SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Marble rye...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marble rye... Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
...Swiss cheese, corned beef, and sauerkraut. Smothered in Thousand Island and grilled to a cheese melting golden brown perfection.

A better sandwich has not been invented.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That's my regions Reuben. And I like it like that.
But they are all good. I even enjoy a Rachel now and then (Turkey, coleslaw, russian or 1,000island).

My father used to take us swimming most weekends and then to Farrell's Ice cream parlor for, well, ice cream. Except he would always get a Reuben. It was my father's sandwich.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Love me some Reuben!!!

I use marbled rye when I can find it. regular rye will work in a pinch.

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor? Oh the memories.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Farrell’s? That the one with all the candy in the entrances?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I thought this was going to be about Seinfeld

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

Posts: 2007 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Try a Reuben burger sometime. I grill hamburger patties and slap them on a bun smothered with Russian dressing and add sauerkraut swiss cheese and onion. Sounds weird I know but try it once and it will become a staple.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'll give that a try Jim. Sounds good.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
And with vegetable beef soup, as garlic toast.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Farrell’s? That the one with all the candy in the entrances?

Yep. Jaw breakers the size of your fist. Lollipops the the size of your head,...

There was a Farrell's over by Sears on 28th. And now the Sears is gone too.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
...Swiss cheese, corned beef, and sauerkraut. Smothered in Thousand Island and grilled to a cheese melting golden brown perfection.

I agree, but a few slices of barbequed brisket on Wonder Bread is a damn fine sandwich, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

I agree, but a few slices of barbequed brisket on Wonder Bread is a damn fine sandwich, too.

A BLT, in summertime, when tomatoes are good, is a strong candidate for best sandwich ever invented. On sourdough or rye.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8919 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Try a Reuben burger sometime. I grill hamburger patties and slap them on a bun smothered with Russian dressing and add sauerkraut swiss cheese and onion. Sounds weird I know but try it once and it will become a staple.

Jim

My club has a Reuben burger that's on marbled rye and the whole thing heated on the flat grill. They call it a Fosterburger in honor of the long ago member who invented it. It's good.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
It's Mardi Gras season on the coast and NOLA. Makes me want a (real) Muffallata.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seeded jewish rye bread ,russian dressing, a side of Culvers coleslaw and a dill pickle and I am in total agreement.

we have them at least once a month,

If I had the energy I would take steps to make it the State sandwich of Iowa

It's been a while but
http://miraclemiledeli.com/
used to make the best in Phoenix

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
It's Mardi Gras season on the coast and NOLA. Makes me want a (real) Muffallata.

I had one Thursday from Central grocery with the wife.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Oh the monster sized reubans at Danzers in Syracuse back in the day when they operated on the north side. Unbelievable. You could only eat a half, packing the second home for later.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:
quote:

I was thinking the same thing! Big Grin

Posts: 1842 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I'll be the odd guy out that does not care for a Reuben,

likely cause I grew up with sailor sammiches,

rye, grilled pastrami, provolone, grilled sliced knockwurst, swiss, spicy mustard on rye
toss in some grilled onions for good measure

all on toasted rye (marbled or regular)

yum

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post