SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Record sales through the years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record sales through the years Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted
Pretty interesting.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to see Michael Jackson bested twice in the '80s, though they were only for a quarter or two. I had expected to see certain artists earlier than when they showed on the chart, like Eminem and Bieber. I was really surprised that some didn't show at all, like N'Sync. Many of the ones in the 2010s who rose and fell quickly could be attributed to one hit wonders, like Psy. BTS with their staying power was interesting.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Some of the staying power surprised me. I couldn't name a single Drake song. Not one. I knew Eminem sold some records, but didn't realize he was that big.

Not a single rock band in the last 10 years? Frown

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
It would be fun to watch this with a group and discuss the sudden appearance of a band. For example, Metallica showed up in 90' with The Black Album.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
Shocked to see how long Elton John hung in there.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I never heard of Drake - I must be getting old.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’d be curious to know how many of these current groups will still be around in 20-30 years like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Motley Crüe, etc.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Only 1969 - 2019 and then just records sales.

Given my age, I always liked to peruse the Top 100 charts, especially those from the '50s, '60s, and '70s. They give me both a better feel for what was popular back then but also where those I heard and loved stacked up. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16213 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

I'm not a fan of RAP, but if I had to listen to some, Drake doesn't offend. Sings more so than hard RAP and little or no profanity.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Interesting for sure.
It showed me that pop music went from fanstatic to great to mediocre THEN got shitty around 95-96 and then just got shittier and shittier and ever mo-shittier. Frown

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

The only Drake I heard of was Nick Drake but he died in 74 (even have a LP). Eek

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm not surprised that at the end there were people I never heard of. In fact I'm quite happy about it. lol

I think the one that surprised me the most was how long Queen was up there in total.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Drake creeps on underage girls (look it up) and makes shitty Canadian pop rap.

No real Hip Hop fan likes crap like that, imo. It's the Bud Light of rap, sold out generic pop trash.

But he's popular and successful just the same.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post