SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "Midway blockbuster starring Woody Harrelson to begin filming next month on Oahu"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Midway blockbuster starring Woody Harrelson to begin filming next month on Oahu" Login/Join 
posted
https://www.navytimes.com/off-...-next-month-on-oahu/

Midway blockbuster starring Woody Harrelson to begin filming next month on Oahu

By: J.D. Simkins   23 minutes ago

The filmmaker behind massive hits like “Independence Day" and “The Patriot” has locked in a filming location for a remake of the 1976 movie “Midway," starring Charlton Heston and Henry Fonda, about the decisive 1942 naval battle that became a turning point for U.S. forces in the war in the Pacific.

After scouting filming locations around Pearl Harbor, German director Roland Emmerich settled on Oahu, and will begin filming the $100-million blockbuster next month at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickham. The same location was most recently used to film Cameron Crowe’s offensively awful film “Aloha,” starring Bradley Cooper and Emma Stone.

Woody Harrelson will be starring as the legendary Adm. Chester Nimitz, who, with the help of innovative U.S. codebreakers, foiled a Japanese ambush at Midway on June 4, 1942, less than a month after the conclusion of the Battle of the Coral Sea.

Luke Evans (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women”) will star as Cmdr. Wade McClusky, who received the Navy Cross for his actions during the Battle of Midway. Mandy Moore and Patrick Wilson have also been confirmed for roles in the film, which is expected to be released sometime in late 2019.

Navy officials have emphasized that Emmerich and crew, a team that includes Mark Gordon, who assisted with the production of “Saving Private Ryan,” “are dead-set on making sure it’s a historically accurate [film],” the Star-Advertiser reported. Last month, a call went out for local military members and their families to serve as extras in the film, a request that received almost 1,500 responses.

Filming is also expected to take place in Canada, among other potential locations.

Knowing when and where the enemy planned to attack in June 1942 allowed Adm. Nimitz to dispatch the carriers Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown to ambush the unsuspecting Japanese navy. Aircraft from the three U.S. ships would wind up sinking four of Japan’s lead carriers, a devastating blow that decimated Japanese dominance at sea and allowed U.S. forces to go on the offensive in the Pacific.

The Yorktown was damaged in the Battle of the Coral Sea and limped into Pearl Harbor only eight days before Midway. But with battle imminent, she was quickly patched up and prepared for a fight after 1,400 shipyard workers spent 72 hours readying the carrier, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser.

“There are few moments in American history in which the course of events tipped so suddenly and so dramatically as at the Battle of Midway,” author Craig Symonds wrote in his book, “The Battle of Midway.” “At dawn of June 4, 1942, a rampaging Japanese navy ruled the Pacific. By sunset, their vaunted carrier force (the Kido Butai) had been sunk and their grip on the Pacific had been loosened forever.”

==============================================

A pal run this www site about abandoned airfields:

http://www.airfields-freeman.c..._Pacific.htm#eastern

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Woody Harrelson, the one who was on TV at the beginning of Desert Storm calling for those of us on aircraft carriers to sabotage the catapults thereby not allowing the bad war to happen against the good people of Iraq.

I remember him...now he's going to star in a war movie. hmmmm

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
He's a hypocritical fuck. Unfortunately, most of Hollyweird is, and Harrelson has been entertaining in a lot of roles, and I'll probably see this movie based on the premise alone.

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for some reviews here before seeing it. I've been disappointed too many times with other remakes.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the original movie, and am very familiar with the story and history. When Eastwood produced the movie about Iwo Jima from the Japanese point of view, that was of interest. I don't see that sort of thing was this film.

There are so many other battles and stories that have not been told.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given the Michael Bay/Ben Afleck abortion called Pearl Harbor, I will withhold any judgment or, praise. Hollywood has a history of f'ing up military battles, engagements and topics in the interest of creating art or, creative license.

There's no art in history, either do it right, or, don't do it at all.

At $100m that ain't much of a budget. Navy Times you're a bunch of idiots to refer to that as a blockbuster. Not sure what kind of CGI they're going to be able to generate with that kind of budget. To recreate the IJN Kido Butai let alone the US fleet, is gonna take some genius archival research and CGI work. Are they also going to include Yamamoto's fleet to include the Yamato? There's likely a call for every Wildcat, Dauntless, Devestator in existence and who knows how many flyable Zero's or Kate's there are... How are they going to portray Fletcher...the original Midway movie made him look like a chump, when in fact he was just as big a hero as Spruance.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
The original Midway movie had a 'love interest' story (Charlton Heston's son was in love with a Japanese/American internee), but it didn't dominate the story. The original 1976 movie is one of my top 5 favorite war movies of all time.

This one will be a disappointment, no matter how good the CGI is.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21838 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
So we have a certifiable fuckup in Woody Harrelson AND we get Roland Emmerich? Not a chance...

Posts: 4154 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will be interesting to see the full casting. Hard to beat the original all star cast.

Emmerich did direct the Patriot, so, who knows?

Uncertain how he can improve on the film's historical accuracy. The original was pretty close.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
We will see. BUT I know this is heresy on the Forum but I do not think the original has aged well. I remember seeing it in the theater as a kid and loving it. But now the tacked on love story and the Executive Order 9066 angle seem well tacked on. Hal Holbrook's portrayal as the Commander of the signals intel group seems a bit odd to me know. I most likely will be more satisfied browsing YouTube for Midway content then seeing this remake. But I think a there is case to be made for a remake.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Ha, woody harrelson as Adm, Nimitz. I wouldn't watch him if he was playing some dumb hick bartender. Surely they can find better actors beside these America hating, Military hating assholes.

quote:
Political views
Harrelson identifies as an anarchist. In a conversation with Howard Zinn, Harrelson admitted that he considers Zinn to be a personal hero of his. In 2002, Harrelson wrote an article in the British newspaper The Guardian condemning President George W. Bush's preparation for a US invasion of Iraq as a "racist and imperialist war". He also stated that he was against the USA's previous war in Iraq and President Bill Clinton's sanctions against Iraq.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:Hal Holbrook's portrayal as the Commander of the signals intel group seems a bit odd to me know.

Why is that?
Joe Rochefort was an eccentric, non-Annapolis grad who rubbed the establishment; Holbrook's portrayal, non-bathing and bathrobe w/khakis was accurate. Like Admiral Fletcher, Rochefort was jobbed-out of post-war recognition and down played in the immediate history writing after war. Nimitz had his recommendation to award him the Distinguished Service Medal denied TWICE, it was finally awarded to him 10-years after he died in '86.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Roland Emmerich.... pass

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just watched it....Tom Selleck is in it!

He's on Midway, no mustache, wearing a old WWI helmet, he's the aide to the commander of the island.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Will be interesting to see the full casting. Hard to beat the original all star cast.

Krappernick will be in it. He and Harrelson take a knee every morning during colors because being called "colors" is racist.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post