SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Cop lingo that we learned from the tv shows
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cop lingo that we learned from the tv shows Login/Join 
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
I learned that only the "patrol fairies" go to roll call and you should, "stay off the rover." Smile

Posts: 4801 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
forth with or fourth with ,
I am gonna go look that up ,

I had never heard it prior to some cop show

and Risoli and Isles cops talk about RNP's or RMP's ,
haven't figured that out yet

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Internal Affairs, IAD, IA
Cold Case
Homicide

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
FREEZE!!!

Perp

Hands in the air, Scumbag!

Rap Sheet.

"This Itralian nose..."

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in the day we called our guns our Roscoe's, called our badges our "buttons". A few years ago I told a young copper that I was going back to my locker to get another Roscoe and I had to explain to him what I was doing. Same thing with the button. I'm going to "button" my way in I told one youngster. He seemed confused.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
"Calling all cars" (probably in disuse now, if it was ever used). APB, or All Points Bulletin.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am gonna go look that up ,

I had never heard it prior to some cop show

and Risoli and Isles cops talk about RNP's or RMP's ,
haven't figured that out yet

RMP= Radio Mobile Patrol= Cop Car in some areas.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Trout Trooper ( I cannot remember if I heard this on tv or read it in a book)

Game Wardens get all the best nicknames. Big Grin

Possum Police
Critter Cop
Trout Trooper
Mullet Marshall
Duck Detective
Squirrel Sheriff
etc.

We call the DEC Officers Fish Cops.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Trout Troopers is so much more alliterative, though. Big Grin

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Adam Henry, but I might not have got that from a tv show

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:

Oh yeah, and Adam 12 taught me "see the man at the store"

"1 Adam-12, see the man, 415 fight group, with chains & knives."

"..see surplus store, corner People's drive and 124th street."

"182 and Bush, I've got him at gunpoint."

Wink

"See the man . . . " was my first thought. I guess we know how old we are.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
That one always bothered me. "Gun shot wound" is 3 syllables. "GSW" is 5. Writing it is ok but saying it is useless.

Never underestimate the appeal of an outsider-excluding acronym. Jargon is irresistible.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Flash the Tin"
Identifying yourself when in plain clothes.
Also used as a tactic to gain free admission to places non cops had to pay to get in.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Back in the day we called our guns our Roscoe's, called our badges our "buttons". A few years ago I told a young copper that I was going back to my locker to get another Roscoe and I had to explain to him what I was doing. Same thing with the button. I'm going to "button" my way in I told one youngster. He seemed confused.

I'm not young by any means...currently on Social Security...but in 28 years in LE, I'd never heard of "button" used that way...might be a East Coast thing.

Out here on the West Coast, we "buzz" our way in

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
The ten codes started going away in the 90's.Most of the ones used on TV programs were agency or state specific.

Got "tuned up" was "lumped up".

We had Frequent flyers....easy to decipher.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Trout Trooper ( I cannot remember if I heard this on tv or read it in a book)

Game Wardens get all the best nicknames. Big Grin

Possum Police
Critter Cop
Trout Trooper
Mullet Marshall
Duck Detective
Squirrel Sheriff
etc.

I once heard USFS rangers called "tree fuzz." Big Grin

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Forest Fuzz fits better with the alliteration theme.

I'll be sure to add that one to my repertoire.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am gonna go look that up

Forthwith means “without delay” or immediately

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2446 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Lotta NYPD in this thread. Most departments have gone to plain language, all there are still some annoying phrases such as "that's clear" and DRT instead of DOA. We used to use a descriptor that was definitely politically correct, and never on the air; real dirtbags were often referred to as "douchenozzles"

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
How about the words for informants:
snitch, stool pigeon, stoolie, fink, etc.

One I learned from British cop shows, I think Endeavour: "grass" is a snitch.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post