SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I saw it. I'm not an Alien Fan boy. I can barely remember he original movies. I was moderately entertained. One thing that was annoying was what 1000 years into the future humans are still using AR's and Go-Pro Hero 4's?

I thought it was around 100 years.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3584 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw it. I'm not an Alien Fan boy. I can barely remember he original movies. I was moderately entertained. One thing that was annoying was what 1000 years into the future humans are still using AR's and Go-Pro Hero 4's?

If you watch the video that Orguss posted with Aliens armorist John Bowring (interesting guy, btw, I could listen to that guy all evening), he made conscious steering for the weaponry of Covenant to be a bridge between the advanced-tech pulse rifles of Aliens and the intermediate juxtaposition of the current film, more advanced than what we have today but still the same basic technology.

I saw the film yesterday, btw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
If memory serves, the date at the beginning says year 2104 unless i'm mixed up with another recent movie i watched.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup 2104

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
quote:

I thought it was around 100 years.

That's what I meant. The extra zero was an accident. 100 years for a camera seems excessive. The gun I can almost buy as be 1911 is still popular today.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
The planet Earth is a perfect environment for human life, yet people still get inoculations when traveling to other countries and wear quarantine suits when dealing with deadly infectious diseases like Ebola.

This x4 MILLION. In fact, if I could get a genuine 100% guarantee that if I survived exposure to ebola I would never have allergies EVER AGAIN, I would gladly take it.

As far as the movie, I liked it. No, it's not as good as Alien or Aliens, but why does it have to be? I know others not on this board have whined that the creation of the Alien is all wrong and jokingly violates canon (which if you are throwing the comics in also includes horseshit like an Alien King...), but that's pure bollocks because it is an evolution of what the Engineer's made. When they do the next movie, we'll probably get a queen.

The only two things I thought were stupid that couldn't be attributed to ignorance or extreme stress is a colony ship doesn't have drones to chart the planet? Couldn't they also wait until the storm passes before sending down a lander? However, neither issue breaks the plot. I did love the ending, but I'm not sure This can support 2 more movies. One for sure, and there have to be more Engineers out there that are rather upset with David.

On something else altogether, I used my new Omega chrono to discover on the non-IMAX cut of the movie, it was exactly 24 minutes, 16 seconds from the movie start time to get through all the commercials, trailers, and AMC shit before the movie actually started. I always wondered that. I'm going to start doing that every movie I see.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How can you call the Alien King bullshit? It was a creation of man, as well. (Unless there's a version other than the one in Aliens: Rogue...)

As you may remember from the movie, David explains to the landing team that the storms last for weeks and months. Not that they would have known that upon approaching the planet; however, I did wonder why they wouldn't have charted a descent course around or between the storms. There were obvious calm areas visible from orbit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Orguss,

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Spoilers to follow

Saw AC last night and liked it - but a few confused points:
- OK - David created the "Alien/egg/face-sucker----got that. But several timeline conflicts....
1. In Alien - egg peels back - face sucker clamps on - worm Alien erupts from chest- and molts/grows a few times to become ALIEN
2. But in AC - face sucker goes straight to mini-me Alien erupting from the chest??
3. And, if David created the egg/face sucker/Alien - how do the hundreds of eggs get on the fossilized Engineer ship in the original Alien that supposedly takes place two decades after Covenant in 2122?

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I specifically left out your third point because we have yet to see the next two movies in Ridley Scott's prequel series. I have to assume that David creates a Queen in one of those two follow-up movies. It would have been a nice touch to see one of the two Alien facehugger embryos showing the spikes that denote a Queen-spawner.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can you call the Alien King bullshit? It was a creation of man, as well. (Unless there's a version other than the one in Aliens: Rogue...)

The "tame" Alien Queen that some crackpot scientist cooks up on his own without any real advanced technology? I'm cool with David refining what the Engineer's made because he's using their technology. Rogue took place a little after Aliens where humans had little to no info on the Xenos. It's a little more believable in Resurrection after 100 years of trying to recreate the Xenos.

quote:
As you may remember from the movie, David explains to the landing team that the storms last for weeks and months. Not that they would have known that upon approaching the planet; however, I did wonder why they wouldn't have charted a descent course around or between the storms. There were obvious calm areas visible from orbit.

It's a nitpick for a reason. It doesn't break anything, but a throwaway line like, "We've been here for hours and that storm isn't leaving. We're gonna have to go through it to find the signal source." would have been nice instead of flying through a giant storm without thinking of a Plan B.

quote:
2. But in AC - face sucker goes straight to mini-me Alien erupting from the chest??

They didn't give a time table for how long David stayed in the egg chamber and the rest of the crew were on the roof trying to get a signal and a rescue ship. By that point there wasn't a go between to tell them something bad had happened. The chestburster in Aliens was also larger than the one in Alien and more articulate.

quote:
3. And, if David created the egg/face sucker/Alien - how do the hundreds of eggs get on the fossilized Engineer ship in the original Alien that supposedly takes place two decades after Covenant in 2122?

Still not sure what will happen in the next movie or two, but David has about 3,000 or so test subjects to make a Queen and/or a bunch of eggs when they get to the next planet. There also has to be at least one Engineer/Space Jockey in a boneship somewhere that probably doesn't like David that much.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

It's a nitpick for a reason. It doesn't break anything, but a throwaway line like, "We've been here for hours and that storm isn't leaving. We're gonna have to go through it to find the signal source." would have been nice instead of flying through a giant storm without thinking of a Plan B.

Perhaps it's Ridley's way of showing that the crew is reckless, leading them to venture onto the planet's surface without environment suits and other bonehead mistakes like not noticing the physical differences between Walter and David.

quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:

Still not sure what will happen in the next movie or two, but David has about 3,000 or so test subjects to make a Queen and/or a bunch of eggs when they get to the next planet. There also has to be at least one Engineer/Space Jockey in a boneship somewhere that probably doesn't like David that much.

It's just 2000 colonists. Wink

Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's just 2000 colonists. Wink

AND 1134 (or such) embryos..................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Dammit! I forgot about them.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Saw it today. Entertainment Value = 9.5/10

I thought it was a good sequel to Prometheus (which I watched yesterday) and further explained the metamorphosis of the xenomorphs and face-hugger pods to their more recognizable forms as seen in the original Aliens. I look forward to the next 2 sequels/prequels that will hopefully tie up all the loose ends leading up to the Nostromo's diversion to LV-426, the discovery of the Engineers' shipwreck, and the demise of Capt. Dallas' ill-fated crew.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I asked my buddy to describe and review it and he said Alien Covenant is like being trapped in a room for two hours with a drunken Ridley Scott while he keeps trying to explain why Prometheus was a good movie.

I'll wait for it to show up on Netflix.

-Tom

I just watched it on Blu-Ray. Meh. Prometheus was really great and this went downhill. Some good acting by Fassbender and Waterson, but otherwise pretty lame. Not a fan of the exact same plot, blowing shit out the airlock, etc. So glad I didn't go to the theater.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I finally got to see it on Netflix and thought it was okay, certainly better than Prometheus. This script had a bunch of supposedly smart people doing some very stupid things. Disappointing.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSW:
I finally got to see it on Netflix and thought it was okay, certainly better than Prometheus.

Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSW:
I finally got to see it on Netflix and thought it was okay, certainly better than Prometheus. This script had a bunch of supposedly smart people doing some very stupid things. Disappointing.

Do you still get Netflix DVD’s? Cause it’s not on Netflix steaming here in the US.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you still get Netflix DVD’s? Cause it’s not on Netflix steaming here in the US.

Yes, they have it DVD.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Replacement Tommel:
I'll wait for it to show up on Netflix.
-Tom

Well, it's shown up on HBO. I'm currently watching it now.