SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hunting Hitler, anyone watch it???
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hunting Hitler, anyone watch it??? Login/Join 
Picture of dgwiggans
posted Hide Post
Not to argue the point any further but just to recap historical record from Hans Bauer (longtime personal pilot to AH).

Wiki - "During the last days of the war, Hans Baur was with Hitler in the Führerbunker. Baur had devised a plan to allow Hitler to escape from the Battle of Berlin; a Fieseler Fi 156 Storch was held on standby which could take off from an improvised airstrip in the Tiergarten, near the Brandenburg Gate. However, Hitler refused to leave Berlin. On 26 April 1945, the improvised landing strip was used by Hanna Reitsch to fly in Colonel-General Robert Ritter von Greim, appointed by Hitler as head of the Luftwaffe after Hermann Göring's dismissal. During the evening of 28 April, Reitsch flew von Greim out on the same road-strip and Hitler suggested to Baur that he evacuate himself and Martin Bormann the same way.

Baur stayed with him until Hitler committed suicide on the afternoon of 30 April.[8] After Hitler's suicide, Baur found the improvised road-strip too pot-holed for use and overrun by the Soviet 3rd Shock Army. A plan was devised to escape out from Berlin to the Allies on the western side of the Elbe or to the German Army to the North. SS-Brigadeführer Wilhelm Mohnke split up the Reich Chancellery and Führerbunker soldiers and personnel into ten main groups.[9] Baur and Bormann left the Reich Chancellery as part of one of the groups. During his escape, after losing touch with Bormann,[3] Baur was shot in the legs, and the wound was so serious that his right lower leg was later amputated in Posen on 10 June 1945.[10]

Captured by the Soviet forces in a hospital, Baur was of great interest to his captors, who believed he might have flown Hitler to safety before the fall of Berlin. They also believed he had information concerning stolen art, specifically about the plundering of the Amber Room (Bernsteinzimmer) in Leningrad. He was imprisoned for ten years in the USSR before being released on 10 October 1955 to the French, by whom he was kept prisoner until 1957.[11]"

My opinion is AH committed suicide. He was not physically or mentally the same person by the time of the wars end & choose not to be captured, rather than attempt the numerous escape options that were available. If he hadn't already planned on suicide, flying the Storch out with Hanna Reitsch, would have been the easiest & fastest escape out of Berlin, if he had so desired. Just MO, though.

-----------------------

------------------

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Everyone knows Custer died at Little Big Horn. What this book presupposes is...... maybe he didn't?
Even if officers of the 7th Cavalry had not viewed Custer's naked corpse, this would still be nothing more than fantasy. If people want to watch programs that are simply make-believe, it's their time to waste.

There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it. ― George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 80177 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OregonXD:
I'm with parabellum...Hitler killed himself.

It's been long known that the Russians recovered his remains.
http://mentalfloss.com/article...appened-hitlers-body

I am late to this, but it is a load of crap. I've watched one or 2 episodes and they are reeeeaaallllyyy stretching.

Also as far as him dead or not, I read the book Soldat. I find it highly doubtful. This soldier was in the fuhrer bunker the day before. Here's his account on Martin Borman who the history channel is still lookin for...

If you read the book you'll realize how chaotic the end days were for them. Hitlers dead. If my memory serves me right Knappe walked passed the dead bodies of other dead generals who killed themselves and family.

quote:
WWII: You mention in your book that you ate in the bunker when everyone was eating their last meal, before they were going to try to break out, and that you sat at the same table as Martin Bormann, Hitler’s personal secretary. There have been stories for years that Bormann survived the war and has been seen. What do you think happened to him?

Knappe: He is dead. He was fat and untrained. If you are in a battle situation you have to be trained. You need to know what to do when someone is shooting at you. He would not have known what to do when the shooting started. I am sure that he was shot somewhere in the city. There have been several reports from people in that group that he was shot after crossing a bridge. But of course no one in the group checked on him. Everyone was just interested in themselves, and besides, no one had any love for him anyway.

http://www.historynet.com/inte...siegfried-knappe.htm

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 7592 | Registered: September 13, 2012Report This Post
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Everyone knows Custer died at Little Big Horn. What this book presupposes is...... maybe he didn't?
Even if officers of the 7th Cavalry had not viewed Custer's naked corpse, this would still be nothing more than fantasy. If people want to watch programs that are simply make-believe, it's their time to waste.

It's a quote from The Royal Tenenbaums.

"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."

Posts: 8049 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I rank it alongside a woman I know who uses "squatching" as a verb to describe her hobby.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have been watching it and I enjoy it.

But then I like sci-fi Smile

Protect Your Nuts
Picture of Whisp
posted Hide Post
Wait, I thought he ended up in England?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2555 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Report This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I think it is more "Hunting Nazis". However, that concept would be harder to sell than "Hunting Hitler." I have not heard any information on any Hitler sightings, etc. We all know that Eichman and Mengele got to South America as well as other Nazis. I have learned quite a bit from the show, but I agree with Para, I don't think Hitler survived Berlin.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I think it is more "Hunting Nazis". However, that concept would be harder to sell than "Hunting Hitler." I have not heard any information on any Hitler sightings, etc. We all know that Eichman and Mengele got to South America as well as other Nazis. I have learned quite a bit from the show, but I agree with Para, I don't think Hitler survived Berlin.

ALSO, when they're interviewing someone from back in the day about high ranking Nazi's.....this that, they NEVER ask if Hitler was one of them or bring up his name in these interviews.

posted Hide Post
I can't imagine that if Hitler had made it out of Berlin alive, that he then , could have spent the rest of his life in obscurity ??? Not a chance ...he was too much of an egomaniac to stay quiet.
I think he died in Berlin....too bad it wasn't sooner.

Posts: 693 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This program, like the ones about hunting ghosts, unexplained NASA events and Bigfoot all fall into a category I term "Propositional History" - suggesting an alternative to be considered.

Anyone remember the hype Geraldo Rivera generated over the opening of Al Capone's secret vault in the Lexington Hotel WAY BACK in 1986?
One thing people love is a mystery - the 'what if?'. That's a reason people keep watching. The answer doesn't matter, just the pursuit. Besides, there isn't a lot of other interesting stuff on TV.

Posts: 47 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
jimmy123x - The Mossad already found all the Nazi's!

Posts: 47 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 24, 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flwing:
jimmy123x - The Mossad already found all the Nazi's!

Well Hitler is still alive..... Don't you see all the youtube video's that he makes that everyone on here posts????? hehehheehehee

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching if for no other reason that I spent some time nearby Bariloche some 15 years ago. That part of the world is incredibly beautiful and everybody should visit at some point in their lives.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Leesburg VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not watched the show but I have read about 4-5 scholarly books on the fall of Berlin.

Based on multiple accounts, AH most definitely killed himself by long-standing plan. He first took cyanide and then immediately shot himself in the head. Body burned pretty thoroughly. The Russian, Stalin in particular, were systematic about finding the remains and kept them into the 50s, I believe, before completely destroying them.

Posts: 2363 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
As a side note, Ghost Hunters went to Argentina several years ago. The location they were at was interesting. But they billed it as Hitler's hideout. And all the ghosts spoke English. Roll Eyes Try harder to fake your data please.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 24305 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
After WWII there were rumors about Hitler escaping to S.America and some other Countries even into the 60's, and all unproven bunk.
Borman also had rumors about him still alive. He was killed the next day trying to Escape Berlin and remains of him were found and proven in the 90's.
Just a waist of time show like finding BigFoot and Alians.

Posts: 3535 | Registered: November 30, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else old enough to remember a publication called The Police Gazette ? It was one of the first tabloid newspapers and for some reason was a fixture of barbershops of the late forties and early fifties . The front page was always " Hitler is Alive" with some story inside about a South American hideout. Nothing new under the sun.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched it and will not. The premise is preposterous.

I cannot even attempt to believe that Hitler didn't die in Berlin in '45.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 44454 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Hunting Hitler, anyone watch it???

15 minutes of commercials
35 minutes of conjecture and dead-ends
5 minutes of recapping what was said between commercial breaks
5 minutes of content

No thanks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 21798 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Report This Post