SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    They Are Billions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They Are Billions Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Do you like RTS games?

Do you like Steampunk?

Do you like massive zombie hordes?

Well, then They Are Billions is for you.

It's "early access," but very playable. Old school RTS with a scale that is bigger than anything I've seen, and capable of incredible resolution.

Even on its lowest difficulty, one mistake can cost you your colony.

I'm sure some things will change before the final release, more game modes certainly.

It's engrossing and unforgiving, if you like that sort of thing.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The lowered the requirements to advance to the next map. Before, it was 100% difficulty. Now's it's 20/60/100. A lot more forgiving. The veterancy for units is really nice, too. It was such a pain trying to manage a force before the change. They still have a ways to go before the game becomes truly intuitive. Right now, I hate the camera controls and lack of explanation of keyboard commands. There's a way to bring up unit/zombie health that's not explained anywhere in the game, which I imagine would be infuriating to those who want to see things like that.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Unit controls, building placement is wonky. These things I'm willing to forgive for "early access."

Health bars in this game.. meh. Especially a horde with health bars, that would be silly.

Of course it needs fine tuning, but it's a great game already. I also suck at it, but I'm learning.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
What issues are you having with unit control and building placement? It's incredibly simple.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
For some reason it won't let me make rows, with no obstructions, but not all the time. Could be I'm herping the derp.

Arc.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Well, you've probably already determined this, but it forces a space between rows of cottages to allow the citizens a space to walk. Once you get the spacing for the cottages down, everything else can be placed accordingly. My gripe about building placement is the way it forces you to separate mills.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
My gripe about building placement is the way it forces you to separate mills.

Mills, hunting cottages, fishing docks.

Arc.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
SO twice now I've made it to day 90ish on the second map and a horde shows up and the game didn't announce it. I'm so fucking pissed right now. Mad

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Finally beat the second map. On to the third.

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post