SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Medal of Honor - New series on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medal of Honor - New series on Netflix Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I did not see this posted, apologies if it is a double post.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to this. Thanks.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
could be very good -

kinda bummed to see Petraeus interviewed - wish he would just go away

there are so many men who deserved that award who never got it - i wonder if they will delve into the process / politics of the award

sometimes i read the citations and go 'why did THIS guy get it --- but NOT this other guy ? '

Here is a guy who didn't but should have - got the Navy Cross:

---------------------------

Brian R. Chontosh
First Lieutenant, United States Marine Corps

For Services as Set Forth in the Following Citation:
For extraordinary heroism as Combined Anti-Armor Platoon Commander, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 25 March 2003. While leading his platoon north on Highway I toward Ad Diwaniyah, First Lieutenant Chontosh's platoon moved into a coordinated ambush of mortars, rocket propelled grenades, and automatic weapons fire. With coalition tanks blocking the road ahead, he realized his platoon was caught in a kill zone.

He had his driver move the vehicle through a breach along his flank, where he was immediately taken under fire from an entrenched machine gun. Without hesitation, First Lieutenant Chontosh ordered the driver to advance directly at the enemy position enabling his .50 caliber machine gunner to silence the enemy.

He then directed his driver into the enemy trench, where he exited his vehicle and began to clear the trench with an M16A2 service rifle and 9 millimeter pistol. His ammunition depleted, First Lieutenant Chontosh, with complete disregard for his safety, twice picked up discarded enemy rifles and continued his ferocious attack.

When a Marine following him found an enemy rocket propelled grenade launcher, First Lieutenant Chontosh used it to destroy yet another group of enemy soldiers. When his audacious attack ended, he had cleared over 200 meters of the enemy trench, killing more than 20 enemy soldiers and wounding several others.[1]

By his outstanding display of decisive leadership, unlimited courage in the face of heavy enemy fire, and utmost devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Chontosh reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

----------------------------------------------

That - to me - is the epitome of the award : Gallantry - violence of action - results - extreme danger - almost super-human

I was in the Army and know a little about how the awards game works and it kinda sucks.

There are many more who deserve significant recognition who are either victims of 'politics' or just slip through the cracks

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure my tear ducts can take watching that show.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
I'm not sure my tear ducts can take watching that show.

Agreed.

Posts: 1359 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
United States Marine Corps

Whenever I see a US Marine with a combat award, I immediately think they very likely deserved the next level up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
This looks very interesting. Thanks for posting.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, tough to watch. These guys are bad asses; worth your time.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post