SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Witcher On Netflix
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Witcher On Netflix Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
The Witcher is now on Netflix:

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And it's good.

Granted, I'm only one episode in, but I'm impressed so far. They've done an excellent job of capturing the feel of the setting.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well he definitely LOOKS like Geralt

can't get over the one sword concept though

definitely should have two

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

He does have two. But so far, it appears that he mostly just carries one at a time.

It seems he wears a smaller single scabbard on his back, and has a larger double sheath/pouch that he can carry by hand or sling on Roach.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sig209:

He does have two. But so far, it appears that he mostly just carries one at a time.

It seems he wears a smaller single scabbard on his back, and has a larger double sheath/pouch that he can carry by hand or sling on Roach.[/QUOTE

alright now we're talking

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Really liked episode 1

Regarding the two swords

He also tells the girl silver is for monsters when they fight at the end when she tells him he needs his silver

My wife has to work in the morning so we are regretably stopping at one episode tonightFrown

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You get to see his silver sword right off the bat in the opening fight in Episode 1 with the swamp creature. His silver sword has a white grip and a different blade shape that widens out about a foot from the crossguard.

His steel sword (which is what he carries around on his back most of the time) has a black grip and a fancy carved ring at the base of the blade.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The SJW's hate it so I'm confident I will like it.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
We watched the first two episodes last night. Good so far.

It really vibes with the books and the games. The soundtrack really makes you think you're playing the game. Cavill's swordplay is spot-on Geralt. The opening scene of the series was a perfect capsule summary of who Geralt is.

Dandelion's line in ep. 2 about him delivering exposition was hilariously "meta".

My biggest gripe so far is that we actually had to turn on subtitles to pick out a lot of dialogue or see characters' names in print. We've read several of the books and played most of the games in our house, and only a few of the major obvious characters were clear without subtitling.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
meh..I never read the book or played the game. But it seems kinda weak writing. I watched the first two episodes. Will probably watch a few more. I tend to keep watching in the hope that it gets better! lol

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm almost done with the season, and these are the only negatives so far:

1) The timeline can sometimes be a little unclear. It jumps around a bit between three separate time frames, and it can sometimes be tough to judge what is happening when. Luckily, as the season goes on, the timelines start to make more sense.

2) They will commonly drop names of people and places with little to no explanation. Those are likely just meant as nods to the hardcore fans, and understand that they can't spend the entire show explaining everything, but if you've never read the books or played the games you may be left scratching your head at a few of the references.

3) The CGI can be kinda cheesy. The good news is that it's used sparingly. But there's a certain episode in particular with a certain fantasy beast that just ended up looking goofy, rather than impressive.

On the plus side, the setting, music, fight scenes, and characters (mostly) are spot-on. Triss is downplayed significantly, being relegated to a minor supporting character, but Yennifer, Dandelion, and especially Geralt are played like they should be. Henry Cavill is reportedly a massive Witcher fan, having read all the books and played all the games, which likely helped with that.

Some people are already bitching because Ciri is a scared little girl, and not the highly skilled womanly warrior they knew from the 3rd game. But they need to realize that this series is based on the books, not specifically the games, and it's set before Ciri is trained by Geralt at Kaer Morhen.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

i agree that is almost always a good sign

--------------------------------------

Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The Mandalorian, Jack Ryan, a couple other movies and series to stream... I am getting way behind in my viewing. This one looks good, cant wait to dive in

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

1) The timeline can sometimes be a little unclear. It jumps around a bit between three separate time frames, and it can sometimes be tough to judge what is happening when.

Holy shit.....okay, that suddenly makes things clear. I'm on Episode 4 and was thinking I was losing my mind.

So Yennefer's story is going on BEFORE Geralt's involvement with the king with the sister issues. And Geralt's running around with the bard (specifically at the ball) happens before the sacking of that city in Ep. 1, the birth of Ciri, etc. And Ciri running around is "current" time. Is that about right?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Pretty much so.

Geralt earned the "Butcher of Blaviken" moniker before he met Yen and Dandelion and formed a relationship with both. The Renfri storyline gives him a prophecy about Ciri, who comes much later. Geralt had already interacted with the wizard Stregobor before Ep. 1, however, and I didn't get the sense in the show that this was the case.

Geralt's interaction with King Foltest in Ep. 3 is the first in a long history between those two, which culminates in the beginning of the Witcher 2 video game timeline.

The Ciri-as-a-girl timeline is more or less "present day" in the books and a decade or two in the past by the timeline of the Witcher 3 video game.

The novels are horrible about jumping between timelines, too, with no indication that that's the case.

The games can be difficult because they post-date the books, but are constantly referring to events in them.

For reference, in the Witcher world, Yen is born in 1173. Ciri is born in 1252. Geralt's birth year is unknown.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

I'm in! Switching channels now...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like it. It is well done.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like it so far. The timelines are killing me though.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
meh..I never read the book or played the game. But it seems kinda weak writing. I watched the first two episodes. Will probably watch a few more. I tend to keep watching in the hope that it gets better! lol

I'm with you. I'm currently watching Episode 8, so I'm well in by now. I'm often thinking this is a Game of Thrones clone. It's also taken a while for me to get used to the clean-cut Clark Kent/Superman/Man From U.N.C.L.E Henry Cavill playing this monotoned mutant monster-slayer.

The photography and FX are great! The soundtrack is spot on. But I think the plot lines are a bit thin and predictable. Well, since I was staying home, recuperating from a cold, and wrapping packages, it was far more preferable than execrable NFL football!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I am only two episodes in, but from what I have seen of the cast photos, I wish Triss looked like Triss.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post