SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    RIP Sir Ian Holm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Sir Ian Holm Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
So many great roles... Ash in Alien, Bilbo in Lord of the Rings, Dr. Willis in The Madness of King George, Father Cornelius in The Fifth Element, etc.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/e...inment-arts-53110391

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I had no idea he was that old, though I guess I haven't seen him in some time. Always enjoyed him in any roles. Sad news.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
So many great roles... Ash in Alien, Bilbo in Lord of the Rings, Dr. Willis in The Madness of King George, Father Cornelius in The Fifth Element, etc.

Also, as Zerah in Jesus of Nazareth. Such a great actor. RIP.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Such a talented actor. I enjoyed his work. Rest easy, Sir Ian.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
RIP, Sir Ian. We'll miss your work.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I was watching Chariots of Fire just the other day.

I believe I first saw him in Alien. I saw it in the theater with my father. the scene where they knock his head off and he still keeps flailing- I didn't realize until near the end of that scene that he was portraying an android. It seems that that was the intent of the film makers- to keep this fact hidden until that intense scene. I almost walked out of the theater because to me, the scene made no sense. Talk about intense. I banged the armrest of my seat and started to get up, but I managed to hang in there with it and then it became clear that he was portraying a machine.

That is the one thing I remember about viewing this film in the theater, and I am grateful for the impression that scene made upon me, because it allows me to remember that my father was seated next to me. I even remember that he was seated to the left of me. All else about trip to the theater has faded. It's very possible that but for that scene and my reaction to it, I would have by now forgotten that trip to the theater altogether.

So, to Sir Ian and to Ridley Scott, I say thank you.

Alien was in theaters in the summer of 1979. I notice from IMDB that the TV version of All Quiet on the Western Front (the one with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine) was aired in November, 1979, so that would have been the second time I saw Sir Ian. I don't recall if I recognized him from Alien, but I do recall his portrayal of Himmelstoss, who was a sadist and a coward. He nailed it.

And then, Chariots of Fire, Time Bandits, Greystoke and Brazil. By that time, I surely recognized the man and his talent.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I was watching Chariots of Fire just the other day.

I believe I first saw him in Alien. I saw it in the theater with my father. the scene where they knock his head off and he still keeps flailing- I didn't realize until near the end of that scene that he was portraying an android. It seems that that was the intent of the film makers- to keep this fact hidden until that intense scene. I almost walked out of the theater because to me, the scene made no sense. Talk about intense. I banged the armrest of my seat and started to get up, but I managed to hang in there with it and then it became clear that he was portraying a machine.

That is the one thing I remember about viewing this film in the theater, and I am grateful for the impression that scene made upon me, because it allows me to remember that my father was seated next to me. I even remember that he was seated to the left of me. All else about trip to the theater has faded. It's very possible that but for that scene and my reaction to it, I would have by now forgotten that trip to the theater altogether.

So, to Sir Ian and to Ridley Scott, I say thank you.

Alien was in theaters in the summer of 1979. I notice from IMDB that the TV version of All Quiet on the Western Front (the one with Richard Thomas and Ernest Borgnine) was aired in November, 1979, so that would have been the second time I saw Sir Ian. I don't recall if I recognized him from Alien, but I do recall his portrayal of Himmelstoss, who was a sadist and a coward. He nailed it.

And then, Chariots of Fire, Time Bandits, Greystoke and Brazil. By that time, I surely recognized the man and his talent.

Alien was the first time I saw him, and he portrayed Ash very very well,

side drift, I also saw in the theater with some high school friends, one of the best horror movies out there,

the 40th anniversary last year, it was shown in a local theater , so I took the wife,
it's one of her favorite movies, and she had never seen it on the big screen ,

even tho we have both seen it 100x's (own it on DVD) it was great to see it on the big screen

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Looking over his list of films, I see that he played Himmler in the TV miniseries Holocaust in 1978, and I saw every minute of that miniseries, as did most Americans. Those os us were alive back then can tell you that Holocaust was the very definition of a "television event".

I don't remember him in it, but as I said, he left a lasting impression on me with Alien.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
My dad and I see very few films together.

Time Bandits was one we both really enjoyed.

Godspeed Sir Ian.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
RIP, Sir Ian. Frown

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
RIP Sir, thank you for the good times.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing him in Alien ..I took my little brother to see it at Phipps Plaza in Atlanta... I think the scene of him trying to cram a rolled up magazine down Ripley’s throat freaked him out as much as the alien busting out at the table scene...he was most excellent in The Fifth Element and as Bilbo The Lord Of The Rings...RIP Sir Frown

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
RIP, Sir.

While his performance as Bilbo in the film versions of LOTR was very good, his portrayal of Frodo in the BBC radio version from 1981 was even better. I highly recommend giving it a listen.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
He could also play an action hero, which he did in Len Deighton’s Game/Set/Match, one of the best miniseries spy thrillers ever.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Looking over his list of films, I see that he played Himmler in the TV miniseries Holocaust in 1978, and I saw every minute of that miniseries, as did most Americans. Those os us were alive back then can tell you that Holocaust was the very definition of a "television event".

That tv event predates me slightly, as in I was 10 or so, but did not see it due to my age. I recall seeing it not much later.

I read a scholarly book on the Holocaust from a legal perspective of how it deliberately came about and WHY so many hard core SS killers go commuted sentence and why notorious "hanging judges" got placed back on the bench in just a few years after the war, pretending like they did not have scores or hundreds of petty criminals put to death. The legality of it all, shame of defeat, and "move ahead" at all costs. Just a few examples.

According to the author of that book, what threw a large wrench into that systematic policy of "willful ignorance" and apathy of the German people to punish the nazi killers was the miniseries Holocaust (of all things). It started a few year period of resumed investigations and trials.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Batty67,

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
RIP, Sir Ian.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post