SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Next Generation Gaming Consoles - PS5 and Xbox Series X
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next Generation Gaming Consoles - PS5 and Xbox Series X Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I was just looking at the info on the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Anyone buying one of these?

I am questioning whether now is the time for these. On most prior consoles (especially Xbox) it seems like it took them a while to iron out the bugs. For 4k gaming, it seems like either the the PS Pro or Xbox One X is more than sufficient today. The One X also does 4k movies on disc.

Any features that are big selling points right now?

Personally, I think the physical designs are horrible for anyone wanting to have either in their main living room. With a bit of luck, they will refine this in the future to something more traditional.

The current offerings seem to be stepping stones to 8k video and games, which I believe will be a couple years yet before becoming mainstream.

I buy one or two games a year anyhow - these are my primary means of streaming content, which Xbox has won in the past by both allowing my universal remote to turn it on plus the physical 4k disc option.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Wait and see. First off pre orders are sold out. Second it’s always nice to see what bugs pop up.

That said the game changer for these systems are much faster load times and seemless game play area transitions. Due to extremely fast SSD I/O.

I wouldn’t expect HUGE LEAPS graphically but from a gameplay / useability standpoint I think this generation will be a paradigm shift.

As with any console it will take a couple years for games to really take advantage of the new hardware.

The physical designs are really for one reason and one reason alone. Heat dissipation. They are basically big exhaust ports to allow for quieter fans and more efficient cooling.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Personally I have both. the PS4 is our everything family box. and the xbox is on my desk and I play on it. So there is no chance I am upgrading both anytime soon. IF there is an upgrade it will likely be the PS5 since it would be on the 4k tv. my monitor is not 4k and will not be anytime soon. I just do not use the xbox that much.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We'll be getting a PS5. I'm going to miss the R2D2 beeps from our Xbox 360 Star Wars Edition.

My understanding is they go on sale on Thursday.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have an Xbox One and PS4 but I am a “PlayStation guy” going back to the PS2.

Barring any craziness I will get a PS5 after a year or so. I will likely end up with an Xbox at a later time after that.

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've had every console from Microsoft and Sony since the beginning.

My PS4 has only been used to play Last of Us and Last of Us 2 (sort of, I bought it, it's still sealed).

My two Xbox Series S arrived today. Setting one up now for my son. I'm debating opening the second one or trying to find an X. My current console is the Project Scorpio (One X) and it's doing fine for me right now.

If I can get an X before the end of the year I'll switch to that. If I can't find one, I'll open the second S.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Haven’t had a console in many years. I’m ordering a PS5.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'll eventually pick up the PS5. I have a PS4 now, so I like that it can still play those games. I'm holding out for the sequel to Horizon: Zero Dawn and the Harry Potter RPG.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll get a PS5 whenever they are widely released but I'm in no rush as the current game releases have failed to blow my skirt up. Sadly I'm most interested in surrendering my 4 to the family room so I can put this in my study.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Xbox backwards compatibility is the main reason why I believe there´s NO rush to get the next Gen Xbox.

They are still releasing Original Xbox games as freebies with the (paying internet access) subscription.

That is kind of a handbrake in my book. I love it on one side but on the other it leaves me at least a year until they iron out all the hardware and software issues of the new console.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Tried to order tonight for the second time (PS5). This is such a pain in the ass just to get on a waiting list or jump online at the specified time that I think I’m going to say fuck Sony and fuck the PS5 altogether. I may just decide to never buy the damn thing. What a pain in the ass. Some store, let me put my name down with a deposit or the full amount and if it comes in January, fine. I’m tired of jumping through hoops with some fucking corporation to buy product. I just don’t need to spend my money that bad. This industry is just fucked up.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Tried to order tonight for the second time (PS5). This is such a pain in the ass just to get on a waiting list or jump online at the specified time that I think I’m going to say fuck Sony and fuck the PS5 altogether. I may just decide to never buy the damn thing. What a pain in the ass. Some store, let me put my name down with a deposit or the full amount and if it comes in January, fine. I’m tired of jumping through hoops with some fucking corporation to buy product. I just don’t need to spend my money that bad. This industry is just fucked up.

Check the Costco website on release day first thing in the morning.

EDIT Didn’t notice today was release day. Sold out but Iwould keep checking throughout the day, maybe in store too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Oz_Shadow,

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I had the PS5 in my cart on samsclub.com several times and every time I hit checkout, it was removed from my cart. My wife is going to keep an eye on other sites today. Either we'll get one or we won't.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I'll get a PS5 whenever they are widely released but I'm in no rush as the current game releases have failed to blow my skirt up. Sadly I'm most interested in surrendering my 4 to the family room so I can put this in my study.

I’m looking forward to the Miles Morales update to Spider-Man and Valhalla but I’m never in too much of a hurry to grab the next Gen. I’ll probably finish THPS remaster and Odyssey and then see what the hype is next year or so. My son has been begging to move my PS4 up to the bonus room so that may make me jump in sooner rather than later but I doubt it.

When I do, it’ll be the PS5. I’ve never owned an XBox.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Check the Costco website on release day first thing in the morning.

EDIT Didn’t notice today was release day. Sold out but Iwould keep checking throughout the day, maybe in store too.

I had 6 different browser windows open last night for every place that sold it online. Nothing.

posted Hide Post
I hate when companies do this. If you can’t meet the demand for a product don’t release it until you can. I remember when Sony released the PS2 and they would trickle into the stores 3 or 4 at a time. They weren’t readily available for months.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I hate when companies do this. If you can’t meet the demand for a product don’t release it until you can. I remember when Sony released the PS2 and they would trickle into the stores 3 or 4 at a time. They weren’t readily available for months.

It's the same thing today. I think I'm out. I'll return the game I ordered for this thing and I will never buy one. If companies can't give you a list to fill out your information to order a product then they can go fuck themselves. These console companies seem to want everyone to fight, and kill themselves to order. Video games are not worth this sort of bs and aggravation to me. I'll find something else to do. I wanted a PS5, bad, to give me something to do to take my mind off death. No joy.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Welcome to modern marketing. Create scarcity and therefore create demand.

I see it in many many products.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
and people are paying the scalpers so it's just going to continue. let them sit on it and sell for cost once supply meets demand. i can wait. there's no game out now that i want to play on either system.

i'm still waiting to find a series x in stock.
in the meantime maybe i will finally open up last of us 2 and use my ps4 again.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don’t think I have ever bought a console close to release. I have plenty of games backlogged or that I enjoy replaying not to mention games released at launch are rarely the spectacle that they are a few years in.

I mean hell I still play stuff on my PS3. I FINALLY got around to playing Dishonored on that not too long ago and enjoyed the heck out of it. So I’m fairly easy. Smile