New
Find
Notify
Tools

Die Antwoord Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I totally missed the bus on this one, allegedly they're done making music as Die Antwoord.. maybe?

In any case, I enjoy the hybrid sound.

If you don't like rap, electronic music, or South African slang, don't bother.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw them at the House of Blues in Boston 2-3 years ago. Very interesting set. It was all ages as well, which made no sense. I Like their music and their videos are always unique.

Posts: 1662 | Location: NH | Registered: January 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are .... unique

learned a little about them after watching Chappie

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
If I were in college I might be closer to things actually new and different, but I'd rate this duo pretty high on the originality scale, compared with any other wide release offering.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:

I fink you freeky.

Yeah, they are original. And their video for "Fatty Boom Boom" is pretty high on the list of 'unique' music videos.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Thanks for the warning!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They were in that robot movie.

She's quite the little hottie.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34107 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Well, that was interesting.
Watched the Fatty Boom Boom video, odd but not what I'd consider rap.

Catchy, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15285 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

that's where I first was exposed to them

they are... unique

a little weird for my taste but variety keeps us on our toes.

-------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fatty Boom Boom video

Hey, to each their own.
I went to a UH football game a couple of years ago and went to the local on campus bar/restaurant afterward.
They were playing something similar.
Couldn't really get into it, kind of annoying actually.
Just going to put Lynyrd Skynyrd back on.
Smile

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my buddies sent me a link to the Fatty Boom Boom video when it first came out as sort of a joke 'Holy crap man look at this freaky stuff'. I watched it and really didn't know what to think of it... I came back to it about a week later and then again and again - it got in my head. Then I started watching their other videos and pretty soon I was listening to them all the time. All of their albums are great - their latest does take a little more time to get into, but 'Banana Brain' is a good tune. Completely out of my normal music wheel house (harder rock in general, Volbeat, FFDP, etc)

This is probably my favorite video by them for some reason... I can't say exactly why.

I fink you freaky

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
I think they did "I Fink You Freaky" on Letterman one time. When they were done Letterman just said "Well, there's your next Superbowl halftime show there."

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8350 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Yeah she is. Yolandi Visser...so hot right now..

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
I have a well known weakness for watching odd stuff that shows up in YouTubes recommendations, and that is how I ran across Die Antwoord. They are one of those acts where I prefer to watch their music videos or live performances rather than just listen to their music. I enjoy their videos quite a bit, but feel something is missing when I’ve tried just listening to them. They really are performers more than musicians. I think what I really appreciate is that they tell a story, but in a straightforward and obvious enough way that I can still get it. It’s not so high-concept that it goes over my head. Also, cookie thumper makes me laugh.

- Bret

Posts: 2464 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Music I like such as KMFDM, Skrillex, Lords of Acid, Thrill Kill Cult, and rap, means the music works too.

They don't take themselves seriously, and I like what they have to say about race and sexuality.

Arc.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
All right, all right! I admit it!
I may have, in the last year, watched them on youtube. Big Grin I may have gone back occasionally as their music gets stuck in the head. Big Grin

I agree w/ sadlerbw. I find the videos entertaining too.

I think Baby's on Fire is my favorite but I don't really follow them.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Having now listened through all of their albums, I'm happy to say there is more to them than their most popular songs. I'm pleased.

Arc.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I totally missed the bus on this one, allegedly they're done making music as Die Antwoord.. maybe?

you nailed that description,

I've heard them before,, definitely different,

not saying that as bad,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yolandi couldn't be much hotter...sporting a haircut done in a mental hospital. Their videos are hilarious....and I usually listen to old country/rockabilly and punk. And, a brand new band called STARCRAWLER, real rock and roll from young kids. Watch "I Love LA" Funny video

Dmac

Posts: 22 | Location: Coastal Massachusetts | Registered: July 22, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Still on the fence with them. Roll Eyes

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post