called him on the phone.

But at the very end, didn't the lead "counselor" walk outside with that new couple and say that it was his daughter? I thought the Dad of sister and the accountant was killed at the funeral home? Am I missing something?

MDS

She is the counselor/doctor's daughter, he started the institute to treat people like his daughter and to encourage their gifts. The accountant and her formed an attachment as kids, evident by her keeping and framing the Ali puzzle the accountant put together as a kid (she giving him the missing piece).

Remember that accountant's mentor saying during the prison scenes to be mobile and have one person he could trust.

quote:
The other thing that threw me was when the Investigators (Treasury), couldn't ID the accountant, and they mention the mom's funeral and his dad (presumed), but they state they couldn't ID the dad as well??

Accountant and his dad were in Intelligence/PsyOps and attached to Special Operations so they were considered classified assets hence the fake names and heavily redacted files.

I suspected she might be his handler but knew for sure at the end when she used her computer to "talk" with the little boy...."Hello dreamboat".

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
The wife and I throughly liked it. Looks like it is set up for sequels. I hope they focus on the plot and not just try to boost the body count at the expense of the story.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Finally watched the movie and agree with everyone here, it was great and so were the action scenes.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Wife & I watched it Saturday, quite enjoyed it.
She caught the girl being his handler, completely slipped by me, even after reading this thread prior to watching.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post