SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Jason Statham movie "The Wrath of Man"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jason Statham movie "The Wrath of Man" Login/Join 
posted
Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYEni2gsK0

Review:

https://nypost.com/2021/05/06/...s-most-badass-movie/

‘Wrath of Man’ review: The year’s most badass movie

Jason Statham is the Baryshnikov of badassery.

In “Wrath of Man,” the actor’s character, called H, breathtakingly kills 10 people like he’s doing a chassé into a glorious grand jeté onstage at Lincoln Center. (Look it up, you rubes.)

H is one of many brusque fellows who work for Fortico, an armored-car company that moves millions of dollars in cash and jewels daily for reputable clients. The drivers all have enjoyably moronic nicknames such as Hollow Bob (Rocci Williams), Boy Sweat Dave (Josh Hartnett) and Bullet (Holt McCallany). H recently replaced Sticky John. That moniker, thankfully, goes unexplained.

Their banter is an HR nightmare. They call the woman who watches over one bank’s vault Hot Betty, and the bros crack locker room jokes that would send snowflakes into therapy.

But violence, not humor, is king here.

On his first run, H’s car is attacked by a band of robbers looking to steal the dough. Instead of following company guidelines and not going toward danger, H kills every single one with all the effort of licking a postage stamp.

“I’m beginning to think he’s a psychopath,” says one of his comrades at the office. Truth be told, I’m beginning to think I’m a psychopath for how much I enjoyed watching Statham spill gallons of blood and brains all over Los Angeles sidewalks.

However, director Guy Ritchie, whose work is hit and miss, turns the most barbaric carnage into carnival rides. This is Ritchie’s second straight crime film triumph after “The Gentlemen,” starring Matthew McConaughey and Hugh Grant.

“Wrath of Man” isn’t as blatantly funny as “The Gentlemen” is, though it has its laughs, but it is taut and exhilarating without a single wasted moment.

Gradually, we learn more about the cagey and mysterious H — where he came from and why he’s working at Fortico when he’s clearly overqualified to be a simple security guard. A shadowy group of villains, including Scott Eastwood, is introduced later and given just as juicy a backstory as the lead. It’s that careful unravelling and attention to detail that lifts “Wrath of Man” above most other shoot’em-ups and revenge films.

The plot builds to an epic grand finale that, I can say without spoiling anything, features a lot more death than it does puppies.

Also: A quick nod to Christopher Benstead’s ominous score. You’re not gonna leave humming it — if you do, you’re weird — but it’s extremely effective in both signaling urban decay and creating smart suspense, not unlike the excellent music in “Joker.”

None of this would work nearly as well without steely Statham, a frequent collaborator of Ritchie’s and one of our best working action stars. What separates the Brit from, say, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is you never truly believe Johnson would kill somebody. Statham, on the other hand, could very well be a paid government assassin who makes Hollywood films in order to hide his true identity. The guy rarely cracks a smile, and when he does, it’s because he did a great job killing a bunch of bad guys.

By Johnny OleksinskiMay 6, 2021 | 6:03pm |

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Would like to see JS in shakespearean play. Imagine him uttering “ What manner of Fuckery is this”?

Posts: 13812 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The Gentlemen was a great flick to me. I laughed an awful lot and I thought it would be a stinker. There were scenes where I was almost on the floor. I didn’t think Guy had it in him anymore. So many stinkers since Snatch. Colin Farrell was absolutely hilarious. The scene in the gym with the c word, only Guy could write that and get away with it. So I’m looking forward to this. I saw the trailer and said here we go another Jason movie. Geez the mechanic all his films, man it’s the same thing, what was other one Crank or something? He’s the younger Liam doing the same shit every movie. But Guy Ritchie is back on the radar after the Gentlemen. This should be on 4k blu ray in 90 days or less.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
It all started with Guy Ritchie casting him as Bacon Wink

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
A little confusing, but I enjoyed it. I'll probably watch it again when it comes out on streaming.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was OK, but in my opinion not up to Ritchie's best. Of course, I'm one of the three people who liked "Revolver," so my opinion arguably sucks.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed it, so did my wife.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Let me guess, He single handedly beat everyone to a pulp and save his daughter or avenge his brother.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:
Let me guess, He single handedly beat everyone to a pulp and save his daughter or avenge his brother.

Hey, warn a guy about spoilers please!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRMN8R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
It was OK, but in my opinion not up to Ritchie's best. Of course, I'm one of the three people who liked "Revolver," so my opinion arguably sucks.

Gettin’ left out again, I see Roll Eyes .

Better make it four on that list, kid Wink .

G19G5x2/G43/G42
Canik TP9 SFx
HK45c Tactical
USP45c/ss
P30S V3
P30 V1 LEM
And a butt-load of P7's...

Posts: 721 | Location: Harley City, GA | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
My wife and I watched it last night. She liked it but I thought it was “meh.” Lots of unexplained plots lines that go no where. While the action sequences were ok the rest was mediocre imho.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRMN8R:
quote:

and I need to watch it again, it's been a while,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A very good movie, I thought. Statham's roles are best when he acts and limits the quips, which he does well here.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by Billythekids:

Hey, warn a guy about spoilers please!!
I literally just saw the movie, Not what i was expecting. Love it. though its no JW.

Posts: 105 | Registered: March 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by TRMN8R:
quote:

and I need to watch it again, it's been a while,

Posts: 4587 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
My wife and I watched it last night. She liked it but I thought it was “meh.” Lots of unexplained plots lines that go no where. While the action sequences were ok the rest was mediocre imho.

The one major plot hole is an explanation for who these people are that Statham's character leads. I'm assuming they used to be a military unit.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post