SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Hunter Killer - new submarine movie
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunter Killer - new submarine movie Login/Join 
posted

I'm trying not to laugh...Common is a rear admiral. Roll Eyes

While the imagery is impressive, the dialogue and jargon is definitely NOT.

Dive the ship...
Battle stations...ohh-rah!
...you wanted a hunter-killer Big Grin

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Squids/Bubbleheads really don't yell 'Ooh-rah,' do they?

That's probably the thing that bugged me the most. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I'm trying not to laugh...Common is a rear admiral. Roll Eyes

While the imagery is impressive, the dialogue and jargon is definitely NOT.

Dive the ship...
Battle stations...ohh-rah!
...you wanted a hunter-killer Big Grin

You can count me out Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

You know there was a number of retired Navy technical advisors on-set cringing when they heard that and decided they needed to pick their battles and let the director have his stupid saying.
Could only imagine the litany of idiocy that could have made the screen had there been zero advisors....

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
It's got Michael Nyqvist in it (from John Wick). When it hits Redbox it won't be the worst movie to rent for $1.50.

Posts: 4005 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

Could only imagine the litany of idiocy that could have made the screen had there been zero advisors....

They could have 100 advisors yet take none of their advice. . . It would explain a lot.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21820 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

No, but "Oohrah" is thought to have originated as "Aroogah" of the subs in WWII by the Marine Raiders.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4609 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a shame this movie is such a crock of crap because it has a number of actors I like in it. As a former submariner, the hokiness and stupidity I saw in the trailer rivals that of Crimson Tide.

I'll pass on this flick.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Das Boot is the definitive standard in this genre. This is not another Das Boot. The runner up is The Hunt For Red Oktober. This is no Red Oktober, either.

I'm going to be streaming the classics, instead of this pedestrian fare, methinks.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
What a crock of canary crap...

Posts: 13789 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Kinda makes me feel the way I felt when my boomer submarine friends visited our 580-Class Diesel Fast Attack sub and asked where the "exercise room" or the "washers and dryers" were...

Sigh. Can't be worse than Crimson Tide or Gray Lady Down...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
What a shame this movie is such a crock of crap because it has a number of actors I like in it. As a former submariner, the hokiness and stupidity I saw in the trailer rivals that of Crimson Tide.

I'll pass on this flick.

Haha, I was thinking I'm glad I'm a dumb grunt and not a squid, I won't know all the stupidity and might like it! Wink

Netflix movie for sure, not worth the theater price.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the recruiting command got a hard-on and thumbs-up when they saw one of the producers is from the Fast & the Furious franchise. Roll Eyes
This will help our numbers like Top Gun did for us back in the 80's!

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yawn.... more garbage from Hollyweird. Frown

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The director should have had the crew put on the special ops sunglasses and nod their heads everytime they said "ooh rah".

Posts: 4121 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looks terrible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Olympus has Fallen meets The Last Ship.

The last submarine movie I enjoyed was Black Sea. Although it did have a couple technical errors in it the director was honest enough to admit that he took some dramatic license with reality in a couple scenes, it was still largely accurate...and besides much of the movie was filmed on an actual Soviet sub.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine why Gerard Butler isn't getting more work.

But I might rent it.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Great trailer, now I don't need to waste the money on tickets because you can piece together just how predictable it is in 2min.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
man that submarine's bridge looks awful roomy

(former Army guy here ... what do I know...)

---------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post