SIGforum
Big Bang Theory To End After 12th Season (Next Year)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8020019534

January 11, 2018, 12:49 PM
Ronin1069
Big Bang Theory To End After 12th Season (Next Year)
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
5 or 6 years is about the max run for any show. After that 6th year everything gets long in the tooth and rehashed.

Agreed. See also: NCIS

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
January 12, 2018, 04:51 PM
Blackmore
It's pretty much Friends with nerds instead of Manhattanites.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act
January 12, 2018, 10:17 PM
shiftyvtec
The only network tv I watch is the local(ish) news in the morning and evening. After the news moves to sports, I tune out and work outside or browse the internets all the while leaving the tv on. Around the time were making dinner the BBT airs. The theme song is my que to change the station. I have never watched a full episode but all the characters seem to emulate a bunch of pantywaisted snowflakes to me; not something I'll willingly subject myself to.

I will say several of my friends watch it and think it's great. Some of these guys I would never have expected to watch such pansies. And the laugh track....
January 12, 2018, 11:19 PM
RichN
I thought last season stumbled a bit, but I'm really enjoying this season.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
January 13, 2018, 12:19 AM
drew3630
I thought the first couple of seasons were funny but I can't bear to watch it now. It should have ended years ago instead of dying a slow death as the quality goes down and the only laughs are from the laugh track.
January 13, 2018, 09:36 AM
goose5
I really enjoy this show. Its about time it ends, but it will live on forever in syndication.

January 13, 2018, 04:24 PM
bendable
sheldon got old at season three, since then he has just been annoying

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
January 14, 2018, 10:42 PM
Spokane228
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:
I thought the first couple of seasons were funny but I can't bear to watch it now. It should have ended years ago instead of dying a slow death as the quality goes down and the only laughs are from the laugh track.

As annoying as it is. It’s not a laugh track. It’s an audience that they mix in post.
January 15, 2018, 07:05 PM
SpinZone
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
I have never watched a full episode but all the characters seem to emulate a bunch of pantywaisted snowflakes to me; not something I'll willingly subject myself to.

I think you have missed the point of comedy TV. What makes it funny is that they are a bunch of pantywaisted snowflakes. You are supposed to laugh at them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

January 18, 2018, 01:54 AM
smpsmp
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I hate this show. I hate the laugh track. I HATE that guy's whiny voice.

My wife and kids love it. I can't stand to be in the room with it on.

The "Young Sheldon" show is leaps and bounds better, but for that whiny voice.

I'm with you. I hear people talk about and wonder how the fuck they can stand that voice plus how his character is. I can't stand people like that in real life and don't want to watch it for fun either.
January 18, 2018, 10:29 AM
jhe888
I never thought much of this show. It is a very average network sitcom. But that aside, 12 years is way too long. There isn't that much material.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 23, 2018, 03:44 PM
PASig
Confirmed, it's done after this season:

quote:

With a reported salary near $1 million per episode, Parsons—along with his four original costars Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Kunal Nayyar, and Simon Helberg—stood to make more than $50 million including profits if he agreed to stay on TBBT for two more years, which is what CBS was trying to negotiate. But Parsons was ready to say goodbye to the ensemble sitcom that made him a household name. Since there is no show without Dr. Sheldon Cooper, next spring’s 12th season finale of The Big Bang Theory will mark the end of the longest-running multi-camera series in TV history.

Thank God they aren't going to try and milk it without Sheldon Cooper like The Office did without Michael Scott and it sucked.

We Can Thank Jim Parsons For Finally Killing The Big Bang Theory

August 23, 2018, 05:29 PM
46and2
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
Originally posted by drew3630:

As annoying as it is. It’s not a laugh track. It’s an audience that they mix in post.

I can't stand it, but yeah - it's a live audience.
August 23, 2018, 07:06 PM
nhtagmember
I got tired of the Sheldon character about 4 years ago

for someone supposedly pretty bright, he's really pretty stupid

the shtick got old

time to go

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

August 23, 2018, 08:15 PM
46and2
I once heard Big Bang Theory described as "a show about smart people for dumb people", and Rick & Morty and SouthPark as "a show about dumb people for smart people", both of which are exaggerations but do get at a point. I know that lots of real world scientists and STEM and Comicon/cosplay nerds don't care for BBT or its portrayal of their "cultures".

I don't care. I find the first handful of seasons hilarious, up to maybe Howard's wedding or maybe up until Leonard's wedding. I like the addition of the Amy and Bernadette characters. Can't stand Bernadette's screechy voice, but their couple arc isn't terrible, and the singing episode when she's in quarantine is good, for that sort of thing, and I think Amy is a funny one pretty much throughout - she does awkward funny well, naturally I'm sure...

But it's gone on too long, no doubt. More shows should quit while they're ahead.
August 23, 2018, 08:55 PM
oddball
Years ago, I tried to watch one episode.

I simply did not get it. It wasn't the least bit funny to me, nor was it entertaining to me. And I liked various sitcoms like Seinfeld, Mary Tyler Moore, etc.

12 years is a looong time for a sitcom.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
August 23, 2018, 09:12 PM
SR025
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Thank God they aren't going to try and milk it without Sheldon Cooper like The Office did without Michael Scott and it sucked.

Yeah not a good way to end such a great show like The Office.

Big bang was great for a while then just fell off.
August 24, 2018, 07:07 AM
Todd Huffman
It probably should have ended about two years ago, but it's definitely time to close it down. I loved the show in the beginning, but ever since Leonard and Penny got married the show has declined rapidly.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
August 24, 2018, 04:05 PM
satch
The best episode for us is when Howard had the robot hand grab ahold of his junk, and then the nurse at the hospital stole the scene. It's had a good run time to close it down.
August 24, 2018, 04:33 PM
RichN
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
It probably should have ended about two years ago, but it's definitely time to close it down. I loved the show in the beginning, but ever since Leonard and Penny got married the show has declined rapidly.

Lat year I would have agreed, but this year has really bounced back. I hope it goes out on a high note. Overall I've enjoyed it immensely.

It's probably my favorite comedy series of all time. "All in the Family" might take favorite, depending on what kind of mood I'm in when you ask me.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)