SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hunter Killer - new submarine movie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter Killer - new submarine movie Login/Join 
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
man that submarine's bridge looks awful roomy

That's nothing! Go stretch out on the promenade deck Big Grin

The group "ooh rah"? Great noise discipline.

Going to pass on this masterpiece, unless there is plenty of emergency blow/all tubes emptied/hard right flank speed drifting (fast and furious!).

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
You never know, though.

I LOVED "Battleship."

Not even vaguely realistic, but a fun movie.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
It's got Michael Nyqvist in it (from John Wick). When it hits Redbox it won't be the worst movie to rent for $1.50.

How long did they keep this movie in the can before releasing it? Michael Nyqvist passed away over a year ago. Did like him in the 9 hour Swedish version of The Millenium Trilogy, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blackmore,

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I do not care. I am going to see it. With all of my meds, I have enough trouble with what is reality.

I need a break from something and this movie should provide it.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
What a shame this movie is such a crock of crap because it has a number of actors I like in it. As a former submariner, the hokiness and stupidity I saw in the trailer rivals that of Crimson Tide.

I'll pass on this flick.

Even though there were a lot of hokie parts in Crimson Tide, one of the things that surprised me was their accuracy in how launch messages were handled.

(Former Boomer Submariner)

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
If you want a SUBMARINE movie, watch Das Boot.

If you want a DUMB action movie, watch this one. I know I will be, and certainly NOT with a critical eye hoping for Tom-Clancy-like accuracy.

They are going to say OORAH, and I'm going to watch CGI subs blow up with childlike abandon.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

If you want a DUMB action movie, watch this one. I know I will be, and certainly NOT with a critical eye hoping for Tom-Clancy-like accuracy.They are going to say OORAH, and I'm going to watch CGI subs blow up with childlike abandon.

Now, that's the spirit

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.navytimes.com/news...m-common-and-oorahs/

'Hunter Killer’: A high-speed, explosive Navy blockbuster packed with King Leonidas, Rear Adm. Common — and oorahs?

By: J.D. Simkins   15 hours ago

What could possibly be better than the “Olympus has Fallen" version of Gerard Butler kicking ass to save the president of the United States? A U.S. Navy submarine commander variant of Gerard Butler kicking ass to save the entire world...by saving the president...of Russia.

Get ready, because the next Navy blockbuster, one that looks like the lovechild of “Fast and Furious” and “Hunt for Red October,” will be surfacing in theaters on Oct. 26.

Based on the book, “Firing Point,” by George Wallace and Don Keith, the film drops Butler’s character, submarine commander Joe Glass, on a next-generation sub in the Arctic Ocean, where his crew is responding to a distress call from another U.S. boat. But while navigating the icy depths, Glass discovers the Russian president has been kidnapped and a coup is threatening to plunge the world into a third World War.

To prevent worldwide devastation, Glass must partner with a team of Navy SEALs in a desperate race to extract the Russian president and navigate through treacherous enemy waters to safety, all while under the constant threat of a symphony of Michael Bay-level bombardments that would make Optimus Prime proud.

“Oorah!”

Say again? Oh yeah, evidently, the Navy featured in “Hunter Killer” has gone full-blown devil dog with motah, motah, gotta lotta motivation. Yut!

And although times are tense, and world peace hangs in the balance, don’t let Glass’ name fool you — his nerves are shatterproof.

Punishment-worthy dad jokes aside, “Hunter Killer” looks poised to melt your face off with non-stop intensity and a noteworthy cast.

Fresh off of an Oscar win for his portrayal of Winston Churchill (“Darkest Hour”), Gary Oldman brings his acting chops to the fray as Adm. Brad Crawford. He’s assisted by Common, a rear admiral whose character currently is credited as..."Rear Admiral." Oorah, rear admiral.

Michael Nyqvist (“John Wick,” “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo”), Linda Cardellini (“Avengers: Age of Ultron," “Grandma’s Boy”) and Toby Stephens (“13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi,” “Black Sails”) also lend their talents to the explosive thriller.

The film was “fully supported” by the U.S. Navy, a press release said, “with active-duty submarine subject matter experts, access to bases, submarines and the men and women who proudly serve every day in our Nation’s silent service” offering support.

No matter the viewer’s takeaway of the trailer, these heart palpitation-inducing films certainly have a niche audience. Gerard Butler ass-kicking has practically developed into its own genre, much like the well-established Academy Awards category of “The Liam Neeson Large Portions of Name-Taking.”

Sadly, Rihanna did not cross rate into the submarine community in time for film production, but the rest of the “Hunter Killer” crew is ready to bring the noise.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you asked a 12-year old what they would do to remake the Hunt for Red October, this would be it. The Navy is looking for a submarine version of Top Gun, and this is it. Constant action, lots of plot holes, a number of laughingly implausible scenarios, Navy SEALs, Navy hardware, plenty of orders and shouty bits....

It's what you'd expect of the current generation of short-attention span, damn the facts and accuracy but, give me more emotion screen time. Entertaining but, dumb.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Corsair is largely correct. It came out on Blu Ray yesterday I think because it was in my disc queue and they shipped yesterday, it came in today (Netflix disc). I thought it was a decent action suspend all reality flick. Yes throw plausibility at the window but my critique was set before I pushed play. It was certainly better than Olympus has Fallen. Was Rambo plausible? Nah, neither was a whole host of action films we’ve all seen. Watch this when you can get it on Netflix disc or Red Box, know what you’re getting into, and you’ll find it’s not a bad way to spend 2 hours on your couch or in your chair. Submarines, a few stealth aircraft, destroyers, a coup d’etat, some Scars, missiles, torpedos, Seals, blah. If you half way enjoy some B grade action films with decent CGI it’s worth a watch. If you a it has to be real person it’s not for you. I thought it’d be a lot worse. Common as an Admiral was a pretty good laugh, thankfully he’s not in it much and doesn’t have too many lines. I think if he wasn’t cast the thing would have at least broke even. It really wasn’t as bad as I suspected but there was some stuff where you say “yeah right, not a chance in hell” but I’ve been watching those types of films for 40 years. It was fun.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I may catch parts of it once it makes it to one of the Direct TV premium channels... till then, I'll pass. And I am a fan of classic Sub movies. and since it was mentioned several times, Das Boot is the movie... but if you really want to get into something.. get the book. I was over at some German friends house a year or so ago and they had some relatives visiting and I mentioned the movie and the guy said if you really want to know and read a good book, read Das Boot... I got the book and read it... damn......oddly enough the movie does do the book justice.

Who the heck is this Common guy?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is it DAS BOOT?? Hell no!!!! Is it a fun flick. Yes, yes it is. Turn off your brain and have fun with it. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Caught it on DirectTV last night. Yeah, it was hokey and quite phoney in a lot of parts with very little of it believable.

But...it was fun. A good waste of two hours.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I was entertained

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Fairly common in the movie business to hire technical consultants and then ignore them. Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
In other news, this morning, the Navy commissioned the USS South Dakota, SSN-790, Virginia class fast attack submarine.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:

If you want a DUMB action movie, watch this one. I know I will be, and certainly NOT with a critical eye hoping for Tom-Clancy-like accuracy.

They are going to say OORAH, and I'm going to watch CGI subs blow up with childlike abandon.

That was the mindset I had when I saw it in the theatre (only theatre visit in 2018) last November. I thought it was a decently entertaining action flick that required no deep thinking. Just what I wanted at that time.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Killed some time for $2. Fair enough. It was pretty rough. But whatever. I own Das Boot on DVD. Not sure why I didn't punch that back in. Smile

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Fairly common in the movie business to hire technical consultants and then ignore them. Big Grin

There were a couple episodes of "JAG" where the Admiral was acting as a technical consultant on a movie and he was losing his mind because they wouldn't listen.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to kill a couple of hours I guess, Gary Oldman was wasted as he should have had a more prominent role. I agree it is no Das Boot.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post