SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus Login/Join 
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
the floor of the med bay was absolutely stupid. don't want to say more and spoil it

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
SPOILERS ALERT:
What possesses a crew to visit a strange new world and not use environmental suits when first stepping foot onto it? This plot device is used to get the crew into trouble and it absolutely stinks.

Why didn't Daniels pick up on the fact that she was repairing the damage not to Walter's face but to David's? The director makes a specific point of showing how quickly Walter's wounds heal. Presumably, the crew would also be aware of that feature. So why wouldn't she take a moment to wonder why she was stapling "Walter's" face together? I picked up on that immediately. You could also see that it was David when they are escaping the planet on the cargo platform and he's applying first aid to Lope's face. He's too rough in doing it, as if he'd rather break Lope's neck.

How does David know all of the procedures and security codes Walter used to interact with Mother? Are we supposed to believe he had time to switch clothes, mutilate himself, and download Walter's matrix into his own in the space of time it took for Lope and Daniels to run outside? David follows after them almost immediately afterward.

Knowing that this is only the second of the four movies that lead up to Alien, we have to be patient to receive any more answers regarding David's plans. But the ones I mentioned above are specific to Covenant.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, it would mean no drama, therefore no movie but it drives me crazy when any movie has people walking around on alien planets without an environmental suit. It's just stupid and to make it worse they handle the native fauna like they're in their own backyard.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
-----------SPOILER------------

I read the plot in full this weekend. I thought we'd get a film with Shaw discussing something with the creators/Engineers. Seeing how they live, communicating with them, learning something, anything. Going to their planet.

What I ended up reading instead, was a rogue android going schizo. Gee where have we seen that story before? Sounds like regurgitated shit. Prometheus was something new and fresh that could have really went somewhere with the engineers. A fascinating, to me, concept, that was exciting to see with Prometheus. As the film ended and the Engineer ship was set to to go to their home world, exploration to get answers to the human race. Cue this film and Aliens reboot. I guess I'll see it in 3-4 months on disc. Bye Felicia.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Nothing in your post save the part about a rogue android is correct. It may not have been satisfying for us, but you should try actually watching the movie before passing judgement.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

What possesses a crew to visit a strange new world and not use environmental suits when first stepping foot onto it?

THIS times one million! Why in the name of all that is sane would anyone step off onto a new planet without any sort of environmental suit? That is the lamest kind of plot device, because it forces us to believe the folks chosen to seed a new planet are complete and utter morons....

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 568 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
I asked my buddy to describe and review it and he said Alien Covenant is like being trapped in a room for two hours with a drunken Ridley Scott while he keeps trying to explain why Prometheus was a good movie.

I'll wait for it to show up on Netflix.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rkentm:
quote:

What possesses a crew to visit a strange new world and not use environmental suits when first stepping foot onto it?

THIS times one million! Why in the name of all that is sane would anyone step off onto a new planet without any sort of environmental suit? That is the lamest kind of plot device, because it forces us to believe the folks chosen to seed a new planet are complete and utter morons....

My son (who is a fan of A.C. and Prometheus) talked about this and we both agreed that the crews seem to make stupid-ass decisions similar to the Walking Dead characters.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16613 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
spoiler...
David is shorter than Walter... not sure how they did that cinematically (made Fassbender stand on something when shooting the scenes?).

That said, why didn't they notice that during the last scene!

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I agree seems silly but didn't they "scan" the planet and it showed to be a perfect environment for human life.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nothing in your post save the part about a rogue android is correct. It may not have been satisfying for us, but you should try actually watching the movie before passing judgement.

I guess this plot was all wrong then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Covenant

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
I agree seems silly but didn't they "scan" the planet and it showed to be a perfect environment for human life.

The planet Earth is a perfect environment for human life, yet people still get inoculations when traveling to other countries and wear quarantine suits when dealing with deadly infectious diseases like Ebola.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

The planet Earth is a perfect environment for human life, yet people still get inoculations when traveling to other countries and wear quarantine suits when dealing with deadly infectious diseases like Ebola.

Touché but we are talking about a movie where a cyborg creates murderous aliens Big Grin

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
.....Spoilers Again............

Okay, so I watched it after work tonight. I was mildly entertained. Although the action was not nearly enough and the story took too long. I was glad they did away with some of the stuff from the prologue trailers. For instance, Franco and the Lesbian couple. IIRC the trailers made it seem that David's creation was actually Walter.

Aside from all that I'm not sure how I feel about no more being added to the Engineers story (other than ScorpionBoy hitting the nail on the head on page 1 of this thread). That being said I'm not really a fan of the new story from Prometheus onward. When I watched the original Alien and Aliens it told me that in space there is shit that we can't imagine, shit that evolves on it's own and is scary as hell. Why then do we somehow have to connect that evil shit as being because of humans? Maybe a stretch to say it's because of humans. But let's face it, Engineers make humans, then they make the black goo monsters to kill humans, but they fail and an android created by humans then decides to work on perfecting the black goo monster to kill humans because humans suck. It's just all to stupid a story. More likely would be that there are other humanoid species like the Engineers and they also happened upon the zenomorph eggs on a planet they were just exploring or mining.

Oh and lastly the David/Walter switch would have been more of a surprise if they didn't actually switch. Just stupid. Reminiscent of Charlize Theron with her Luke Skywalker "Father" moment, like it was some sort of a surprise.

quote:
Originally posted by ScorpionBoy:
my guess is David does not wake up Shaw. David does drop the pathogen on the engineers and wipes them out. Then Covenant eventually arrives on scene. Big Grin

Winner Winner Neomorph Dinner.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12407 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I liked it. It had some pacing problems and some fairly obvious twists, but it's my third favorite in the franchise and the effects were for the most part very well done.

And Walter is taller than David because Walter is wearing boots and David is barefoot. Micheal Fassbender is excellent. Never trust an android with a British Accent.

And we FINALLY get to see someone nuke the site from (not quite) orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:...
Winner Winner Neomorph Dinner.

You'll get a tummy ache...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Generally, I enjoyed this film. I like Ridley Scott's work, and it's very stylish and atmospheric like his other projects. I appreciated the dark rated-R serious tone in this day and age of lightweight inoffensive PG-13 films. I felt the same way about Prometheus. And, I really liked lead actress Katherine Waterston. I found her quite captivating.

I did think Prometheus had more interesting things to say and show. Covenant is a pretty base monster movie - there's nothing as freaky as Noomi Rapace self-aborting an alien with a robot machine. I'm also a horror movie fan but not much of a pure sci-fi fan, so I don't really care for this elaborate backstory and mythos to the alien creations. It feels like comic books that create numerous spin-off titles where they have to keep adding needlessly complicated histories and side stories just to have something to tell.

The CGI is impressive, but you can still tell the creatures are cartoons. I miss the practical effects like the 1979 chestbuster. Also, Ridley Scott is a visionary director, but I do miss the dirty nitty-gritty and crowd-pleasing badassness of James Cameron's Aliens. Covenant is very much "Mother, prepare launch sequence. Launch. Here we go" vs. Aliens "Pre-launch auto-cycle engaged. Primary couplers released. Hit the internals. Confirm cross-lock and drop stations secure. Standby ten seconds. Stand by to initiate release sequencers on my mark. Switch to DCS ranging 240 nominal to profile." I dig that kind of stuff in films.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I saw it yesterday. I guess I missed the last movie prior to this? The last movie I remember was a group going to a planet and finding the founders/engineers and getting a playback of how the engineers would drop something in the water to seed the planet with people.

In any case, this movie was very much like the first aliens movie for me. I went to sleep shortly after the flair, caught bits and pieces and only fully woke up after the first infection. i missed how the first two got infected. I also slept through the first aliens the first 3 times I saw it.

Spoilers:

I hate that the woman would lock up the first person with an innocent in quarantine then open the quarantine when the monster is out.

I also hate that the captain would follow the droid's statement that he should look into the pod; this is after the captain blows the alien he saw that was dancing with David.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I think I'd like to forget I just watched this movie.
The visuals are impressive maybe for the first half of the film, then they dissolve into non interesting...
Music is meh! at best.
The story...uninspired and uninspiring.

Riddley, are you getting bored and boring? Bet you can do much, much better. If you try,

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I saw it. I'm not an Alien Fan boy. I can barely remember he original movies. I was moderately entertained. One thing that was annoying was what 1000 years into the future humans are still using AR's and Go-Pro Hero 4's?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post