SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mary Tyler Moore Show : Chuckles the Clown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mary Tyler Moore Show : Chuckles the Clown Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Great classic TV

Posts: 107571 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
When I saw the title "Chuckles the Clown" it seemed to ring a bell, but when I watched the episode it didn't.

More than likely I saw it when it aired back in the day.

Mary Tyler Moore setup the ending so well with her seriousness about not making jokes about Chuckles. Then she pulled off the punchline perfectly at the funeral.

Great stuff!

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
That's Moriarty! I always figured he'd end up in radio after the war.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Ted Baxter is still my favorite numbskull in TV history.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Ted made a great buffoon. Many shows need them. You can usually tell how good of a job they're doing by how many people you meet that hate 'em. I recall a few people that would not watch Seinfeld almost solely because of Jason Alexander. I've tried to get my wife to appreciate the scene where Lou has to tell Ted that he can't do his commercials anymore. Said he'd 'push his face in'. Ted said he'd call the police. 'Be too late' Lou said, 'your face'd already be pushed in. You ever tried reading to news with a pushed in face, Ted?' One of my favorite scenes of all time.
She really couldn't enjoy it "because she just could never like Ted Knight" she said.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories of many laughs.
I think they got an Emmy for the Chuckles episode.
Also loved 2 other characters:
Georgette, Ted’s girl friend; and Phyllis, played by Clovis Leachman as the supercilious wife of a dentist, IIRC.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
para, this is the second video you've posted that for some reason, I can't watch. Looks like it's trying, but won't play. I'm using safari on a Mac laptop. Any ideas?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
6guns, it plays fine on my MacBook Pro running Catalina. Problem with Flash perhaps??

Check this out:
Link: Fixing Flash video problems on Mac

OOOO K, saw this just below what I just posted, proving me no expert:

quote:
Note: YouTube does not use Flash and you should not have any problem Playing YouTube Videos on Mac using either Safari or Chrome Browsers.

If there is problem playing YouTube Videos, make sure that you have the latest version of Safari and Chrome Browsers installed on your Mac.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's not a youtube video. It's from BitChute

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I guess BitChute causes me issues...

Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That was really good.

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten just how good that show was.

Thanks for the reminder! Smile

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
This is a great episode and reminder of how good tv programming once was. Just watched a episode of Wanted Dead or Alive with Mary Tyler Moore playing a saloon girl. She couldn't have been more than 17.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The Mary Tyler Moore Show was paired up with The Bob Newhart Show. I think Moore was at the top of the hour and then Newhart followed at the half hour. They aired on CBS. Tuesdays nights, I think. I watched these shows in my bedroom on my little 9" black and white TV. These two shows are some of my most favorite TV ever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually Saturday nights. In our household, that was the big TV night of the week, with All in the Family, The Jeffersons, MTM Show, and Bob Newhart.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
One of the best episodes of TV ever, and it still stands up today. Thanks for posting.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post