SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    One joy of older movies.....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One joy of older movies..... Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
....is seeing more current stars in minor roles. Like Goldblum in Death Wish, or Jim Carrey in The Dead Pool. LOL

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Robert Duvall as Boo Radley from To Kill A Mockingbird back in 1962 Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Jack Nicholson : Andy Griffith Show

Elizabeth Montgomery (and many others) : the twilight zone

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Goldblum was in DEATHWISH????

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
He's one of the rapists.

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
David Caruso in First Blood.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Same thing when you watch Gunsmoke! Everyone at one time appeared in one or more Gunsmoke episodes. Burt Reynolds was in the first two seasons as Dodge City's blacksmith I believe.

Kurt Russel at about 16, Lee Van Cleef in his late teens early 20's, Earl Holliman and Dennis Hopper are a few I've seen lately.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Elizabeth Montgomery (and many others) : the twilight zone

William Shatner in the Nightmare at 20,000 Feet episode comes to mind as one of the others.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not that I would call him a "big star", but I got a good chuckle when I realized Nathan Fillion was the first wrong Private Ryan.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw this at the Drive Inn. Jack Nicholson.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I find a lot of interest looking at the filming locations, the cars - stuff that were afterthoughts at the time of filming, if considered at all.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Howard McNear, who played Doc on the Gunsmoke radio show, later played Floyd the Barber on The Andy Griffith Show.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One joy of older movies (and TV shows) is no cellphones.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
One joy of older movies (and TV shows) is no cellphones.

Speaking of that. One joy is viewing technology no longer in existence. There was a scene in a movie where the guy in the backseat is listening to his transistor radio. I recall some guys having an earpiece and listening to the ballgame in Church. I NEVER saw this in the movies and I went a lot in my teens. I guess people had more manners back then.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
...One joy is viewing technology no longer in existence...

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
No CGI. Before CGI, directors had to rely on a good plot and quality actors.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I other side of that is watching old movies with young people. I remember watching a movie with my niece and nephew and the protagonist was racing around trying to find a pay phone, which of course made no sense to them. "Why doesn't he use his cell phone?"

I thought about that, that's one way it's harder to write a story now than it was years ago, there's lots of movie and Tv shows plots that wouldn't work now that everyone has a phone/camera in their pocket.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Bill Paxton in The Terminator and Commando.

quote:
Originally posted by cas:

I thought about that, that's one way it's harder to write a story now than it was years ago, there's lots of movie and Tv shows plots that wouldn't work now that everyone has a phone/camera in their pocket.

Like Seinfeld.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bill Paxton as Chet in Weird Science.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Bill Paxton as Chet in Weird Science.

Or the radar guy in Commando.