SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Next Generation Gaming Consoles - PS5 and Xbox Series X
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next Generation Gaming Consoles - PS5 and Xbox Series X Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the PS3/Xbox 360 generation were the first consoles to really give the users a full and long term experience graphically, sound and overall capability. I still play stuff on a PS3 that is completely fleshed out and wonderful today.

The PS4/Xbox one generation have some jaw dropping titles. That will stand the test of time.

This new generation of consoles won’t come into their own for a good year or two IMO and I doubt graphical fidelity or sound will change much, but their I/O speeds are so fast that they will make the user experience MUCH better while also allowing new gameplay experiences.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can download and use the Unreal engine for free* too!!!

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
My daughter just bought Monster Hunter: World for $15 and I'm floored how good it looks. A few years old but fun gameplay and a stunning world. She's in love with it.

A granddaughter is getting the PS4 for Christmas and I bought her a wireless headset for it. I thought I might pick up a game or two for her as well.

I don't know how old your daughter is but would you recommend that game for a 12 year old? I see it is rated "Teen".

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I think we got one!

Apparently, my daughter had one in her cart from the last time we tried and she ran her computer over to me. I logged in, used the prestored credit card, put in the 3 digit code, hit review order, hit place order, it said thank you for you order with a confirmation number, and I got a confirmation email.

Posts: 10914 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally got a series s from Wal mart yesterday. Actually, I got two but they canceled my order later on supposedly because of suspicion of fraud. That’s an incredibly stupid policy. They should have sent me an alert and asked for a confirmation, you should never just cancel orders. I tried to buy a PS5 from Best Buy but no luck. They stupidly force you to choose a store and order from it. Well, the store is instantly out of inventory and by the time you choose another they’re all cleaned out. The Sony direct store is terrible too. You wait forever to get into a queue, where you wait forever again, then they’re all gone.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just played Ghosts of Tsushima and Astro’s Playroom for a few hours. If you snag a PS5 play Astro’s Playroom just to get a feel for all the controller can do. It really is a massive change. I haven’t “gamed” in 10 years so it’s like a 55 pickup to a brand new full size V8 with all the trimmings. I taught a good friend how to hunt these things. He got lucky, snagged one, checked it out for an hour or so then sold it to me for cost.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Tsushima looks great on a PS4, but amazing on a 5.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone played a Xbox series X yet? I finally found one but I won't be able to play it until tomorrow. I was really leaning towards a PS5 but I couldn't get one and I'm already neck deep into the Xbox ecosystem.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3527 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My series X has been fine. I’ve installed COD Cold War on it but rarely play it. It is faster when switching between games but I still manually quit a game when I am done.

I’ve done remote play on my iphone and android. Wish it would work with Win10.

My son has been having issues with games crashing on his series S.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Has anyone played a Xbox series X yet? I finally found one but I won't be able to play it until tomorrow. I was really leaning towards a PS5 but I couldn't get one and I'm already neck deep into the Xbox ecosystem.

My friend has the X, yeah it's pretty incredible. On paper better hardware than the PS5. And it already supports Dolby Vision. Like you he was way into the X box thing. he's bought every single one of them and wanted the backward compatibility. So get yourself a good external SSD (we both bought Samsung T7's). I bought a 1TB SSD as it will only be fore PS4 games that I recently bought on the cheap. He bought a 2TB version because he's got a lot of X Box games over the years. Happy gaming and I think you made the right choice.

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Hope Santa came through for those that were hoping for one.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I thought these things would be in stock everywhere now that the holidays are over. Anyone that upgraded the Xbox to the Series X want to share their impressions? PS4 to 5?

I still have my One X mostly video streaming console.

Posts: 17881 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just keep looking. My friend that made the Xbox Series X is pretty impressed and he is what I’d consider a hardcore gamer. Tariffs are fucking with new console importation. Not much longer until they are readily available. Jake Randall is a good kid on YouTube. If you watch his channel he will tell you when to expect the sellers to sell each new console on what day/time. You still have to hunt currently. The only way I got one was teaching a coworker how to hunt these things down and he sold me his. The general thinking is 8 more weeks and this will all get easier.

Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
If you want a next gen console my advice is get the telegram app and follow the channel now in stock. It’ll message you when it’s in stock with a link. Sometimes the link takes you to Best Buy sometimes to Walmart etc. I got a ps5 for myself and a coworker this way. One from Costco and one from Walmart.

Posts: 841 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I had a local Xbox Series X secured in my cart for local pickup but just couldn’t talk myself into buying it. $500 is a tough one to justify when my regular X is ok even if I do want it.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I had a local Xbox Series X secured in my cart for local pickup but just couldn’t talk myself into buying it. $500 is a tough one to justify when my regular X is ok even if I do want it.

I’m telling you. It’s not for a year or two before a new generation of console becomes worth it IMO. The previous Gen is riding games written buy folks at the TIPPY TOP of their game for that generation while the new generation usually has a dirth of titles, the programmers don’t have their groove yet and many of the titles are re-masters.

For me, personally, it will probably be year 2 or 3 before I upgrade. I still have a ton of games to work through and I have even recently played some PS3 games again that were amazing.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Skip the S and just get the X. My son is having issues with the S so I'm trying to find him an X. We have no issues with my X.
I got a PS5 in last week and it's still in the box. I bought it to play FF7 and TLOU2 since my daughter stole my PS4. But I'm willing to trade the PS5 for another Series X if I can find someone local with it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bot buyers have made it practically impossible to get either of these consoles now. I managed to get a one x from wal mart in December and I've been trying to get another or a ps5 since then. The other day was mart got some ps5s in stock and they sell a certain amount every 10 minutes. I went through 10 of these order windows and they were literally sold out instantly, every single time. I'd rather they just put some in the stores, you might have a chance then.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
There is a data lover stream that is up 24/7. Use this on the weekdays. It’s how I got my PS5 in December. You hear that buzzer go off, be fast and you will score.

https://youtu.be/JaZjaJARu24

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about this thread. I am amazed that these are still in such short supply. I see the cheaper Xbox a lot but never the X. Computer video cards are equally hard to find.