SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Nintendo NES/Emulators. What's good and where do I start?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nintendo NES/Emulators. What's good and where do I start? Login/Join 
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted
The Nintendo NES was my first and is still probably my favorite gaming platform. I lost my original console and stacks of games many years ago, but recently I have had an urge to play some old games through.

I see tons of emulators out there but I'm picky about authenticity. I don't want to play a bastardized version of Metal Storm or Battletoads, I want to play the original ROMs.

The market is filled with chinese-knockoff fuckery.

I need some help with the hardware and software options. I think my best bet may be to get a rasberri pi and usb-controller, but that's assuming I can find a legitimate emulator and ROM vendor.

What are you vintage gamers doing to get your 8-bit fix?

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Go console.

I use a RetroDuo (NES/SNES) and play the original cartridges. The controllers that come with it are a little cheap, though, so pick up an original on fleabay while you're shopping cartridges.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RetroPi on a Raspberry Pi3 + a couple USB controllers. I have a couple on Pi2 & they work great, but pi3 is more powerful & has built in wifi. write the image to SD, insert it into Pi, boot, copy games to 'ROMs' folder, play.

ROMs are another story, if you have the cartridge, it's somewhat legal to 'acquire' the ROM. If not, well....

Freeroms.com is where I got most of them, not sure if it's still around. I only have NES roms, never got into the superNES.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a complete setup on a Raspberry Pi 3 that works very well. I play original versions of NES , SNES, DOS, Game Gear, Genesis, and other console games. Even Doom, Quake, and Duke Nukem work well.

Start here: https://retropie.org.uk

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the guidance dudes!

I'm torn between hunting fleabay for a console and doing the pi thing.

I can get more games with the pi, but I love the old cartridges. The problem is I like a lot of rare titles. Metal Storm is hovering around 80$ for an original cartridge! I don't wanna know what Total Recall or Terminator 2 or Battletoads will set me back. Sweet bejeebus, I wish I held onto that damn thing!

ETA: Just bought this for my game boy advance. Looks like a heck of a deal if you still have a GBA.

https://www.amazon.com/Collect...advance+nes+classics

I hope it works. Still badly want the Schwarzenegger games and Metal storm, so the pet obsession continues...

Posts: 5127 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I still have my original NES and those exact titles. Big Grin

I still use the Pi because it is more convenient.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Sorry I wasn't clear. If you go the console route, the RetroDuo is current manufacture. Comes in several colors for about $30 on Amazon. The cartridges, obviously fleabay.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Sorry I wasn't clear. If you go the console route, the RetroDuo is current manufacture. Comes in several colors for about $30 on Amazon. The cartridges, obviously fleabay.

-Rob

I gotcha, I'm intrigued by these "multi-carts" I'm seeing around. If the Game Boy Advance one is good I might spring for a console and get what I'm missing.

Anyone watch old game run-throughs on youtube?
This dude is NUTS!
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/698752481

Yeah a lot of dudes just fly through it faster but that video is how you really ought to play the game.

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few websites that let you play the games right on the web page.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
There are quite a few websites that let you play the games right on the web page.

What's a good one? Any that don't dry hump your browser with adware?