SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Star Wars question:
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Star Wars question: Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Is there an explanation for why Coruscant is covered in concentric circles? I realize the entire planet is a city, but it seems strange that there are circles.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I don't recall ever reading anything about this. Maybe some sort of urban planning?

There are many sub-layers. The further down you go, the more slums there are.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Perhaps zoning laws that dictate how the cities could expand?

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's ever been addressed.

Could be urban planning, with the buildings built up in clusters forming huge rings.

The lines in-between could be transportation routes. Something like giant aerial highways for flying vessels, linking the different clusters of buildings on the surface, which are lit up by the lights of the traffic.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coruscant

Was that in the Hasnian(sp) system? Is it moot?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9153 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Aliens.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
Coruscant

Was that in the Hasnian(sp) system? Is it moot?

Nope

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the circles but that's a lot of light bulbs.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Star Wars question:

quote:
Coruscant

Hey wait, you said Star Wars, not some other shit. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Confused

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Gerrymandering...

Actually, never seen it addressed anywhere either.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The advanced city that Jodie Foster's character sees briefly in Contact also appears to be built on a circular grid pattern of some type. I would guess that a metropolitan layout of this kind has various advantages in efficiency and logistics, from power distribution to transportation. Maybe some day our cityscapes will look like this.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
"Because it looks cool."

I think that is the easiest, and most likely answer.

quote:
I would guess that a metropolitan layout of this kind has various advantages in efficiency and logistics, from power distribution to transportation. Maybe some day our cityscapes will look like this.

Washington DC is laid out like spokes of a wheel. Apparently, it's a real PITA to get around town.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Nerds Razz

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Gerrymandering...

Can that even be considered in a government where all the representatives are from other planets?

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Perhaps....
Constant traffic creates the lines between "city centers" and the circles are the traffic loops around those centers....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
OK, here's the answer provided by one of my connections into nerddom

"utopian urban planning. manufacturing/industry in the center, commercial surrounds that, residential surrounds that. all goods flow from the center :smiley: the cities likely existed where the circle centers are before they spread to cover the planet."

And there is this link : details & history

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
"Because it looks cool."

I think that is the easiest, and most likely answer.

The Rule of Cool. Nerds try and find meaning in all sorts of their fantasies. Why does this look like that? Why do they do this? And the nerdier they are, the deeper they go. I was reading about the universe of Firefly, because I too am a nerd, and there was a retarded debate about the guns. Why do the guns all look like modern guns? That's clearly a Winchester, that's clearly a Saiga, that's clearly a Glock, and so on. Possible answers were arms control laws making only ancient weapons legal, but that didn't explain why even government forces had the same kind of guns. Maybe when humanity left Earth, the weapon manufacturers went with them and took their designs with them, and instead of starting from the ground up they just used what they knew?

Oooooooooor, maybe it's a TV show filmed in the present where all they have are guns from today, and a prop house full of tools and epoxy and little metal bits that look cool hanging off an Uzi but don't actually do anything?

Sometimes we just gotta turn our brains off and enjoy the show.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
EPCOT

Posts: 611 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Maybe they're based on crop circles?

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post