SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Chicken's in the bread pan pickin out dough
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken's in the bread pan pickin out dough Login/Join 
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted
Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no.

Huh? How does this involve the devil fiddlin in Georgia.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chicken's in the bread pan pickin out dough

They are references to old tyme bluegrass/ozark tunes for the fiddle and banjo, there are several variations of CHICKEN IN THE BREAD PAN
as it was changed based on area and whomever was playing the song...

http://tunearch.org/wiki/Grann..._Your_Dog_Bite%3F_(1)

Some Lyrics
Chicken in the bread pan
Scratching out dough,
"Granny, will your dog bite?"
"No, child, no."
"Granny, will your hen peck?"
"No, child, no.
Pappy cut her bill off
A long time ago."

Also found in Brown, Vol. III, #158, "Chicken in the Bread Tray."

All Songs Recorded by John Quincy Wolf, Jr., unless otherwise noted

Granny does your dog bite...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOr2i7aoN3Y

Fire on the Mountain - Bill Monroe

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOlJs3gObkg

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the Red Sox fans...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zWVcIn7Q4Cc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevmo:
For the Red Sox fans...

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no....

A 'coon bit her biter off a long time ago.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I always mis-heard it as "children on the bedpan crappin' outdoors."

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Chicken's in the bread pan pickin out dough

They are references to old tyme bluegrass/ozark tunes for the fiddle and banjo, there are several variations of CHICKEN IN THE BREAD PAN
as it was changed based on area and whomever was playing the song...

Well, that's pretty interesting. Bluegrass is one of those genres that I like but never really spent the time it get to know.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5751 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
One of the things I love about Spotify is how easy it is to dive into music you're not familiar with.

I've listened to a little bluegrass, but would love to hear more. Think I'll do a little exploring via Spotify.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"Fire on the Mountain run boys, run
The devil's in the House of the Rising Sun"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bluegrass and each variation thereof is great. It jams.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I only know Steve Allen's parody, "A Very Square Dance."

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kevmo:
For the Red Sox fans...

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zWVcIn7Q4Cc" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Nice!!! I like that.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
One of the things I love about Spotify is how easy it is to dive into music you're not familiar with.

I've listened to a little bluegrass, but would love to hear more. Think I'll do a little exploring via Spotify.

Del McCoury
Stanley Brothers
Osborne Brothers (not to be confused with the Brothers Osborne)
Doc and Merle Watson
Bill Monroe
Marty Stuart
Ricky Skaggs
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Plus so many newer bands.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Del McCoury
Stanley Brothers
Doc and Merle Watson
Bill Monroe
Marty Stuart
Ricky Skaggs
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Not to thread drift but I'll add a couple more

Flatt & Scruggs
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
Jim & Jesse
Seldom Scene
Rhonda Vincent

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Granny, does your dog bite? No, child, no.

Huh? How does this involve the devil fiddlin in Georgia.

"not my dog" - Peter Sellers

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Iron Horse (covers of non-bluegrass songs in legit bluegrass style, done very well)
The Benders
Nicklecreek
Punch Brothers
Allison Krauss of course.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Different groups over the years, but any group that Tony Rice played with. You can start with J.D. Crowe and the new South ca. 1975, (who also included Ricky Skaggs on fiddle/mandolin, and Gerry Douglas on Dobro).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
So it's basically the hillbilly equivalent of someone singing out "ooh yeah!" in a rock song.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanPatWork:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Del McCoury
Stanley Brothers
Doc and Merle Watson
Bill Monroe
Marty Stuart
Ricky Skaggs
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Not to thread drift but I'll add a couple more

Flatt & Scruggs
Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver
Jim & Jesse
Seldom Scene
Rhonda Vincent

drifting a bit more,,

Doc Watson

David Grisman

and believe it or not,

Jerry Garcia

and many more

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Different groups over the years, but any group that Tony Rice played with. You can start with J.D. Crowe and the new South ca. 1975, (who also included Ricky Skaggs on fiddle/mandolin, and Gerry Douglas on Dobro).

Tony also played with Grisman, I think on the first Dawg music album, and as the Tony Rice Unit,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post