SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Atlas Shrugged films
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atlas Shrugged films Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I see Amazon finally has all 3 movies available on Prime. Is it worth watching?

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I see Amazon finally has all 3 movies available on Prime. Is it worth watching?
Yeah, they're decent. Keep in mind they didn't use the same actors across all the films.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've seen the first two twice and the third never. Dunno why not.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
IMO, the films got progressively worse as the trilogy proceeded.

That said, I found the soundtrack from the first installment enjoyable and snagged a few tracks via iTunes.

FWIW, I’m a huge fan of the book.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I love the book, but I found the films just awful.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I liked them.

Posts: 11506 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Well they certain used the discount cast in the second movie. A whole cavalcade of "that guy"s and "I haven't seen him in years". Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
I love the book, but I found the films just awful.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Uh yeah... that wasn't good. The last one was pretty bad. I give them credit for at least finishing it, the budget obviously shrunk with each movie.

Story wise, that was pretty disappointing. I'm still trying to figure how that story arc could take three movies and still have the ending feel so abrupt and rushed,like they ended prematurely because they were running out of film. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
Part 1 was alright
Part 2 was noticeably less alright
Part 3 was an abomination and painful to watch

I think Netflix or Amazon Prime would be the right platform. A 10-episode season would probably be enough to do it right. Unfortunately, the Hollywood types with the skill to pull it off would most likely empathize with the villains and have a hard time producing something that so effectively dismantles their ideology.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I've seen the first two twice and the third never. Dunno why not.

Yeah, me neither. Despite the poor reviews here, I'll probably re watch 1&2 and then 3.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Part 1 was okay, I think they went way downhill after that.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are hating it because you expected a masterpiece movie from a masterpiece book. These things rarely translate to different mediums. Just like Dune.

I believe the goal was to get the story out to those that would never read a 1000+ page, tiny print book. I believe that was accomplished.

I didn't think part 3 was that terrible.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Salty Dawg:
Part 1 was alright
Part 2 was noticeably less alright
Part 3 was an abomination and painful to watch

I think Netflix or Amazon Prime would be the right platform. A 10-episode season would probably be enough to do it right. Unfortunately, the Hollywood types with the skill to pull it off would most likely empathize with the villains and have a hard time producing something that so effectively dismantles their ideology.

That sums it up very well.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
They should have updated them, the whole railroads-rule-the-world thing just doesn't work anymore in our day and age.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
They failed miserably even when you cut them some slack for movies based on books being bad.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
They should have updated them, the whole railroads-rule-the-world thing just doesn't work anymore in our day and age.

Check the headlines. According to Ocasio-Cortez they do/should.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post