SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Star Wars question:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Star Wars question: Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lechiffre:
EPCOT

Exactly. Google it and you'll see Disney's genius. In concentric rings.

(We're talking about the planned community that was never built - not the theme park.)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
Maybe they're based on crop circles?

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Look at Sun City, AZ.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

The Rule of Cool. Nerds try and find meaning in all sorts of their fantasies. Why does this look like that? Why do they do this? And the nerdier they are, the deeper they go.

**SNIP**

Yeah, I'm a nerd, and I notice this a lot. My favorite is the explanation of how Han Solo 'made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.' I think they just got the terminology wrong (implying time, whereas parsec is a measure of distance; not time). Then, the nerds came out with this explanation:

quote:
The Kessel Run was a hyperspace route used by smugglers and unscrupulous freighter captains to move spice from the spice mines of Kessel at the behest of the Pyke Syndicate, who relied on the foolhardy Kessel Runs to deliver the illicit substance to their customers. The route involves several extreme changes in velocity in order to jump to, and drop out of, light speed with the minimum time spent out of hyperspace while making drops, pick ups or tight turns. It was therefore the source of much bragging between smugglers. The time to perform the run proved too difficult to arbitrate (due to the highly relativistic distances involved) but a fierce competition developed nonetheless, for the pilot and ship able to make the run while covering the shortest overall distance demonstrating the most adept maneuverability and pilotage. Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon, made the infamous run in less than 12 parsecs, breaking a long-held record.

TrekNerds (I am more of a Trek guy than SW; but I like both) get into this a LOT. They went to RIDICULOUS extremes to explain why the Klingons in The Original Series looked different than they do from The Motion Picture forward. OF COURSE, the answer is "they had better make-up and a bigger budget," but they even made a Star Trek: Enterprise episode to explain that there was some stupid virus (or some other *ss-pull) that physically changed their appearance. It's one of the more stupid 'explanations' that never NEEDED to be explained. What makes it worse, is they dedicated an entire show plot to it, when it was never necessary in the first place.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they will incorporate the Kessel Run and the above rationale into the Han Solo movie to make the explanation canon and all.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I wonder if they will incorporate the Kessel Run and the above rationale into the Han Solo movie to make the explanation canon and all.

Bank on it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wouldn't count on such a complicated explanation.

It could be as simple as, the kessel run is 12 parsecs long because it has to go around some nebula cloud of dense asteroid field. He did it in less than 12 by going through than around.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
"Look, Kids... Big Ben!"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:

It could be as simple as, the kessel run is 12 parsecs long because it has to go around some nebula cloud of dense asteroid field. He did it in less than 12 by going through than around.

But what does that have to do with speed? Han was citing that incident as an example of the Millenium Falcon's speed, not it's navigational adroitness.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The retcon seems to be about making it a distance record than a time record, so his claim could be shown the way Scurvy described it.

Then again, this is a discussion for someone else's thread.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
"Because it looks cool."

I think that is the easiest, and most likely answer.

Sometimes we just gotta turn our brains off and enjoy the show.

I'm goin' with this Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
quote:

But what does that have to do with speed? Han was citing that incident as an example of the Millenium Falcon's speed, not it's navigational adroitness.

In a commentary track on the Star Wars Blu-ray release, George Lucas stated that ships in the Star Wars universe can't travel in straight lines while in hyperspace due to collisions with celestial objects. Thus, distance is an important factor in how quickly a ship can get from point A to point B. The Millennium Falcon's superior navigation computer allowed it to travel shorter distances between points and arrive faster.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If you imagine the core production activity of any community whatever it may be, the logical layout of people and resources to support that activity would be structured as circles around that activity prioritized by whatever or whoever needs to be close to the activity.

A circle encompasses the most area per linear feet of boundary, so that maximizes the are given to the production activity.

Then concentric circles around it gives equal distance of travel to everyone per given circle. As populations increase, there comes a break even point where it's more economical to go establish a new geographic locus of activity than to be on the last layers of concentric circles around a hub.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The retcon seems to be about making it a distance record than a time record, so his claim could be shown the way Scurvy described it.

Then again, this is a discussion for someone else's thread.

Sorry, Chief, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post