SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "SEAL Team"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"SEAL Team" Login/Join 
posted
Looking at the list of weapons used in the show, the P226/Mk 25 is not listed. Guess it's a Glock world?

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/SEAL_Team_-_Season_2

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The real teams still have P226s in inventory. They also have G19s in inventory.

Inside sources say that SOCOM is going to be swapping pistols again mid next year.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Inside sources say that SOCOM is going to be swapping pistols again mid next year.

Do they “swap” pistols? I thought SOCOM allowed their personal to choose what they carried.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

Do they “swap” pistols? I thought SOCOM allowed their personal to choose what they carried.

Currently SOCOM supports the G19. Parts, holsters, magazines, spare guns, replacement guns, etc. if any unit under that command wants anything different, the respective branch has to financially support the weapons system.

Hence, why the SEALS dumped the P226. The Navy could pay for them, or SOCOM would provide Glocks. It was a no brained on the part of the Navy to let SOCOM pick up the tab. Both are great guns.

I’d also say that the green units under the SOCOM tit have little or no variance in what they carry. CAG and DevGru notwithstanding, of course. Though, CAG I know is Glock heavy. How they got there is a really interesting story as well.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Currently SOCOM supports the G19. Parts, holsters, magazines, spare guns, replacement guns, etc. if any unit under that command wants anything different, the respective branch has to financially support the weapons system.

Hence, why the SEALS dumped the P226. The Navy could pay for them, or SOCOM would provide Glocks. It was a no brained on the part of the Navy to let SOCOM pick up the tab. Both are great guns.

I’d also say that the green units under the SOCOM tit have little or no variance in what they carry. CAG and DevGru notwithstanding, of course. Though, CAG I know is Glock heavy. How they got there is a really interesting story as well.

Yup, if the unit has the weapon in it's armory and the parts/ammo is available, you can use it. However, if going down range and just a handful of guys have an odd-ball/exotic, particularly a support weapon like a sidearm, then it CAN present a logistics headache.

The switch to Glocks besides streamlining the T&E and overall financials, was also a pragmatic switch away from full-sized pistols. 17+ years of combat have reinforced the perspective that weight issues are still paramount, and lugging around 3#'s of 'might get used weight' versus something smaller that does the same thing while on a multi-week patrol, made the decision to switch very easy.

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post