SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    UPDATED Earth, Wind and Fire Experience, anyone seen or heard them? I did!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATED Earth, Wind and Fire Experience, anyone seen or heard them? I did! Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
Was a big fan of the original band since the early days and just found out about this touring band that will come to town in a couple of week to a theater nearby.

I followed EWF until their disco days and attended one of their shows in Belgium during their September Tour. They were impressive and never stopped dancing during the two hours show. Don't expect the current all stars lineup to do as much but wonder if they provide a good show.

First hand experience is more than welcomed.

0-0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 0-0,

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Saw them in concert with Chicago a few years back. Best concert of its genre, I’ve ever been too...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw them about 15 years ago at what was called the Virginia Beach Amphitheater and they were great. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw them about a year ago. Philip Bailey can still sing. They have added some younger guys but all the songs sounded as good as ever.

Posts: 97 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
They were the first concert I went to.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Was a big follower of EWF since 1973 at Lincoln university when they came out on stage with big afro's, clapping hands. Saw them again several times over the years, when they were doing the disappearing acts on stage, the drummers whole platform rising up and revolving while the drummer was still playing. Larry Dunn, the keyboard player doing the same while still playing. Their early concerts middle to late 70's were the best IMHO because of sheer stage production & visuals to go with the music.
Their audience was a melting pot at all their shows. Black, white, asian, Latino. No politics, just great music, great stage presence,and dancing. Their concert theme was always peace, love & togetherness.
After founder & bandleader Maurice White developed Parkinson's Disease and stopped touring with the band in 1995, it just wasn't the same for me. I had the pleasure of meeting Maurice and Verdine his brother/bass player after a concert in the early 80's. Down to earth, nice as can be. Also the fun they show onstage playing is no BS. They always had a ball playing the music.

The last video below is the Earth, Wind & Fire Experience. The group was started by Al McKay who was one of the original guitar players with the original group. They put on a good show, sound great..

But for me, Meh....

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
serpentine fire ! excellent !

I gotta wonder if they play the songs at just a tiny bit slower speed, like a lot of the older bands do?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
serpentine fire ! excellent !

I gotta wonder if they play the songs at just a tiny bit slower speed, like a lot of the older bands do?

Yes, I've seen this at more then one concert I've attended.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always thought this was an E.W. and F hit.
I remember it with brass in it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-GkwIRbLw8

but I remembered it way wrong.

but e.w.and F could do it better , I think

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the real deal back in the 70's . Awesome show . I don't watch any of the repop groups .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Not since the early seventies.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
^^^
What he said...
At the LA Forum in the 70s if I remember correctly Great time Never sat in the seats it was dancing in place the whole 4 hours.. I had Curly hair and a Big old BLONDE AFRO... I Stood out like a Q -Tip in a sea of black Afro's. My Girlfriend didn't mind Wink Thank God there were no cell phones and no pictures of That night!!!

Funny thing is I'm looking at the top of my computer and there is an ORANGE CD I look at it and it's Earth Wind and Fire Essential Plus Disc two... Guess I will put it in and play "September" Serpentine Fire" and BOOOGIE WONDERLAND" with the emotions... LOL

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
My son saw them this past summer in Aspen and he said it was a fantastic concert. Lots of fun and energy.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
They were popular at the high school that I went to. To me their music was okay, though I prefer the music up to their Gratitude album better than their later psychobabble techno Egypto-Babylonian-Roman-Greco-Pre-Columbian-Swahili whatever pop mysticism tripe that they polluted the airwaves with in the latter half of the 70s and into the 80s. Iron Maiden did the whole gratuitous ancient civilization nonsense marketing shit better IMHO, but what did I really know back then?

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I saw them here in town back in the Fall and to be honest... was not overly impressed... music was too loud and the back drop was too funky.... actually too much funk for my taste....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the day.

0-0

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Tomorrow is the day.

0-0

Regardless of my opinion of EWF Experience, please give us a range report after the show. Smile

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Sure will, Cliff. Wink

Managed to convince the spousal unit to follow me on this adventure since the theater is at walking distance from home. She's too young to know the early stuff and not her cup of tea anyways but the latter hits remind her of her younger days. Hoping for lots of that then.

Saw the Vevo videos and noticed the accent on the funk side of things, and the aged sound of the vocalists ...should be interesting. Hoping for the best and some dancing included. The same night there's the national classic soccer duel between Boca and River Plate (both claim to be the most popular team) so that't likely to hurt public attendance. Counting on it to move closer to the stage.

0-0

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: The show was very good. I'm pleased, the spousal unit is pleased so I'm twice happy.

The singers/vocalists are quite efficient. They had the almost full house on their feet and dancing by the third song. The audience covered three generations of fans, all with a good standard of living, some of them with their fancy clothing, others with shorts and flip flops.
Must say I was unfamiliar with 3 or 4 songs, must be slipping or age taking its toll. I had all the albums since the first one to the late 80's once, thirty years ago.
14 musicians on stage. Two keyboard players, one bass player, single drummer - very good one - two trumpets, trombone, sax, percussionist, guitar and three male singers. one musician short... Smile
Their second song was Got to get you into my life and the last was Boogieland. The concert lasted only 1 1/2 hour but I saw McKay telling the bass player he was exhausted by then.
I wished they had included Devotion and Sing a song but it was not to be...
The brass section was solid but they trumpets never had the spot. The trombone had a solo at the begining when they played some of their pre-1975 stuff. The african side of EWF was pretty much skipped in benefit of the funk side of it.
Lead singer is no Bailey but gets kudos for trying. Can say the same for the sax player, no Mirick.
Must say that it's unfair to compare the EWFE to the EWF I saw at the peak of their career in the 80's.

All in all, it was a great date for $80 in tickets. Will do it again in another 30 years.

Thank you all for your reviews and encouraging me to go see them, it was well worth it.

0-0

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Glad you enjoyed it Nicki! I was considering going to my local show. I saw them for the first time around 2008....not that long ago. As I recall, there were a few original members at that time. I thoroughly enjoyed!

I have a concert DVD with them and Chicago playing at the Greek Theater....I believe. It's a good one!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post