SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Aliens: Covenant clip: Shows Shaw and a brief prologue to Prometheus Login/Join 
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted
I am one of the few that really liked the story of the 'engineers' and the movie. I loved the technology of the prometheus and hated to see its destruction. I did like that shaw was going to find them, and was disappointed that she was left out of the movie, but then she wasn't and they are possibly making the movies out of order, then there is this new clip. And I have no idea what is going on.
But I am pleased they did at least this much.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my guess is David does not wake up Shaw. David does drop the pathogen on the engineers and wipes them out. Then Covenant eventually arrives on scene. Big Grin

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
What is going on is that despite what happened in Prometheus, Shaw is still at least hopeful about meeting her creators. She displays great human compassion by rebuilding David, who then freezes her for the trip to the Engineer home world. David, being the inhuman and somewhat obsessive machine that he is, spends the time studying Engineer tech and plotting. Upon arrival, he doesn't wake Shaw and instead nukes the site from (not quite) orbit with the pods of biowrapon stored on the ship and originally intended for Earth. It's the only way to be sure.

David will be our primary villain and responsible for the development of the xenomorph we all know and love.

Shaw will likely never come out of that hypersleep capsule intact and will instead be Grendel's mother.

And that's just the first few minutes of the film...

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Or David, who spent his time studying the Engineers, realized they were evil bunch of asshats that weren't creators, but destroyers instead, and decides to do unto to them before they do unto to others.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Oh, the Engineers are asshats, and deserve what they get, but David isn't too fond of humans either...

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
Oh, the Engineers are asshats, and deserve what they get, but David isn't too fond of humans either...

Well to be fair to David, most of his existence and programming was centered around Peter Weyland (we can safely classify him as a true asshat, second only to the engineers in the universe). Now he has bee exposed to Shaw, who showed him decency when she didn't have to.

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I think Shaw will somehow become a xeno queen. With David's experimentation and his new found "compassion".

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
And David is in the new movie trailer. How does he get back? And frick me I'll never let him serve me a drink.
"...And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Fassbender is playing 2 roles in Covenent. David is the android from Prometheus, complete with some "kill all humans" in his basic operating system and Walter is the android on Covenent. Surely those two will never get mixed up at any point leading to calamity for our new settlers...

And the scene of him getting ready to rain death down on the Engineers is some epic badass.

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Danny McBride is in it? Oh I'm all in now. Love that guy.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I think I'd prefer to see the horror movie version starring McBride and company rather than the philosphical garbage that is the David and Shaw dynamic duo.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I will see both. And love both. I just have no idea why Scott is apparently filming them out of order

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You do realize it's the same movie. Just different storylines. It's interesting to note that Noomi Rapace is uncredited for reprising her role as Shaw in this movie.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Adam Savage (Mythbusters) has a couple of videos where he goes on-set of the Covenant production. I won't post the first cuz it's pretty boring, but here's one that discusses the weapons and blood effects used in the movie:

https://youtu.be/nhJQSUwcHEs

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else seen it yet? I liked it but I also liked Prometheus.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw it. Parts very clever and well-done. But...mostly a muddled mess. Worth watching on the big screen, but another missed opportunity.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Saw it yesterday.

IMO, a better film that Prometheus, Scott went back to the first Alien for overall tone, mixed with the Prometheus storyline. I enjoyed it, yet there were plot holes galore. I agree, another missed opportunity for a great film, and Ridley Scott is running out of time...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I agree about plot holes but supposedly there will be two more films in franchise, both prequels to alien.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw it. Very entertaining. I give it 7.5 out of 10.

Some purists might quibble about this or that - but it's a decent addition to the line. It has action, bloody alien gore, decent but not overpowering FX, solid acting.

Obviously suspension of disbelief is critical. As is space explorers doing things that are stupid: splitting up, going into the darkness, not putting 2+2 together quickly enough, etc.

You have to set that aside and be entertained. Overall I liked it.

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post