SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RollingStone Readers' Poll: The 10 Worst Songs of the 1980s
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RollingStone Readers' Poll: The 10 Worst Songs of the 1980s Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
From 1983: Worst song ever... worst video ever...

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zXt56MB-3vc

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
For the most part, this list is the music I listened to back in high school. The 80's were either awesome as hell or they sucked. No, they weren't classic rock tunes, but they were catchy and for the most part enjoyable. At least to me.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
For me the most insipid 80's song was Van Halen's Jump. It was just a big steaming turn of a tune.

Here are those thougt provoking, masterful lyrics:

I get up, and nothin' gets me down
You got it tough, I've seen the toughest around
And I know, baby, just how you feel
You got to roll with the punches and get to what's real
Ah, can't you see me standin' here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump
(Jump)
Might as well jump
Go ahead an' jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Ow oh, hey you
Who said that?
Baby, how you been?
You say you don't know
You won't know until you begin
So can't ya see me standing here
I got my back against the record machine
I ain't the worst that you've seen
Ah, can't you see what I mean?
Ah, might as well jump
(Jump)
Go ahead and jump
Might as well jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Jump
Might as well jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Get it in, jump (jump)
Go ahead and jump
Jump
Jump
Jump
Jump

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But I love 5. Men Without Hats - 'The Safety Dance'

Posts: 362 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
What... no Stryper?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Adding Was (Not Was) for that "Dinosaur" song.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
What... no Stryper?

What was wrong with Stryper? Confused

They were actually a pretty talented band. Michael Sweet was a damn good vocalist, and their song writing talent was better than most.

Full Disclosure: I had to go listen to a couple songs on YouTube, as it's been 30 years since I've heard them.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy:
But I love 5. Men Without Hats - 'The Safety Dance'

It is the ringtone on my phone. Smile

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
From 1983: Worst song ever... worst video ever...

between this and come on Eileen,,,

got to be the 2 worst,

but then again, UB40's entire output is horrible
pop reggae,, yuk

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/zXt56MB-3vc

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like a few of those myself.

It is like the "greatest" guitar players, it is partially in the eyes of the beholder.

I like what I like and do not let others influence what I like to listen to.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry, 5, 6, and 9 are excellent, especially on the dance floor, especially extended mixes. Too much analog synth hate for me in this thread. Out....

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
My personal worst of the '80's:

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
What?? I loved the song "Mickey." Well actually I think the video had a lot to do with it. If I had never seen the video I would have probably thought it was jut okay.

Posts: 6606 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
What... no Stryper?

What was wrong with Stryper? Confused

They were actually a pretty talented band. Michael Sweet was a damn good vocalist, and their song writing talent was better than most.

Full Disclosure: I had to go listen to a couple songs on YouTube, as it's been 30 years since I've heard them.
I saw them two years ago for the second time since 1986. They are still putting out great music and they still rock!!

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Spandau Ballet - True
Thompson Twins - Hold On
The Bangles - Walk Like An Egyptian
Rupert Holmes - Escape

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Rupert Holmes - Escape

Don't be hatin' on the Pina Colada song! Also, it's actually from the 70's.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
This is a terrible list, and I suspect that since it's a readers' poll, many of the voters were people who weren't alive or old enough to remember many songs of the 80s. They're basing their votes on 80s songs that still get played on Spotify and such.

Some songs such as 'Come on Eileen' and 'Safety Dance' I hate, but I also understand their appeal and why they endure. Other songs like the #1 and #9 below have no redeeming qualities and deserve to be on the list.

quote:
Originally posted by jstex56:
9. Taco - 'Puttin' On The Ritz'
1. Starship - 'We Built This City'

Off the top of my head, some songs that deserve much more to be on the Worst list are:

'Ebony and Ivory' - Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder
'Dancing in the Street' - covered by David Bowie & Mick Jagger.
'We Are the World'
'Hangin' Tough' - NKOTB
'Party All the Time ' - Eddie Murphy
'Heartbeat' - Don Johnson
'Glory of Love' - Peter Cetera
anything by Milli Vanilli

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could have done without the B52s. Maybe they just played these songs too much.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post