SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Witcher On Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Witcher On Netflix Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobC2:
I am only two episodes in, but from what I have seen of the cast photos, I wish Triss looked like Triss.

True but Triss is really a minor character in this season......of course we do see A LOT of Yennifer. Wink

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
I am only two episodes in, but from what I have seen of the cast photos, I wish Triss looked like Triss.

True but Triss is really a minor character in this season......of course we do see A LOT of Yennifer. Wink

Yennifer is my favorite

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to read that this is Polish author's work, and the book series is quite popular in Central and Eastern Europe.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Interesting to read that this is Polish author's work, and the book series is quite popular in Central and Eastern Europe.

Yep. They were very popular in Poland for over a decade in the mid/late 1990s and early/mid 2000s, before the series became popularized in the rest of the world due to the release of the first Witcher video game in 2007, which was a huge worldwide hit. English translations of the books followed, and the series has garnered a massive following in the US in the subsequent decade, culminating in this Netflix series.

It's considered one of Poland's biggest (perhaps the biggest) international pop culture exports. In fact, the Polish Prime Minister was so proud of it that he gifted a copies of the books and games to Obama during a presidential visit to Poland back in 2011.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We are quite lost after episode 1.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
The timeline jumps around a good bit for most of the season, especially the early episodes. You've got the Yennifer back story that takes place a couple decades before the Geralt in Blovikin storyline, which takes place a couple decades or so before Ciri at the fall of Cintra. By the end of the season it is pretty much all meshed up. They don't do a great job of making what is happening when clear for people with no preexisting knowledge of the source material.

I didn't like Yennifer at first, but the actress is growing on me. She just doesn't fit the image in my head. How dare they not consult me on casting...

I DO NOT like the actress playing Ciri. She's just off. Hopefully there is enough of a time jump between Season One and Two that they can justify recasting her.

Triss...well...I'm just going to tell myself that Triss is using some magical glamor as a disguise, because that wasn't her. Not even close.

Overall I'll give the season a B. Cavill is spot on and I think there is enough interest to justify Netflix dropping a bit more coin into Season 2, especially for better CGI and creature effects.

Now I just have to spend the next few months trying to get "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher" out of my head.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Three different time lines:

Ciri the Princess is the present

Geralt's is the past (the end fight is where he got the Butcher of Blaviken moniker).

Yennifer's is in the past.

As the episodes keep going you catch eventually up to the present (also seeing what occurred before), hence the the first episode is the titled "The End's Beginning". Episode 7 merges all the time lines into the present (or close to it) and sets up episode 8.

Destiny is the theme and Destiny will not be denied.

I was also a bit confused until episode 4 and did some reviewing of the books and games.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:

Three different time lines:

Ciri the Princess is the present

Geralt's is the past (the end fight is where he got the Butcher of Blaviken moniker).

Yennifer's is in the past.

As the episodes keep going you catch eventually up to the present (also seeing what occurred before), hence the the first episode is the titled "The End's Beginning". Episode 7 merges all the time lines into the present (or close to it) and sets up episode 8.

Destiny is the theme and Destiny will not be denied.

I was also a bit confused until episode 4 and did some reviewing of the books and games.

Who was the girl he was kissing one minute and killing he next? What was that all about?

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
That was Renfry. She may or may not have been cursed. Either way, she was planning to kill everyone in town until the mage came out of his tower so she could kill him (either because she was evil or because she had been persecuted by him her entire life). Her motivations are deliberately left vague. It's the moment that Geralt realizes that not making a choice between evils is still making a choice. After that he talks a big game about being neutral, but he clearly isn't, often to his misfortune.

It's a major plot string in the book that gets pretty condensed for the show.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I thought The Witcher (show) was good enough to watch. But I didn't like any of the characters. Kind of makes any consequences uninteresting, as I don't care what happens to any of them.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed it. I am now looking forward to the next season.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never knew there were books or video games and I never cared to watch it but wound up watching it because nothing else was on. I have to admit I am hooked. Cavill does a good job in it and I like the way they are developing the characters.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
quote:
quote:

Yennifer is my favorite

She certainly transformed

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
im still watching and Yennifer is worth watching for nudity alone lol

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Finished the season a few days ago. I avoided this thread after the first few posts to avoid spoilers until I caught up, which was unfortunate in a way due to the timeline issues discussed above. I finally figured it out but there was some head scratching up to that point. I’ve never read the books or played the games, so the specifics were all new to me, though the fantasy setting wasn’t.

Overall, I enjoyed it (except the very end, which seemed rushed and sort of silly—I probably missed something), and am now looking forward to season 2 in 2021 (supposedly).

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

Knew almost nothing of the Books or Games prior.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Finished it last night. I had a passing familiarity with the world based on playing a video game or two years ago.

I liked the series but it took way too long for the story to come together into a coherent whole. I imagine for people coming in cold it would be way too confusing.

Now that the storylines are in the same timeline season 2 should flow much more smoothly.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just starting Season 2. It was nice seeing the recap in a sensible order.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Season 2 was better than 1 in my opinion. The subtle shifting back and forth through time was a PIA in season 1.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's not timeline shenanigans in Season 2. It's totally linear. They actually listened to all the complaints about that from Season 1.

(There's even some inside jokes made about it in one of the episodes.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post