SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Talk me out of... Remington Model 1858 (1861?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk me out of... Remington Model 1858 (1861?) Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted
I've been watching too much "Pale Rider." I really covet one of these, and want to get a conversion cylinder. Or two. Thinking I might like the 36 (Navy model?) better than the 44.

I realize it's just a phase, but it's not letting me go. Help me understand why I don't need it, and it's never gonna hold any value, and I should save my toilet paper money for something else.

Assistance please.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Reason for two dates, I understand that they came up with it in 1858 but didn't come out til 1861, so someone wrote that there is no such thing as a Model 1858. I plead ignorance, and will accept correction/informing.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just walk down the aisle and hang a left into the handgun department, you'll get more replies there.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3525 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Do it.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Just walk down the aisle and hang a left into the handgun department, you'll get more replies there.

Probably accurate.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
If you want it then get it. Nothing wrong with getting something you want if it doesnt break the bank.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the currently produced model is really an 1863; there were some slight modifications between 1858 to 1863, but as it was initially introduced in 1858, that is what they are called. These were 44 caliber and that is what the current Italian reproductions are in as well. (They may also make a 36 caliber one, but I'm not up on that model.)

As for Pale Rider, I read somewhere it was an original adapted to take cartridges; that may or may not be true; I have a link to a pic somewhere, will look for it.

I prefer Uberti as opposed to Pietta made ones and have used Taylor's Firearms 6 shot conversion cylinders in 45 colt. Be aware, full cases of black powder in 45 colt will buck like a bronc and I have found the Remmies, given the grip angle and size, tend to whack my knuckle pretty hard. Using it as a cap and ball is much more comfortable, with very mild recoil (the conversion cylinders are drop-ins and the revolver can be put back to cap and ball by simply putting the cap and ball cylinder back in). Per the seller, the conversion cylinders are rated for mild Cowboy Action smokeless powder loads but I have never used smokeless powder in them; just doesn't feel right!

Be aware, if you go down this path, you may find the need for a holster and belt, long frock coat, hat etc. as well!

Link added; look about half way down on the left side; pic has a red background; click on it to enlarge:
http://www.scorrs.net/index.php?pg=gallery

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I AM going to talk you out of buying one of these.

Because you clearly need TWO of them in order to play Cowboy with us!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Rolan I figured I'd see you in here sooner or later. You have one or two of these? Or did you go with the later Colts?

I've just always loved the shape and look of these things, but I have no desire to load cap and ball ammo either. So I like the cylinder conversions. BUT, if you watch the original scenes where he changes to a fresh cylinder, or in the pics Sac Johnson points to, he doesn't have the conversion "cap" on the rear of the cylinder like Taylor and Co., et al, have on theirs. His looks way better. I'm thinking that may cost some coin, but I bet it's a blast to shoot too!

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

posted Hide Post
Howdy again!
There were numerous ways to convert cap and ball Remmies to cartridge in the late 1860s. (Check out the book "A Study of Colt Conversions and other Percussion Revolvers" by R. Bruce McDowell; chapter 3 is on Remmies, for more information than one would ever need/want on the subject!)
The Pale Rider gun looks like a Remington/Smith and Wesson 1868 type conversion with cartridge ejector (Remington made a deal with S&W as they held the patent on bored-though cylinders at the time). This would be strictly a gunsmith conversion now if you started with a cap and ball model. You could also just go with a cartridge conversion model (can convert back to cap and ball, though), as Uberti makes these now; see link:

https://www.taylorsfirearms.co...gton-conversion.html

(As these are cartridge guns initially, you need to go through an FFL.)

Another type of conversion cylinder is made by Kirst; see this link:

https://www.kirstkonverter.com/1858-remington.html

(Like Rolan, I, too, have been a long time Cowboy Action Shooter!)

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
The confusion about the New Mdl. Remington is the Patent Dates. The inventor of the Remington's was Fordyce Beals. Mr. Beals Patent was granted in 1858. The Patent date 1858 is on the barrel Remington barrels. E. Remington produced the Remington revolvers from 1863-1875. This was during the Civil War 1861-1865. Colt had the Government contract for handguns. Colt's plant was destroyed by fire in 1863. E. Remington charged .50 Cents more than Colt. This would be $12 dollars more in today's currency.
Fordyce Beals Patents produced by Remington covered 3 basic Remingtons. The Army Mdl..44, The Navy Mdl. 36, and a Beal's Pocket .31 caliber. The frames were all different in size. A note the, Rogers & Spencer .457 Caliber produced and never issued was the apex of percussion handguns. The Ruger Old Army would be produced with the Rogers & Spencer improvments.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
slabsides45,

No. I have Rugers, but I appreciate the originals.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post