SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cop lingo that we learned from the tv shows
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cop lingo that we learned from the tv shows Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I use 10-codes sometimes. Like I'll ask someone what their "10-20" is. I usually get a blank response.

We were specifically prohibited from using 10 codes over the radio in the Forest Service. “Clear language” only.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
How about the horrible official-ese that cops use in TV press conferences or in reports:

"At which time the male suspect egressed the vehicle and proceeded across the parking facility whereupon said suspects entered . . . "

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
How about the horrible official-ese that cops use in TV press conferences or in reports:

"At which time the male suspect egressed the vehicle and proceeded across the parking facility whereupon said suspects entered . . . "

Whenever I had a trainee write gibberish like that, I'd just wanted to Gibbs' slap them. It was especially embarrassing to have something like that read aloud in Court, at a Pre-lim, and watch everyone's eyes glaze over.

I was lucky enough to work in a "progressive" department where they stressed writing in the 1st Person.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Not lingo, but how about all the private vehicle commandeering by cops in those old shows.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
I use 10-codes sometimes. Like I'll ask someone what their "10-20" is. I usually get a blank response.

We were specifically prohibited from using 10 codes over the radio in the Forest Service. “Clear language” only.

Many departments have moved to plain language.

Plain language makes for simpler cooperation among different agencies. And the proliferation of earpieces, as well as encrypted radio channels, has lessened the need for obfuscatory codes.

(Many of the long-time scrotebags, as well as the scanner hounds, already knew the "secret codes" anyway.)

The flip side is that codes can still be handy in some cases for the sake of brevity, and tactically they can be useful in some situations.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Copy that" - after given an unpopular order.

"Rosko" - Detective's hand gun.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
"The virgin Connie Swale".
and
"Connie Swale"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Waffle face

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Huh - I worked for the Douglas Forest Protective Service in southern Oregon the summer after my freshman year at MIT (1967). We had a 31,000 acre fire that season (St. John's Creek fire) and I worked the radios for the Fire Boss with the "Hot Shots" crews, Federal Forest Service guys, Prison crews, and local volunteers as well as the guys from DFPS and other Oregon firefighters. And we used the "10-" codes all the time.

Maybe the Forest Service changed the regs to "Clear language only" after I left???? Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
“Who loves ya, baby!”

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Don't remember which shows used this but "JDLR"

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Diablo Sandwich and a Dr. Pepper

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
"Trust me, I know what I'm do'ing".

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

My wife's department experimented with plain language (mid-1990's), for about a year. They returned to 10-codes.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Nickel Tour/Ride

Railroad Bull

On the job

Toads

Trout Trooper ( I cannot remember if I heard this on tv or read it in a book)

This term came from a movie:
Desk Pop.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Trout Trooper ( I cannot remember if I heard this on tv or read it in a book)

Game Wardens get all the best nicknames. Big Grin

Possum Police
Critter Cop
Trout Trooper
Mullet Marshall
Duck Detective
Squirrel Sheriff
etc.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Rubbers. Rubbers, rubbers, rubbers. Rubbers everywhere.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whats your 20 for a 21? or can you 25?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
From Starskey and Hutch: "It was a salt and pepper duo"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post