SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mummy - Dead on Arrival - save your time and money
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mummy - Dead on Arrival - save your time and money Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
Saw it today. Weak ending. I think it was a chance for Tom Cruise to show his body. Not sure if it was cgi or steroids.

The sad part is: it looks like they set up the movie to be the first of the franchise. I don't think so.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Saw it today. Weak ending. I think it was a chance for Tom Cruise to show his body. Not sure if it was cgi or steroids.

The sad part is: it looks like they set up the movie to be the first of the franchise. I don't think so.

Not the first.

Universal was hoping to revive all of their monster movies...Dracula Untold was the first of this attempt (IIRC).

The Mummy was always my favorite, so this is a bit disappointing...but not terribly surprising.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Another movie re-make that sucked?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't pay to see it because of Tom Cruise.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I actually liked Dracula untold, was hoping they would make a sequel. The mummy was just ok, maybe a 6/10. The mrs and her sister just had to see it, we should've saw wonder woman instead.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Last good Tom Cruise movie?

**crickets**

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:

**crickets**

Edge of Tomorrow, but then I generally like his movies (stupid ol' unsophisticated me).

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

**crickets**

Edge of Tomorrow, but then I generally like his movies (stupid ol' unsophisticated me).

I actually had that movie in my head when I posted and I agree with you.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

**crickets**

He's still probably top 5, or top 3, of the safest bets in Hollywood to star in a movie that's going to be reasonably enjoyable and successful, IMO.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
We saw it. Thought it was okay.

Couple weird quirks. But I usually suspend belief and just try to enjoy a movie.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night with out having read a review. Life is hard, its even harder when you are too stupid to see where you $30 bucks is going.

Ghastly movie on any standard.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
I wouldn't pay to see it because of Tom Cruise.

This, Tom Cruise started his career as typecast. His character is most always an asshole.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I used to say if you've ever seen a movie where Tom Cruise gets mad, goes on a rant, and shouts then you've seen them all. In that respect, i think Tom Cruise has improved. Edge of Tomorrow was good, the movie where the quote "You can't handle the truth" was good, even though that still contained a scene where Tom goes on a rant.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I won't be watching this. I did like Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree it is a disappointment. But the co-star, Annabelle Wallis, is good, although I doubt the film with do much for her career in the U.S.

This film is similar to the re-make of Point Break. It is in English a groaner, but it is a highly visual narrative with light dialogue and utterly devoid of any point of view.

It will play well in China, and China is now the largest film market in the world. Sometimes this sort of thing works, as with George Miller's last Mad Max film. But usually it does not, or it just seems sucky to our American sensibilities.

Posts: 774 | Registered: June 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
quote:

**crickets**

He's still probably top 5, or top 3, of the safest bets in Hollywood to star in a movie that's going to be reasonably enjoyable and successful, IMO.

That's a couple of stinkers in a row, though.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Collateral was the last thing I thought he did well.
And who thought casting him as Jack Reacher was a good thing?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I liked Jack Reacher. Still haven't seen the second one, but I thought the first one was a pretty good movie.

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
When I heard this about this project I knew there was no way it would be as good as the last Mummy. Brendon Fraser brought a certain whimsical fun to the character. Cruise is neither whimsical or fun.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I agree that Collateral was pretty good, but in my view, it wasn't much because of Cruise.

Cruise is a competent actor, not much more. He doesn't have much range. Plus, he is a dwarf and a whacky Scientologist.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post