SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    How I spent my Spring vacation: reading science fiction
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I spent my Spring vacation: reading science fiction Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'll put in a plug of James P. Hogan's "Operation Proteus". Americans, NAZIs, and time travel--great fun.

And, of course, Robert A. Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" (forget about the movie--it was crap, even if it did have the biggest muzzle flash count).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Thanks all for your recommendations.
I finished the two-part Heorot series today—unexpected ending!
Greg, thanks for the Mars recommendations. I don’t believe I’ve read those.

There’s a third one out Starborn and Godsons. Just FYI. Haven’t read it yet but it’s on my “to do” list.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I saw that but the authors are different. Might look into it.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
uber-geek
Picture of rwdflynavy
posted Hide Post
The Time Wars series by Simon Hawke was a lot of fun.

Follows a group of Time Commandos who travel back to try to stop time terrorists looking to split the time stream. Lots of history and fighting.

Looks like they may be free to read if you are an Amazon Kindle Unlimited subscriber as well.

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them." ~George Mason

chartprepping.com Retirement Planning and Random Musings from a Military Perspective

Posts: 3391 | Location: Big Lick Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I saw that but the authors are different. Might look into it.

Huh? Niven, Pournelle, and Barnes different?

Starborn and Godsons

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try William Gibson's Neuromancer (1984) for a change of pace. Iain Banks is another author you might try. I first read Use of Weapons, but his other books are excellent as well.

Posts: 693 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
if you want some Sci Fi, with a lot of English Humor,

and a relatively quick read,

the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is mighty fine,

the Dirk Gently series not bad, (the TV show is ok as well, but really odd)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Loswsmith—my mistake, somehow just saw the Barnes name which is different.

Greg—loving Red Mars! Listening to it on Audible at night.

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the Hogan Book I mentioned is actually called "The Proteus Operation". Still a good read.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I'm going to reread Foundation...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I'm going to reread Foundation...

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xgbPSA94Rqg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

as will I,

glad to see someone decided to do this,

hope they don't fuk it up

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post