SIGforum
Movie: Wind River 2017

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8450077724

July 24, 2017, 10:41 PM
tanner
Movie: Wind River 2017
Just saw a pre screening for this movie. It was pretty good! General release for August 4. Bonus points to anyone who can ID the rifle and glass.

July 24, 2017, 11:26 PM
TMats
Certainly looking forward to it here in Wyoming. I used to supply trees to a Shoshone medicine man for the annual sun dance when I was District Ranger on the BTNF.

July 24, 2017, 11:52 PM
Sailor1911
That looks like a good one. Wind River Canyon is one of the most beautiful places on earth, IMHO.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016
July 25, 2017, 07:38 AM
Gustofer
Looks good.

The rifle is a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. The off center front sight gives it away. As Bear Claw Chris Lapp said, "Saw it right off."

Don't know about the glass.

July 25, 2017, 03:27 PM
tanner
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer: The rifle is a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun.

Thanks man!

July 25, 2017, 04:40 PM
Augen
Looks good, even if it's Thuderheart 2.0

There is some other movie that has a similar premise. I just can't remember which one.

But I'll still looking forward to this movie.
July 25, 2017, 10:01 PM
CQB60
I like the screewriter whose credits include Hell or highwater & Sicario. Taylor Sheridan, figured he’d be a lawman. His family was full of them, the most famous being former deputy U.S. marshal Parnell McNamara, who worked out of Waco very succesfully I might add & not far from the Sheridan family’s Bosque County property, and young Taylor saw him as a role model. It's translated into his screen adaptations and this should be a great movie Wink

July 26, 2017, 05:35 AM
Chuck Perry
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:

There is some other movie that has a similar premise. I just can't remember which one.

But I'll still looking forward to this movie.

The trailer immediately reminded me of "Shoot to Kill" with Poitier and Berenger.
August 27, 2017, 07:19 PM
TMats
Saw this today. Somber, violent, depressing (at times), ultimately though, hopeful in the end. I liked it--a lot.

Renner and Graham Greene were outstanding, as was Gil Birmingham who played the father of the dead girl.

August 28, 2017, 02:25 PM
YooperSigs
I like Renner. I am in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
August 29, 2017, 04:06 AM
whododat
The wife and I really enjoyed this movie. Renner did an excellent job.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.
August 29, 2017, 11:14 PM
YooperSigs
I saw it tonight. Renner and Greene were excellent.
45-70!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
August 30, 2017, 09:42 AM
Gustofer
Really looking forward to it but it won't be at our little theater. Will need to wait a few months for AppleTV.

August 30, 2017, 10:37 AM
corsair
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:

That was the response from some native friends.

Good to see Graham Greene, always enjoyed his roles, wished he was in more movies given his distinctive voice and presence.
August 30, 2017, 07:15 PM
Orive 8
Preview does look good, might have to check it out this Sunday - matinée price you know. Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.
September 02, 2017, 08:29 PM
imadat
There's a scene in the movie where Renner's character is walking in the woods with his arms at 90 degrees and the rifle resting in/on his forearms.

It seems that this is not the optimal way to walk through woods when you don't know what you may run into.
Do hunters walk through the woods like Renner's charactr did? If not, what is the ideal way to walk through the woods?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Jake
September 03, 2017, 11:14 AM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:
There's a scene in the movie where Renner's character is walking in the woods with his arms at 90 degrees and the rifle resting in/on his forearms.

It seems that this is not the optimal way to walk through woods when you don't know what you may run into.
Do hunters walk through the woods like Renner's charactr did? If not, what is the ideal way to walk through the woods?

Jake

I don't remember that particular scene or the circumstances, i.e. whether or not he was in imminent danger. Otherwise, cradled in your arms is the least tiring way to carry a rifle in the woods, that allows one to bring the rifle up with little motion that attracts the eye of game.

September 03, 2017, 11:24 AM
tenmm
Looks like an 1895 SBL, not the Guide Gun.

September 03, 2017, 12:41 PM
Gustofer
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by imadat:

Jake

I don't remember that particular scene or the circumstances, i.e. whether or not he was in imminent danger. Otherwise, cradled in your arms is the least tiring way to carry a rifle in the woods, that allows one to bring the rifle up with little motion that attracts the eye of game.

Haven't seen it yet, but from the description, you are correct. Lugging a heavy rifle around all day is more tiring than one might imagine, and that method makes it quite easy.

September 03, 2017, 12:54 PM
bendable
sounds like it has some semblance of a story and some scenery
will go see it on Wednesday

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first