SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Music to bring some beauty back into this world...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Music to bring some beauty back into this world... Login/Join 
Conductor in Residence
Picture of Maestro
posted
After the Kennedy assassination, Leonard Bernstein penned the following words:

We musicians, like everyone else, are numb with sorrow at this murder, and with rage at the senselessness of the crime. But this sorrow and rage will not inflame us to seek retribution; rather they will inflame our art. Our music will never again be quite the same. This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before.

To bring some beauty back into the world after a week of darkness, I offer this recording of a fairly new composition called "Lux: The Dawn from On High." (Lux is latin for light.) The composer is a young man named Dan Forrest, and I believe that we will be studying his music in 200 years much like we study Bach and Beethoven.

I've had the privilege of conducting his "Requiem for the Living," and it is one of the most memorable experiences of my career.

Posts: 3675 | Location: Tampa Bay, FL | Registered: July 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this - this is excellent!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Smile

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that. Thank you for posting this.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Damn. That was great to listen to while sipping on a double Monkey Shoulder on the rocks. Thank you Maestro.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7656 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was wonderful! Thanks!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for posting this Maestro.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Ken-in-Tucky | Registered: June 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed this so much, I purchased the selections via iTunes. I’m going to check out the composer’s “Requiem for the Living” next, Maestro.

Thanks again for sharing this.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post