SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pink Floyd...this is what music was meant to be
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pink Floyd...this is what music was meant to be Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Poles Apart.

One of so many that I could point to that are just phenomenal. Take 7 minutes out of your day, sit back, close your eyes, and just ... listen to the art. If that's too much, just go to the 4:00 mark and enjoy that.

Gilmour's guitar work at the end is beyond description.

And the Beatles suck! Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gustofer,

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Another one at 16:30. Comfortably Numb. Sit back, close your eyes, and just...enjoy.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am a Beatles fan - love their work - particularly Harrison I think is hugely underrated as a guitarist

but Pink Floyd is in their own category - I have several of my favorites from various albums or concerts but I think Gilmour is a genius on the guitar

I probably listen to PF at least twice a week and enjoy playing some of their music - learning Gilmour's style and phrasing

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I love Pink Floyd. But in the meantime, for years I have been going to the Brit Floyd concerts. They are FANTASTIC. They really play to the audience and do all the good, old and all of Pink's music. I highly recommend trying to get to a Brit Floyd concert if you can. You won't be disappointed.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
been to Brit Floyd twice and Aussie Pink Floyd twice

I give a slight edge to the Aussie group - both times they seemed a bit tighter

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Got DSOTM at the BX at Tyndall after returning from Keflavick at the end of Feb. 1973.

Wore that sumbitch out listening to it almost every night as I drifted off to sleep.

The crap that the Millennials call Music today...

Gimme some fucking head music.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Yep, hard to beat PF and Gilmore.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urbanwarrior238:
I love Pink Floyd. But in the meantime, for years I have been going to the Brit Floyd concerts. They are FANTASTIC. They really play to the audience and do all the good, old and all of Pink's music. I highly recommend trying to get to a Brit Floyd concert if you can. You won't be disappointed.

Saw Brit Floyd at Red Rocks last year. Red Rocks is about a 10 minute drive from my house. Awesome show. Just looked up when they are playing Red Rocks this year....June 6. Mad

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as much as I like PF, I'm not a huge Waters fan but I will give him credit for what I think is the best rendition of Comfortably Numb and that is from his In the Flesh tour where he teamed up with Doyle Bramhall and Snowy White

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ako1dLdFHNA

I read an article by Bramhall how he put together his demo tape for Waters to get on the tour - very interesting

listening to the track is great, but if you can see the actual video of the track, it adds a lot

186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
If you are a PF fan, find yourself one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Pink-Floyd/dp/B000002B35

Amazingly good live box set. Very well recorded. I have the original on vinyl which is rare, but you might look for a CD set. I have a ton of PF but this is my favorite live set.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ I have that concert DVD. It's amazing. I believe nhtagmember recommended it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of Waters personally either, but I'll give the guy props for being an original member and a huge force in what made them great.

Unfortunately, as he matured, he kind of went off the deep end with the depressing crap (The Wall...still an amazing album, and The Final Cut). Not Syd Barrett deep end, but his own deep end. It seems that that was just where his mind was heading in those days. To each his own I guess. I saw an interview with him recently where he tamed down his views quite a bit and he seemed like a pretty decent fella. Still a big anti-Trumper though, but again...to each his own.

Thankfully, Gilmour, Wright, and Mason were able to remain creative and produce masterpieces like The Division Bell (their best album IMO).

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I`m a HUGE fan of PF.
Believe The Wall is a tremendous masterpiece that I`ve enjoyed over and over again since its first release.
Am also a fan of a lot of groups from the late 60`s that lasted till the 80`s but haven`t aged as well.

If you love The Wall, check this out.
Take a look at the musicians, outstanding!!

https://www.amazon.com/Back-Ag...63979&s=music&sr=1-2

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My local noncom radio station was playing only music from 1979 this past Thursday as part of their summer series called Throwback Thursday and I had to listen to (still) one of my favorite albums of all time that day on my way home from work; Pink Floyd's brilliant 1979 The Wall.

Did you ever take some time to really listen to the words of many of those songs? WOW, did Roger Waters have some MAJOR Mommy AND Daddy issues! Eek

Mother do you think they'll drop the bomb?
Mother do you think they'll like this song?
Mother do you think they'll try to break my balls?
Mother should I build the wall?
Mother should I run for president?
Mother should I trust the government?
Mother will they put me in the firing line?
Mother am I really dying?

Hush now baby, baby, dont you cry.
Mother's gonna make all your nightmares come true.
Mother's gonna put all her fears into you.
Mother's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She wont let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama will keep baby cozy and warm.
Ooooh baby ooooh baby oooooh baby,
Of course mama'll help to build the wall.

Mother do you think she's good enough -- to me?
Mother do you think she's dangerous -- to me?
Mother will she tear your little boy apart?
Mother will she break my heart?

Hush now baby, baby dont you cry.
Mama's gonna check out all your girlfriends for you.
Mama wont let anyone dirty get through.
Mama's gonna wait up until you get in.
Mama will always find out where you've been.
Mama's gonna keep baby healthy and clean.
Ooooh baby oooh baby oooh baby,
You'll always be baby to me.

Mother, did it need to be so high?

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
And I like the "Mother" OST version over the rest of them...

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I recognize their early brilliance, but I like their post Roger Waters stuff better. From what I understand David Gilmore's wife and/or significant other writes most of the lyrics.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a life-long guitar player, I regard Gilmour as one of the greats. But Richard Wright was the unsung hero of Pink Floyd in my opinion.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two more Gilmour (Pink Floyd) greats.

I've been working on Wish You Were Here for years and won't ever be able to make it sound as good as he does. Frown

He just makes it seem so effortless.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoinRoller:
As a life-long guitar player, I regard Gilmour as one of the greats. But Richard Wright was the unsung hero of Pink Floyd in my opinion.

I recall watching a documentary on PF several years ago and they were interviewing Nick Mason and he said the same thing - went to a recording studio, loaded up a tape and took ALL of Wrights music out of a song...it was amazing to hear

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been working on Wish You Were Here for years and won't ever be able to make it sound as good as he does.

It's a song I've learned and played out and one thing that's easy to do is to play it too fast. It needs space for sure.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post