SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite minor characters in films
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite minor characters in films Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
What are some of your favorite minor characters? I have lots of them. Here are three which come to mind immediately.

Joe Versus the Volcano "May you live to be a thousand years old, sir."

No Country for Old Men "Are you jackin' with me?"

Hell or High Water "We don't sell no goddamn trout."

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Michael Parks in Kill Bill Vol II

Posts: 13155 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Are those minor characters? The three I cited have one short scene in their respective films. Ben Johnson and Michael Parks were well-known actors.

I know how these threads go. Next thing you know, we'll be calling James Caan a minor character in The Godfather.

One brief scene and then out is what I had in mind. I should have been more clear.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I thought so, para. You could argue against Johnson since I recall three scenes that he was in: this one, Shane’s return to the bar and their fight, and finally his warning to Shane. I certainly believe Parks’ portrayal of Estaban Vihaio was a minor character though—this one scene, then (as you put it) out.

Posts: 13155 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Regarding Michael Parks in that film, honestly, I couldn't tell you how big a role he had. I've never seen it and have no interest in seeing it.

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16600 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roman Polanski (eeew) comes to mind in Chinatown.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15988 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
The Coen Bros are masters in their use of interesting bit characters.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16600 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I think the luggage salesman from Joe Versus the Volcano is related to the sommelier from John Wick 2.

Speaking of John Wick, I like Officer Jimmy who was smart enough not to get himself killed through two JW movies.
"You working again, John?"

I also like the brief exchange w/ Francis.
"Why don't you take the night off."

Nowhere near as smooth and polished as the other two previously mentioned salesmen, but Don from Keeping the Faith is much funnier.

Cameron Klein, a SHIELD tech in Captain America: The Winter Soldier - with a HYDRA agent holding a gun to his head, Klein maintained his resolve, "I'm not going to launch those ships... Captain's orders."

Klein reappears in a cameo appearance aboard the helicarrier in Avengers: Age of Ultron and is name dropped by Nick Fury at the end of Infinity War.

I always liked Wedge Antilles in Star Wars Ep 4-6 but his throwaway cameo in Ep 9 was the worst kind of fan service.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: iron chef,

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not only the culmination of a great scene, but the guy's expression, delivery, and big buck teeth just kill me. Big Grin

Posts: 32405 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post

...the guy with the megaphone.

Posts: 11345 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Clifton James in Man With the Golden Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xta3sWd4fho

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I thought of Steven Spielberg in The Blues Brothers,(then Frank Oz, Ray Charles and others) but I think those and yours would cross the line and drift into cameos.

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:

I thought of Steven Spielberg in The Blues Brothers,(then Frank Oz, Ray Charles and others) but I think those and yours would cross the line and drift into cameos.

True.

Posts: 11345 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't think this guy is really a minor character, based solely on his lifetime of acting. He's mostly a supporting actor (with a few exceptions), which makes him a minor character in some sense. My favorite is M. Emmett Walsh.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Right, but which film?

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Matt Damon, Rangorok.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Right, but which film?

Blood Simple is in my opinion his best work, but he's hardly "minor" in that one, more supporting. For a minor role, the Group W sergeant in Alice's Restaurant.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Javier Bardem

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9668 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post