SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Odd question for anyone familiar with Donovan's Reef
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Odd question for anyone familiar with Donovan's Reef Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know the beer they drink throughout the movie? I have an family who's Christmas tradition is to watch Donovan's Reed and drink the beer. They mentioned they haven't been able to find locally the last year or two and I'm going to try and surprise them with a 6 pack but I cannot remember the name and don't know anyone with a copy of the movie.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Where are our early 60's beer label experts? Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Fosters label. I believe Fosters is an Australian beer.
I love that movie. In fact I'm planning on watching it and A Christmas Story Christmas day

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin!" ( Fletcher in The Outlaw Josie Wales)

Posts: 644 | Location: Wisconsin,USA | Registered: September 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking it started with as S. Fosters is readily available so It almost has to be something else. Is there a beach scene where they are carrying bottles with them maybe? The conversation was yesterday but I just can’t remember.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is SigForum, you know somebody has the movie.

That would be me.

My girlfriend and I watched the bar fight, and they kept the labels covered, couldn't read them. Sorry!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for looking, didn't think to try amazon first but it's a $4 rental so I'll let it play tonight while finishing up some other things and maybe I'll catch it.

Sten or Stien keep popping in my head, and that they just drink Heineken now instead.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have it on an AVI on my computer, scanned through it a time or two, I only see the bottles in the bar scenes like I posted.

This old Fosters bottle sure in close.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Looks like this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-a...tle-label/1165928457

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just finished it myself and I agree it seems to be the only one there. Oh well, I'll ask them about it again and surprise them next year.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
just finished it myself and I agree it seems to be the only one there. Oh well, I'll ask them about it again and surprise them next year.

What?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the movie was available on Amazon to rent and just finished it. I didn’t see any other beer bottles it could have been so sometime in the next year I’ll bring it up and see what beer it was they used to buy for their yearly viewing and get if for them next Christmas.