SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Movie: Wind River 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Movie: Wind River 2017 Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks for weighing in guys.

This is what I love about Sigforum. I post my view about something and get thoughtful, insightful replies in return.

Sigforum really is a unique place.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Thanks for weighing in guys.

This is what I love about Sigforum. I post my view about something and get thoughtful, insightful replies in return.

Sigforum really is a unique place.

you asked a good question

i agree with the sentiment that the harsh environment affected the security guys to be basically wacko

just like they wouldn't normally be inclined to gang-rape a buddy's girlfriend...

and once the incident escalated to a full-blown FBI investigation ... it all rapidly went sideways

------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
And I believe the one guy we don't see in the trailer is the angry young native, perhaps implying he was well willing to kill some "white boys".

Watched it again last night. The angry native is one of the tribal cops who accompanied Tribal Police Chief to the drilling camp. He was squared off with the other cops aiming at the contractors when he said that line. Two contractors in the trailer was the instigator and another guy, both had facial injuries from the fight that could not be explained by hitting a branch on snowmobile.

just like they wouldn't normally be inclined to gang-rape a buddy's girlfriend...

I am going to disagree with normally. I think the majority of these contractors were the types who screwed up in the military and were in the "other than honorable" and Big Chicken Dinner aka Bad Conduct Discharges group of prior military. You know the type who can't get an overseas contract but can be posted in back woods of the USA. A pack of dogs is only as brave as its leader. The one guy instigated everything, the fight, the rape, the murders, and cover up. A couple of the contractors were going along with it, while the rest were full on assholes and willing participants. Once they crossed the line, they were all part of it. Remember the scene after shootout where one of them killed one of their own as they were administrating the coup de grace to the cops.

Jon Bernthal's character seemed to be the one guy in the group who liked the isolation and outdoors, in a way very similar to Jeremy Renner's character.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
^ You're right, he's got the patch on his arm.

It's like a puzzle to me now that I keep trying to solve. Smile

If the guy on the right is the guys with the shotgun... tough to tell, but if it's not they just screwed up contimuity wise.

Then the guy in the trailer with the rifle is the unaccounted for man.
Which works, assuming for the sake of argument that he knows nothing, he just saw all his buddies get shot so he starts shooting too.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Elizabeth Olsen sure is nice to look at but man, her acting is atrocious. It’s a joke to pair her with Renner who can actually act.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smile

Posts: 462 | Location: NW Indiana  | Registered: January 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
Elizabeth Olsen sure is nice to look at but man, her acting is atrocious. It’s a joke to pair her with Renner who can actually act.

I don't know. I saw here as a new agent, completely out of her depth. She was in a world that she had no exp with, never been trained for, with men who had given up. She took what help and advice she could.

I watched it, I found it very engaging and a pretty good film.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I really like this movie, one of my favorite movies in the last 5-10 years.

Just picked up the DVD.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve worked in the oil bidness my whole career since the military - 30 years. Never once have I seen a security detail on a remote site in the U.S. that looked anything like this movie, much less one with that many guards. If there is a guard, its usually a rent a cop. It’d be hard to steal anything without a fleet of trucks and a few cranes.

I have seen some security details in places like Ecuador and West Africa carrying MP5s and using 3 car teams to move expats around, but these guys were mainly Europeans. When we were working in Ecuador 15 years ago, we had pretty good security due to the KNR threat in the area.

I know they hire teams for the rigs being towed past Somalia. Water cannons and rifles

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to watching it. I thought it was great. Having grown-up around reservations and now living in Wyoming, I can relate to the desolation.

That ending was intense.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
Watched this a couple of months ago and loved it. Definitely had some intense parts throughout the movie.

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1045 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
SPOILER AHEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is something to think on:

I am going on two different scenes that possibly tie this together. Later scene first: is when he tells FBI Agent about the murder of his daughter, how it happened and how/where her body was found. He never says anything on if they caught the guys who killed his daughter or if it is an open case.

Now go back to the scene where they made death notification to the family, and Renner is talking to the father on the porch. Father asks Renner if he is just babsitting/driving FBI agent around, Renner says "that is what they say I am doing". Father asks him what are you really doing, Renner replies, "I'm a hunter, it is what I do." The father also gives him a look like he (Renner) has done this before when he asks Renner to kill the ones responsible.

I think Renner tracked down the killers of his daughter and they were never heard of again, disappeared into the mountains, food for wolves and other critters. If Renner's characater was doing it for his daughter's friend, what would he had done to avenge his own daughter?

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
The other way to look at it is that he was getting revenge on these assholes for what some other assholes did to his kid because he couldn’t catch them.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If on Netflix I may have to check it out. I remember seeing a preview way back, looked interesting.

Posts: 6130 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Watched it over the weekend, and thought it was pretty good. The tribal police chief was the same guy who played Malachi Strand in Longmire. The only thing that kind of bugged me was one or two of the scenes with the dead girl's father. Maybe it's because I've been binge-watching Longmire lately, but I'm getting a little tired of the "look at all the terrible things the white man has done to the once-noble Indian" crap.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The other way to look at it is that he was getting revenge on these assholes for what some other assholes did to his kid because he couldn’t catch them.

I agree. His daughter's death was a cold trail from the start, he never had a chance to catch anyone. So he's making damn sure someone pays for his friends daughter's death. And seeking redemption at the same time.
One thing though. Can anyone explain why there is a snowmobile track from the Littlefeather's trailer all the way up the mountain to where Bernthal's body was found, past the cougar's den, and then to the mining camp? With no return? Renner pointed that out, but I'm too stupid to figure out why. Seems there would be tracks to the dump site and maybe looking for Natalie, but why the one way trip?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
The rifle is a Marlin SBL that has had its barrel threaded and a muzzle brake put on it. Glass? I’m thinking Leupold as it lookes like one I have.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

I agree. His daughter's death was a cold trail from the start, he never had a chance to catch anyone. So he's making damn sure someone pays for his friends daughter's death. And seeking redemption at the same time.
One thing though. Can anyone explain why there is a snowmobile track from the Littlefeather's trailer all the way up the mountain to where Bernthal's body was found, past the cougar's den, and then to the mining camp? With no return? Renner pointed that out, but I'm too stupid to figure out why. Seems there would be tracks to the dump site and maybe looking for Natalie, but why the one way trip?

It's one of those things that got left on the editing room floor.

If you remember, the victim's brother made the comment to Renner's character that he had met his sister's boyfriend and that he wanted to fight him, but his sister wouldn't allow it. My assumption would be that the brother met the boyfriend when he (bf) was in town for recreation, most likely with some of the other contractors. It would make sense that one or more of the contractors witnessed the brother trying to fight the boyfriend and figured he'd make a pretty good patsy. So they drove out to the brother's place, then dumped the body from there so it would look like the brother had beat him and then dragged him into the hills. They probably assumed that no one could follow the trail all the way back to them, or that the snow would have covered it by the time the body was found.

That's my take on it.

I also noticed in the cast listings that there are teachers and students listed, but they never actually show them being interviewed in the film. Lots of little details end up getting cut in final edits.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kravashera, that works for me.
Well, it was Sheridan's first foray at directing. Not a major loose end, but it kept nagging at me.

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool

Posts: 474 | Location: Minnesota  | Registered: June 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post