SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Speaking of Van Halen...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Van Halen... Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Listening to some live stuff from the past and fairly recent. DLR is awful, his voice is gone if he ever had one. Sounds like a Las Vegas Lounge act. Sammy was a better singer, DLR had better songs to sing.

EVH still sounds good.

Wolfgang is a fantastic bassist. Keeps the bottom end really tight yet can still be a bass rhythm guitar hybrid. He’s better than Michael Anthony. I didn’t think I would ever say that.

Listen to live at the Tokyo Dome with a good system of good headphones. DLR is not good, but Wolfgang really plays well.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
AMERICA!!!
https://youtu.be/wk3XSV6H6w0

Sammy!
https://youtu.be/FDStPKHUbqw

Full diclsosure. Sammy is a friend of a friend. My friend was working for him when he made his jean company. Independent of that, Hagar + VH = their best work. Magnificent shit.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
5150 is perhaps my favorite album but my favorite songs are Dreams, Best of Both Worlds and Poundcake.

I pretty much like nearly all VH albums except the last two with the Extreme lead singer and DLR.

I always liked Sammy's voice better.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5374 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Van Hagar!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I heard Sammy would be the new front man for VH I didn't think they would be around much longer. After hearing how well they went together, I was amazed at how much more I liked the group. OU812 was a great album but 5150 brought it all home. Sammy still sounds great for his age.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I got to (had to) work with DLR because he was booked at one of my clients properties. I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Listening to some live stuff from the past and fairly recent. DLR is awful, his voice is gone if he ever had one. ...
He's pretty old now but, while I was never a VH fan, in his younger days he was a good rock singer.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
Several years ago I got to (had to) work with DLR because he was booked at one of my clients properties. I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience

Yup. Prima Donna. Its why Sammy got the job in the first fucking place. The band was over it, big time.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was initially excited about it until I discovered what an ego driven crazy bastard he was....miserable experience

That's just it, I think there is some mental illness going on there. He seems manic to me.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO Van Halen was just better with Sammy. He’s a pro.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still a V(F)H fan with Diamond Dave on the mic. But I'm talking pre-Sammy.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gatopescado
posted Hide Post
I saw Van Halen a few years back with DLR in San Antonio...he really sucked. All the Van Halens were really good but DLR was very annoying, I wish I would have seen Van Hagar way back when.

Posts: 994 | Location: South Texas | Registered: August 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
They are gonna ride him a while but they will eventually tire of him again. His problem is that he doesn’t realize that even though he does all the talking and singing, Eddie will always be the front man.

I doubt they will ever play with Sammy again. He’s big buddies and current band mate with Michael Anthony. Unless Wolf gets his own gig, MA is on the outside lookin in.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Right Now has always been my favorite VH song.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post