SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite Historical Biographies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Historical Biographies Login/Join 
posted
I am just starting Grant by Chernow. What other biographies of historical figures can you suggest? Thanks

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Off the top of my head:

David McCullough books - Mornings on Horseback (Theodore Roosevelt), Truman, John Adams, The Wright Brothers

Ron Chernow - Alexander Hamilton, Washington: A Life

Dava Sobel - Galileo's Daughter, A More Perfect Heaven (Copernicus)

Martin Gilbert - Churchill: A Life

The Multivolume set Biography of Churchill

Benjamin Franklin: An American Life by Walter Isaacson

Genius: The Life and Science of Richard Feynman by James Gleick

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Manchester's Churchill biography is excellent, but unfortunately he didn't write the third of three volumes before he died.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Daniel Boone by John Mack Faragher
Napolean by Andrew Roberts

Posts: 780 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burt Munro Indian Legend of Speed by George Begg
One Good Run, The Legend of Burt Munro by Tim Hanna

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Two from Bob Coram. “Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War,” and “Double Ace,” Coram’s biography of Col. Robert L Scott, author of the famous “God is My Co-Pilot.”

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Frontersman, tells the true story of Simon Kenton who lived in NW and W Central Ohio Territory in the early 17 hundreds. He actually saved Daniel Boones life once. You can get a copy at Amazon.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
American Soldier - Tommy Franks
My War - Andy Rooney
Theodore Roosevelt, A Life - Nathan Miller

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Destiny of the Republic:A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard. Interesting novel about the brief presidency of James Garfield.

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Manchester's Churchill biography is excellent, but unfortunately he didn't write the third of three volumes before he died.

In addition, I really enjoyed Manchester's biography of MacArthur.

Bruce Catton's biography of Grant is outstanding.

I haven't read them yet, but Robert Caro's multi-volume biography of Lyndon Johnson is supposed to be good.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6370 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post