SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Paris, Texas (the movie)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paris, Texas (the movie) Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted

My wife and I watched this movie (1984). If you like character studies in movies, this is one for you; I thought it was great.

For me, the soundtrack from Ry Cooder, was the original attraction. Harry Dean Stanton’s performance is absolutely incredible, and Nastassja Kinski was both incredibly beautiful and good in this movie as well.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yep, great movie. Same impressions.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I guess it’s just us, bud

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looking to find and watch this....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, a lovely film. Written by Sam Shepard, directed by Wim Wenders. Probably Harry Dean Stanton's best role. A very tender film that takes a bit of patience on the part of the viewer, but, those who can sit still are rewarded with a fine payoff.

I actually have an ancient DVR I refuse to "upgrade" with DirecTV because it has so many great recordings on it, with one of those being the December 17, 2014 TCM broadcast of this film, with Robert Osborne and Jason Lee.

Here's the intro:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks for adding those 3 videos, para, I watched all three. Like I said in my original post, Ry Cooder is among my favorite guitar players and that was my original attraction to the movie. I was unavoidably pulled into Travis’ story though.

I’ve informed my wife that I want this played at my memorial service.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Found it.

Different for sure. And I can't remember the last time I watched a 2.5 hour long movie. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16182 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
It's on my list. Since quarantine hit last year, I've made it a point to watch every driving and road movie I can. I've been documenting them on the Letterboxd movie review site. (I'm at over 580 driving and road movies so far.) I haven't been able to find a source for this one yet. I don't want to watch it streaming on my laptop.

Besides, before I tackle Paris, Texas, I want to watch Wenders's road trilogy movies Alice in the Cities, The Wrong Move, and Kings of the Road first.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I've sought out all of his (Wim Wenders) filmography that I could find and was never disappointed. Wings of Desire is a nice follow up to P,T.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this one. I initially thought the movie started out a bit slow, but I just found myself taken in by the good acting, music, scenery, and the story. I really liked it.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen it in years and even then only once, but I remember liking it then.

Will have to seek out again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always look forward to anything from Harry Dean Stanton. I first discovered him in The Missouri Breaks.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Airing this coming Wednesday, March 10 at 10:00 PM on TCM.

As a matter of fact, it looks like an evening of HDS films- Wise Blood; Paris, Texas; Straight Time and The Missouri Breaks

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up, para

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you haven't seen Wise Blood, you'll want to tune in or set the DVR. Coming on just before Paris, Texas. Based upon a story by Flannery O'Connor and directed by John Huston (spelled J-h-o-n in the opening credits) and starring Brad Dourif, this film is not for everyone. For the film buffs among you, though, this is required viewing. Southern Gothic at its most acute.

You may know not know the name Brad Dourif, but he was Doc Cochran in the HBO series Deadwood, or you may know him as Piter De Vries from David Lynch's Dune. Wise Blood is a rare if not unique starring role for Dourif, who has always been a character actor.

From 1979, oh and also with a role by our favorite Harry Dean Stanton.

I think Wise Blood is a fine lead-in to Paris Texas, because the latter is as gentle as the former is harsh.

After Paris, Texas, they are airing Straight Time, a Dustin Hoffman vehicle, and also with a role by HDS.

If TCM programmed like this all the time, I'd never have a complaint.

Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Looks like Ned Beatty is in Wise Blood too. He can be very good as well.

I generally like Brando’s Westerns, but have never been very fond of The Missouri Breaks. Guess I’ll give it one more chance.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I saw Paris, Texas when it came out. It is time to watch it again.

Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up Para. The DVR is set for Paris, Texas.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I always thought Straight Time was one of Hoffman's better performances. He really captured the sad, hopeless, DGAF attitude his life seemed to be locked into.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post