SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What Is It With Draft Beer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is It With Draft Beer Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I have always thought that draft was the best way to enjoy beer. I have noticed lately that draft beer seems flat and tasteless. I know light beers are not as foamy and do not hold a head like regular beer.

Tonight we had a pitcher of Miller High Life and it was as flat as tap water. Is it dirty lines, dirty glasses,flat kegs or a combination?

I like beer with a head on it and I like to see bubbles rising in the glass. I think a certain amount of foam adds to the taste.

What is going on?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Could be a combo of all of the above.

Some beers that don't get ordered, can sit in the walk in for a long period of time.

We were practically giving away beer from an old Tecate keg that sat around for who knows how long. It was pretty stale.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, part of the problem is you ordered Miller High Life. It's nowhere near the middle of my favorite beer list.

I prefer bottles because a keg just tasted like a gigantic can unless you were somewhere in the middle of it.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Whoever is running the bar, needs to know what temperature and gas pressure at which to store beer. Dirty or really long lines, such that a pour could be "all line," could be the problem.

But, maybe someone didn't change the gas, or it's too low, or beer is wrong temp.

I'll take beer that is a lil flat, over a beer with too much gas in it, but neither is what a good bar should be serving.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
The problem w/ most bars is they serve all their beers from the same cold room. Your ice cold tongue blistering domestic should not be in the same serving room as ales.
I get irritated by this all the time when they serve my stout/pale/wheat/bitter/scotch ale/etc. in a frozen glass so I can't taste it because my tongue is numb.

But this is about High Life and it should be ice cold. Ice cold liquids retain more gasses. Was your beer a bit warm? If so, it's probably degassed a bit.

But like Arc, I lean toward less gas. For my stomach's sake.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

Tonight we had a pitcher of Miller High Life and it was as flat as tap water. Is it dirty lines, dirty glasses,flat kegs or a combination?

What is going on?

Miller High Life. There's your problem.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's probably the gas mixture. Dirty (not rinsed of soap completely) glass will also affect effervescence. I've sent many a tap beer back because it was flat and asked for a bottle instead. I also liked to pour my own. None of this sliding it down the side so there is no head as apparently servers have been taught to do. Nope, splash it right to the bottom until there is about 1 1/2" of head and about 1/2 full, then continue to fill gently so as not to increase the head much. 1 to 1 1/2 inch head is perfect and better more than less as it will dissipate in a minute or two.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I became a craft beer snob about 12 years ago. I'm having a marvelous Troeg's Nimble Giant as I type this. What I remember about Miller anything was it always gave me the sh*ts.

Now when I think of Miller my next question is usually "Did you sit in the gutter while you drank it?"

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

What is going on?

Miller High Life. There's your problem.

This 100%. The problem is that you are drinking piss swill. It will never taste good. It will only taste like nothing (water) when it's served ice cold, which is why it's usually served at this temperature.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A lot of craft beers, well most of them it seems, are ales which tend to be much less carbonated than lagers which I don't like.

We have a local craft brewery called Iron Hill Brewery in the PA-NJ-DE area and almost every one of their beers seems like it comes to your table almost flat. YUCK.

I don't go there much anymore.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always thought that draft was the best way to enjoy beer.

Do you also believe that ketchup goes well on a steak? Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Don't know if its the tap or not but it tastes better out of an Iced mug than out of a bottle.

Stella tastes pretty good out of a tap BTW.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Most people aren't aware4 just how much maintenance and cleaning is required of tap systems.

Unfortunately, many of these people also own bars.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron Hill blows. Why would you name a beer Hoppylicious? What man is going to order that without getting his a$$ kicked by his buddies?

Posts: 4657 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sanitizers required by health dept is the primary reason of flat beer currently, not to mention the horrendous taste

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing pisses me off more at a bar than frozen beer glasses. Immediately waters down the beer and ruins the head. I always make a stink if I see them grab one before pouring my beer.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Very interesting, never thought of that.

quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Sanitizers required by health dept is the primary reason of flat beer currently, not to mention the horrendous taste

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Nothing pisses me off more at a bar than frozen beer glasses. Immediately waters down the beer and ruins the head. I always make a stink if I see them grab one before pouring my beer.

frozen is no good but refrigerated or on ice is the way to do it

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Don't know if its the tap or not but it tastes better out of an Iced mug than out of a bottle.

Stella tastes pretty good out of a tap BTW.

tastes better because you can smell it,

your nose helps with taste, drinking out of a bottle is not a good way to drink beer, glass,, cup whatever, many times better

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
bubbles rising in our beer...hmm never had a beer with nitrogen?

Anyhow, lot's of factors here. The cleanliness of the lines, tap, glass, pitcher. The age of the keg, temperature all play factors in the final product.

If you want the best of any beer know the source. Pour it straight into the glass, don't tip it. Let the head develop and drink right through it. You'll be able to smell it and taste it.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post