SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    We are the World
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

We are the World Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Are you old enough to remember? It came across my YouTube feed and I watched the whole thing.
This is before auto-tune and ‘singers’ who could not sing. Just the star power here, amazing.

In order of appearance:
Lionel Richie Stevie Wonder Paul Simon Kenny Rogers James Ingram Tina Turner Billy Joel Michael Jackson Diana Ross Dionne Warwick Willie Nelson Al Jarreau Bruce Springsteen Kenny Loggins Steve Perry Daryl Hall Huey Lewis Cyndi Lauper Kim Carnes Bob Dylan Ray Charles And of course, the conductor is Quincy Jones

Edit: There’s a ton of people that didn’t get the spotlight to sing a solo:
Dan Aykroyd Harry Belafonte Lindsey Buckingham Mario Cipollina Johnny Colla Sheila E. Bob Geldof Bill Gibson Chris Hayes Sean Hopper Jackie Jackson LaToya Jackson Marlon Jackson Randy Jackson Tito Jackson Waylon Jennings Bette Midler John Oates Jeffrey Osborne The Pointer Sisters Smokey Robinson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yep. They made us sing it in 5th grade.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
This and the Challenger explosion were the two television events shown in class at my junior high school.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of the singers in that video needed auto-tune.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Bruce looking like he’s having bowel difficulties.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
This was big in the day and great until worn out. Just enjoyed a repeat listen, but I should be good for a few decades. Smile

Who was on mic right before Michael's solo (not Michaels chorus)? Blonde headed guy. Before the 2:42 mark.

Suprised I didn't remener Kim Carnes the blonde right before Cyndi Lauper.

There were a couple of others I didn't remember simply because they weren't in any of the genres I listened to at the time.

Neat trip down memory lane. Thanks.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who was on mic right before Michael's solo (not Michaels chorus)? Blonde headed guy. Before the 2:42 mark.

Daryl Hall, of Hall and Oates.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Lol, I recognized Oates, forgot about Hall. Thanks.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

He's the only one that stood out as a no talent hack. The rest are amazing.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

he always does,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Impressive. I had forgot about this one. An awful lot of star power on one stage. I agree - I didn't hear anyone needing true-tone.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
In my mind, it was always the red-head stepchild to Band-Aid (Do They Know It's Christmas), but there was certainly some star power there. I also always thought that Steve Perry and Huey Lewis kinda stole the show on that record.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChicagoSigMan,

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

Lol, I recognized Oates, forgot about Hall. Thanks.

That the exception to the norm Smile

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Like the song or not, it was a massive undertaking for these folks to get everyone organized and put that song/video together. The documentary is fairly interesting. I can appreciate what Lionel Richie, Quincy Jones, et. al. were trying to accomplish. Did it do any good, i.e., USA for Africa? Maybe at the moment, but many parts of Africa have not improved one iota since all that money (I'm sure it was in the MILLIONS of dollars) was sent way back when. Still a 3rd-world shit hole, but I digress...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post