Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apocalypto Login/Join 
posted
I can't decide if this is a great movie or a terrible one...

What think you all?

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, it's memorable for me only because of a funny reference to Dustin Hoffman's famous line in Midnght Cowboy.

I wouldn't call it terrible, but I would not call it a great movie. It is most certainy not a great movie.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107566 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sucked.JMHO. Mel Gibson makes some great movies this was not one of them. My favorite of his movies is The Year of Living Dangerously. Directed by Peter Weir one of my favorite Aussie directors.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a video breakdown, I'll have to find it. Basically, the movie is very immersive into the Yucatan culture and world: props, language, actors appearances, costuming, really amazing...and that's it. It's not horrible, however its a movie to point-out that all these Meso-American cultures weren't happy, nice, honorable, noble cultures that historical apologists like to paint but, highly predatory, ascribing to a violent and vicious religion.

edit

This message has been edited. Last edited by: corsair,

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I liked it. Not a great movie, but it was good.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Ok, but not great.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Not great but I enjoyed it.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am ambivalent about it too. I will say that whoever did the makeup and costuming was highly talented.
It seemed the credits rolled on for 10-15 minutes!

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 687 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The apocalypse wasn't the massive sacrifices, it was the small pox delivered by the ships off shore.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
From a historical/anthropological standpoint, it was interesting, mainly because there's not much out there set in pre-Columbian Mesoamerica. But as a film, it was so-so.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Reminded me of The Naked Prey.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm walking here."

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn’t care for it. Watched it once, and have no desire to see it again. Basically first half is people being horrible to each other followed by the second half being a long chase scene. It may be historically accurate, but it’s not that enjoyable to watch.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I have the DVD. It's been a while since I've watched it, but I remember it being pretty intense. I liked it.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, like this movie. Good story, good acting, and interesting history brought to life. All in all I thought it was well done.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. It was well done and the costume and makeup department really did their part.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15572 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've watched it a few times from beginning to end, and caught parts of it here and there,

not great, not the worst, better than meh,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I like that it is a concise story about, basically a day or two. I like the constraint to bu not try to tell some big story about everything about the people or the time period. And I like the ending.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I watched it when it first came out. I thought it was good but not great. Not something I care to watch a second time.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post